Mastercard to raise fees for EU purchase (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I particularly didn't like the bit about Amazon

Never mind, we've got our freedom back

The card issuers have form:

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Nissan appear to be taking advantage.......not picking sides, just a story that only got brief mention considering they’ve invested £4Billion to take their UK development and production forward.

Like I say, not picking sides just looking forward. ;)

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
The UK has left the EU so no EU deals apply to the UK.

Seems that people are not getting this message.

What ever your politics, this is NOT a political conversation anymore it’s reality get on with it

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Be interesting to see what MasterCard did, if half their customers switched to Visa....

So you don't think Visa will do the same? They will have an obligation to their shareholders to maximise profits, so I would expect something similar soon.

Mick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
We have been properly left for 22 days. There are going to be early issues, we had been warned. In a few years we will have forgotten about most of them. Do you think we will have a vote in the future on joining the EU or allowing Scotland to rejoin the UK having left but not happy at the extra taxes.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
So you don't think Visa will do the same? They will have an obligation to their shareholders to maximise profits, so I would expect something similar soon.

Mick
They wouldn’t if people switched in vast numbers....but reality is, people won’t switch...and retailers will absorb it and pass it on.....so visa probably will follow. People don’t seem to switch financial products (bank accounts, credit cards etc) very often.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Nissan appear to be taking advantage.......not picking sides, just a story that only got brief mention considering they’ve invested £4Billion to take their UK development and production forward.

Wonder why that didnt get a good news story ? Any suggestions?

Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
Just how long do you think before banks charge a fee for personal current accounts that don't include any benefits?

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013

Yes they are looking forward to there 86million bailout and reduction in Workers rights.
Because it looks like Nissan had a 80 million pound sweetner to stay in the U.K.
And soon to be followed with reduced workers rights.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Oh well, was worth a try at moving on......doesn’t matter what I voted, I just recognise moving on is the only way forward. You could say the EU is using their might as a cartel, as per the news today, but what would be the point (just using it as an example, not a point of view).........dipping out here. :imoutahere: ;)

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Oh well, was worth a try at moving on......doesn’t matter what I voted, I just recognise moving on is the only way forward. You could say the EU is using their might as a cartel, as per the news today, but what would be the point (just using it as an example, not a point of view).........dipping out here. :imoutahere: ;)
The EU didn’t make the decision, they are not using credit cards to hit us brits, we weren’t kicked out we chose to go, no point moaning now, your right the only option is to move on

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I note that the BBC article contains this comment from MasterCard:

061C9A0D-54DE-4278-8FA6-1C1C54EAB8C6.jpeg

They appear to be saying - or at least implying - that this huge increase in fees is somehow an inevitable consequence of B****t. That is disingenuous.

The only effect of us leaving the EU is that MasterCard are no longer bound by the EU limits on the level of fees. MasterCard did not have to wack their fees up, they have chosen to do so because they can. I pass no comment on this, other than to say that their attempt to pretend that this was something that they had to do is pretty shabby.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Oh well, was worth a try at moving on......doesn’t matter what I voted, I just recognise moving on is the only way forward. You could say the EU is using their might as a cartel, as per the news today, but what would be the point (just using it as an example, not a point of view).........dipping out here. :imoutahere:
Yes, the EU used their might as a cartel to cap the charge rate on credit cards. Now we're free of those massive restrictions, I see the UK is using its might to do the same thing.as well. That's going well, isn't it.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Yes they are looking forward to there 86million bailout and reduction in Workers rights.

And soon to be followed with reduced workers rights.
Where does it say reduction of workers rights??? You a UNION man?

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Sapper520 I think you and I are “across the fence” from each other, but it is interesting our common ground is that moving on is proving harder than would be ideal, and we both feel the need to leave threads like this that seem to plummet quickly👍

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Just how long do you think before banks charge a fee for personal current accounts that don't include any benefits?
Right up until the point they think they can get away with it without losing too many of the customers they want.
That‘s the beauty of a free market - but we all have to make sure we’re on the ball and moving when we should

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back