Marquis and Swift part company? (1 Viewer)

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
I have heard this morning that Marquis are no longer a Swift dealer, it was also mentioned that they would no longer be supplying Bailey products. I guess they meant caravans rather than motorhomes.

Having taken a quick look at the Marquis website, there is certainly no longer any mention of Swift products and would guess that this is a result of the Autosleepers group being purchased by Trigano at the start of this year.

I am surprised that having purchased a new Kon Tiki through Marquis 12 months ago, we haven't had any communication from either Swift or Marquis to inform us of the changes and what this means to owners regarding warranty, etc.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I am surprised that having purchased a new Kon Tiki through Marquis 12 months ago, we haven't had any communication from either Swift or Marquis to inform us of the changes and what this means to owners regarding warranty, etc.
You're surprised?
Given the general communication standards of dealers & manufacturers... :confused:

:D2

OP
OP
cornish boy

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
Quick update.

It appears that when Marquis bought Michael Jordan they gained access to Bailey motorhomes and caravans alongside existing product lines, however earlier this week there was a memo sent from Marquis HQ instructing each branch to remove any Swift and Bailey Point of Sale information and Marquis would no longer be dealers for those products.

In terms of warranty, I am informed by a couple of good (insider) sources that customers who already have taken delivery of Swift products will be able to continue to have their warranty work carried out by Marquis for the length of the warranty period.

However, it was mentioned that any purchaser of new Swift product sold and delivered by Marquis from now on will need to make alternative arrangements for warranty work as Marquis will no longer be able to support the warranty.

There are still some new and unregistered Swift product in stock at Marquis so if you are in the market and looking or on the verge of doing a deal - buyer beware!

I should provide a caveat; firstly, I haven't seen this in writting but my sources are reliable and positioned such that I have no reason to disbelieve what they say. Secondly, I didn't specifically ask, but would make an assumption that the above would be true for any Bailey product supplied via Marquis/Michael Jordan. Lastly, I have no idea what the situation would be for pre-registered motorhomes in stock at Marquis.

Hope this helps.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a feeling this may have come to a head over warranty work and Swifts woeful attitude to customers after they have bought the product !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cornish boy

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
I have a feeling this may have come to a head over warranty work and Swifts woeful attitude to customers after they have bought the product !

To be honest, the suggestion is that it is a result of Trigano buying the AutoSleeper group which owns Marquis.
If you look at the remaining product lines Marquis have onboard, it includes Auto Trail, Auto Sleepers, Mobilvetta and Benimar which are all Trigano products.

You can understand that Trigano wouldnt want Marquis boosting the sales of a competitor and being constantly caught up in competitors warranty problems.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thread revival alert :D from when I was trawling the archives.

Speaking to a North East Swift dealer the other day he mentioned that Swift is trying desperately to sort itself out by improving the quality of its vans.

The guy who I spoke too had been invited to attend the Swift factory in Dec-17 and was briefed on their intended design and quality control changes.

It will be interesting to see if any significant changes are made.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I though upon purchase, your contract lies entirely with the seller. Therefore I fail to see how Marquis can negate their responsibility with regards to the guarantee. The fact that they cannot retrospectively claim the cost back from, say, Swift is their problem. Which leads me to think that any new vehicles they have in stock will be sold out to the dealer network. :)

Last edited:

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Thread revival alert :D from when I was trawling the archives.

Speaking to a North East Swift dealer the other day he mentioned that Swift is trying desperately to sort itself out by improving the quality of its vans.

The guy who I spoke too had been invited to attend the Swift factory in Dec-17 and was briefed on their intended design and quality control changes.

It will be interesting to see if any significant changes are made.
They look shiny :(

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I'm not surprised that Marquis are stopping selling any other brand than those from the Trigano Group, will maybe cause temporary warranty issues I suppose.

Not many 'British' built and owned vans left now, Swift and Bailey (Lunar?) are the main ones I imagine.

Interesting to read about Swift trying to up the quality of their motorhomes. They have had a lot of flack over the years about poor construction and workmanship.

Having said that, we bought our Swift van new in November 2012 and apart from a couple of teething problems early on we have been well pleased with our purchase.

Paul

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Having said that, we bought our Swift van new in November 2012 and apart from a couple of teething problems early on we have been well pleased with our purchase.
Paul

We've just bought a 2011 Sundance because the layout suited us. I've desperately tried to find damp, I can't.

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
Bought a new Kon-tiki in 2015. Just had its third service and habitation check. Totally clean bill of health and not any sign of damp. Might be one of the lucky ones but I have no regrets over buying it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Might be one of the lucky ones.

That sums up my years of knocking Swift, a good one is as good as any but a bad one can be a disaster.

This is one is 7 years old, my hope was any problems would be sorted, it came with a load of receipts to prove it had been well cared for and a few hab reports all saying no damp. Spooky. I'll have a big dose of Humble Pie once we've had a proper holiday in it and I'm sure I'm not dreaming. Italy calls.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had a KonTiki years ago and it was great except for a ridiculously small grey drain which took an age to empty.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Don't Swift still have that stupidly small diameter Gas Bottle door, (you know, the one that won't accommodate an 11kgs bottle.)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Maybe they’ve assumed that it disintegrated from all the water getting in months ago so you don’t need warranty support any more (y):D2

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
No problems with mine so far. 120ltr freshwater tank, 120 ltre grey tank and 2 x 13kg gas bottle's fitted in the back. Used to all the jokes about leaky kintiki. Water off a ducks back, or should I say water off my kontiki roof.:D

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Funnily enough the older us men get the smaller the water tank seems to get!:eek::whistle:;)
Nice to know there are others out there with small tanks and low pressure.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
No problems with mine so far. 120ltr freshwater tank, 120 ltre grey tank and 2 x 13kg gas bottle's fitted in the back. Used to all the jokes about leaky kintiki. Water off a ducks back, or should I say water off my kontiki roof.:D
You're lucky if the water actually runs off the roof as ours collected so much when parked we actually thought it was a water feature (n)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
if the water actually runs off the roof as ours collected so much when parked we actually thought it was a water feature (n)

Mine has a design to test the sealants. The whole flat roof is surrounded by plastic mouldings glued to the roof so there is about 6mm of water that cannot drain away when level.

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
The talk on here is about Marquis not wanting (selling ) non Trigano products but do they still sell Elddis special editions

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The talk on here is about Marquis not wanting (selling ) non Trigano products but do they still sell Elddis special editions

We visited Durham the other day and the only new van ranges were from Autotrail, Auto-Sleeper, Benimar and Mobilvette; no Swift or Elddis to be seen.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Mine has a design to test the sealants. The whole flat roof is surrounded by plastic mouldings glued to the roof so there is about 6mm of water that cannot drain away when level.
Our Swift had a very neat solution to that. Some lazy git left a 2 inch gap in the roof strap covering the join of the roof to the cab.
Any water collecting on the roof handily drained into the interior, eventually fixed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back