Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Just wondering if anyone has a favourite atlas or map book for UK and or Europe which shows very narrow lanes. My satnav will often take me off a main road to save a few hundred yards and put us down a lane that is far too narrow to be worth taking. Cornwall and Devon seem to be the worst.

No problem if it is obvious at the turning but when I am committed and suddenly find both mirrors brushing the bushes it can be a nightmare.

I understand some of the trucker maps show height restrictions but I can squeeze under most bridges at 3 metres.

mdixon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp
I got sick of being taken dwn 6'6" Lanes.
Bought a lorry Satnav

In lorry mode - It takes you on motorways as a preference and makes the route longer and less enjoyable.

In car mode - you face the constant worry of the next turning or bridge.

Hopeless in Le Harve going to the ferry in lorry mode - says that there is an impossible tunnel, even though I have put in height and weight.

Come on Garmin - improve those algorythms!!!:cry::cry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Philip's Trucker Atlas we have says on the cover: 4234 bridge heights, 1216 weight limits, 251 width limits. Many (all?) the width limits will be legal orders but that is the same with large vehicle sat navs. The printed maps, though, do tend to show narrow roads more clearly by their coding/colour systems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
being a truck driver here in cornwall i find the philips street atlas of cornwall the best.
mines a bit old ,but ,,isbn 0-540-008328-3
for devon isbn 0-540-08130-2.
also the truckers atlas of uk with bridge heights . cant go without them .
but if in cornwall the roads are too narrow they usually have a sign stating not suitable for large vehicles . and heights are shown if needed .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back