Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
What a wonderful location for an Aire at Bilbao, even in the rain, and even for €15.

We took the bus down to town and were a bit embarrased as everyone was wearing a mask - we had plenty in the van but never gave it a thought.

When it was time to return, the bus arrived and the driver refused to let us on because we had no masks. He claimed it would be a €6000 fine and no bus driver or taxi would take us back to the Aire.

Being a Sunday afternoon virtually everywhere was shut. The one duty pharmacist in Bilbao was nowhere near us. We called into the nearest open places to beg/buy masks. We drew a blank at nearby hotels and shops. Even an ambulance claimed to not have any!

In despair we retreated to a pub. A customer offered us two masks in exchange for a coffee.

Our fault, obviously, but saved by a kind resident. Be warned!

Attachments

• 8DC31DE3-3294-4168-B57F-D74AF1C78DA0.jpeg
    8DC31DE3-3294-4168-B57F-D74AF1C78DA0.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 115

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
Yes masks on buses and in pharmacies etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We got caught out on the tram last Friday, we were only going from Villajoyosa to the shopping centre La Marina just outside Benidorm, luckily I found one in the coat I was wearing and my wife found something that goes around her head so we managed.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We saw quite a few people refused travel on the bus when we were there, suspect they were tourists like us.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Thanks for the heads up……travelling to Lanzarote on Thursday so assume I’ll need masks on the transfer bus? Maybe inside airport terminal too? No mention of requirements by the travel company!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks for the heads up……travelling to Lanzarote on Thursday so assume I’ll need masks on the transfer bus? Maybe inside airport terminal too? No mention of requirements by the travel company!
You won't need them in the airport. Don't know about transfer buses but will if you go on a tour around Tiramanfeya.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It is important to show respect to the rules of any country we visit.
I think that the issue was more that folk are surprised that mask laws are still in place when the UK dropped the mask requirements ages ago. We had no idea that we had to wear them when getting onto a bus in Spain.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our last trip to Spain we didn't use public transport if we had we would have been caught out. I thought mask wearing had stopped everywhere.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We took the bus down to town and were a bit embarrased as everyone was wearing a mask - we had plenty in the van but never gave it a thought.
I'm amazed they let you on the first bus?
We had no idea that we had to wear them when getting onto a bus in Spain.
It is any type of public transport , bus, train , taxi & is also supposed to be planes that are spanish operated or leaving from/travelling in to spain..
Our last trip to Spain we didn't use public transport if we had we would have been caught out. I thought mask wearing had stopped everywhere.
In addition it is any medical facility, doctors, dentist, opticians, hospital,Chemist.

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Compulsory on public transport in the Nerja region

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks for this. Very timely as we fly out on Friday with 24 kids. This is the link to the official rules. We’ll add it to our parents info evening on Wednesday.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm amazed they let you on the first bus?

It is any type of public transport , bus, train , taxi & is also supposed to be planes that are spanish operated or leaving from/travelling in to spain..

In addition it is any medical facility, doctors, dentist, opticians, hospital,Chemist.
We weren't requested to wear masks when leaving Lanzarote.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
What a wonderful location for an Aire at Bilbao, even in the rain, and even for €15.

When it was time to return, the bus arrived and the driver refused to let us on because we had no masks. He claimed it would be a €6000 fine and no bus driver or taxi would take us back to the Aire.

That’s an amazing Aire, I recall staying there a few years back.

Feb 6, 2019
No fixed address, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
Bring it just in case and see what the story is when you're there. In my area, only about 20-30% compliance wth the mask wearing on the train (bus I can't say but maybe the driver's pivotal here). I have been served and have seen others as well in pharmacies with no mask, but in the GPs and local hospital it is 100% & enforced.

The guidance at work is that even if you have covid (or a cold/flu) you can wear a mask and come in, provided you're well enough but you must get medical certification from the get-go if you can't attend work. To shield the potentially vulnerable, most people don't come in if they know they have covid, but since testing has pretty much stopped, many people wouldn't be able to tell it from a cold.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Thanks for posting, hadn’t realised or even thought to check. We’re off soon.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Which resort?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
we are in Lanzarote and carry masks for taxi’s

The driver won’t necessarily insist you wear one, as it’s your responsibility not his or hers, but woe betide you if Plod see’s you

Not been on a bus as taxi’s are cheaper

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We got caught out in San Sebastian last September, got refused so went back to Aire to get some then got on next bus only to find it was going out of town not in, so crossed over for correct one😟. We walked back from the funicular. It seems an odd thing especially as you were able to be cheeky by jowl in all the tapas bars but had to wear a mask sitting 3m from the nearest person on the bus, also had to hold dog on my lap🤔

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Yes, we have them in the car, our pockets, bags, coats, everywhere.

But a Funster told me the other day, you cannot take dogs on public transport ?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
we are in Lanzarote and carry masks for taxi’s

The driver won’t necessarily insist you wear one, as it’s your responsibility not his or hers, but woe betide you if Plod see’s you

Not been on a bus as taxi’s are cheaper
Waves 👋

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Being a Sunday afternoon virtually everywhere was shut. The one duty pharmacist in Bilbao was nowhere near us. We called into the nearest open places to beg/buy masks. We drew a blank at nearby hotels and shops. Even an ambulance claimed to not have any!

In despair we retreated to a pub. A customer offered us two masks in exchange for a coffee.

Our fault, obviously, but saved by a kind resident. Be warned!

We got caught out about to board the airport - Las Palmas bus. Fortunately the nice Spanish man in front of us turned round with a pack of 10 and donated 2 to us.

Entering a pharmacy without my mask the assistant swiftly produced one.

We flew with Ryanair(Polish registered) to Gran Canaria and did not have to wear one.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We weren't requested to wear masks when leaving Lanzarote.
yes it appears to have fallen by the way side?
Yes, we have them in the car, our pockets, bags, coats, everywhere.

But a Funster told me the other day, you cannot take dogs on public transport ?

Some regions it is allowed & others it is not. Amazing when you can fly with your dog on a plane?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back