manual sat dishes? (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
This van we are getting 1998 Hymer, pick up end of jan, has got a manual sat dish on the roof.

We had an auto one on a previous van so no nothing about these, the dealer has asked if we want it taking off.

Are they a waste of time, effort, obviously don't know if it works yet as it was low on the list of priorities when examining the van. It has a long pole inside, I presume to adjust it

Will all sat dishes be a waste of time soon?

Like a tv but on our last van we had one of those stick on aerials for the outside wall, it worked well for less than £40.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have a manual dish and it works fine. You should soon get the hang of setting it up. You just need a compass so you point it roughly SE and at an angle of about 20 degrees upwards. But you will need some way of measuring the strength of the signal. Ours came with a small meter you plugged into the antenna cable but I use the TV itself now as one of the menu settings shows signal strength so all you have to do is twiddle the dish to get the strongest signal.

But you have to point it at the right satellite, ASTRA 2, and there are other satellites near it which you might tune into instead in error. If all your channels are German then you have the wrong one and you need to be a touch to the east and a shade lower.

Easy peazy. :)

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We have a manual dish and it works fine. You should soon get the hang of setting it up. You just need a compass so you point it roughly SE and at an angle of about 20 degrees upwards. But you will need some way of measuring the strength of the signal. Ours came with a small meter you plugged into the antenna cable but I use the TV itself now as one of the menu settings shows signal strength so all you have to do is twiddle the dish to get the strongest signal.

But you have to point it at the right satellite, ASTRA 2, and there are other satellites near it which you might tune into instead in error. If all your channels are German then you have the wrong one and you need to be a touch to the east and a shade lower.

Easy peazy. :)

Thanks for that info, I was hoping you would say waste of time and encourage us to get rid of a bit of weight:D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I also have a manual system ,with a sat-seeker coupled up to incoming feed.
Like @DBK wrote point in general direction S -28.2°E elevation 27° ? And you should be somewhere near astra 2 ,works well in the UK and nth France

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never seen a sat dish with a pole....long or short.
Are you sure the pole isn't part of a STATUS TV aerial which may not be visible from the ground until its been pushed up.

4890.jpg

Manual dishes usually have some kind of circular flange on the ceiling with compass degrees around the edge and a winding handle in the center to lift the dish to the correct elevation.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Never seen a sat dish with a pole....long or short.
Are you sure the pole isn't part of a STATUS TV aerial which may not be visible from the ground until its been pushed up.

Manual dishes usually have some kind of circular flange on the ceiling with compass degrees around the edge and a winding handle in the center to lift the dish to the correct elevation.

Not checked fully, dealer said it was part of the manual sat dish, will check, cheers.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not saying it would but if removed could it leave you with a potential water ingress possibility if the dealer makes a hash of it?:unsure:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Mine is a "pole" in the wardrobe ,turn it to required direction ,at the bottom is a plastic winding handel for elevation.
incoming coax passes through a digital sat finder,select satalite required. Turn/elevate and get an audible and visual signal strength .
It helps if you first turn on the sat receiver and telly :D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mine is a "pole" in the wardrobe ,turn it to required direction ,at the bottom is a plastic winding handel for elevation.
incoming coax passes through a digital sat finder,select satalite required. Turn/elevate and get an audible and visual signal strength .
It helps if you first turn on the sat receiver and telly :D
Years since I had a roof dish so things may have progressed.
My last dish was a quad LNB SKY mini dish on a camera tripod.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
This van we are getting 1998 Hymer, pick up end of jan, has got a manual sat dish on the roof.

We had an auto one on a previous van so no nothing about these, the dealer has asked if we want it taking off.

Are they a waste of time, effort, obviously don't know if it works yet as it was low on the list of priorities when examining the van. It has a long pole inside, I presume to adjust it

Will all sat dishes be a waste of time soon?

Like a tv but on our last van we had one of those stick on aerials for the outside wall, it worked well for less than £40.
Paul it sounds like you have one of these. http://www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/globesat-60cm-satellite-system-with-mast-10033-p.asp

It's as @DBK and @jollyrodger posted, ie, fine once you get the hang of it. Because the LNB is in the centre of the dish, that is what is aimed directly at the satellite, Astra 2G, u nlike other dishes where the LNB angle is offset.
The best advice I was given, was to point the dish to th east, set the elevation to 22-25 degrees, (UK) and very slowly move towards the south. Astra 2 should be the first satellite you pick op. This is with the aid of either a visual signal and strength meter from the receiver, or an audible meter added inline to the dish cable, (bloody annoying things, but very accurate ;) ).
I can have our dish up, alingned, and a picture on the screen, whilst matey's automatic dish is still whirling round and up and down looking for a signal, and using valuable 12v battery power. ;) It' gives you that smug sense of satisfaction and achievement. :LOL:

I replaced ours directly from the manufacturers, due to components becoming brittle. It was a large saving in costs compared to buying from a dealer here in the UK.

Before making any decision to have it removed in favour of a £3.5K auto system, give it a try. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Paul it sounds like you have one of these. http://www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/globesat-60cm-satellite-system-with-mast-10033-p.asp

It's as @DBK and @jollyrodger posted, ie, fine once you get the hang of it. Because the LNB is in the centre of the dish, that is what is aimed directly at the satellite, Astra 2G, u nlike other dishes where the LNB angle is offset.
The best advice I was given, was to point the dish to th east, set the elevation to 22-25 degrees, (UK) and very slowly move towards the south. Astra 2 should be the first satellite you pick op. This is with the aid of either a visual signal and strength meter from the receiver, or an audible meter added inline to the dish cable, (bloody annoying things, but very accurate ;) ).
I can have our dish up, alingned, and a picture on the screen, whilst matey's automatic dish is still whirling round and up and down looking for a signal, and using valuable 12v battery power. ;) It' gives you that smug sense of satisfaction and achievement. :LOL:

I replaced ours directly from the manufacturers, due to components becoming brittle. It was a large saving in costs compared to buying from a dealer here in the UK.

Before making any decision to have it removed in favour of a £3.5K auto system, give it a try. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Many thank Jock, I,ll give it a bash, there is no chance however of it being replaced by an expensive auto dish, the £38 aerial will do me:D2

Although if Caroline continues to be poorly then everything is up in air, it has been an horrendous Christmas, back and forth to the hospital 3 times already with more to come no doubt. You can't buy your health, as you know with Rita.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Many thank Jock, I,ll give it a bash, there is no chance however of it being replaced by an expensive auto dish, the £38 aerial will do me:D2

Although if Caroline continues to be poorly then everything is up in air, it has been an horrendous Christmas, back and forth to the hospital 3 times already with more to come no doubt. You can't buy your health, as you know with Rita.
Sorry Paul. :( Rita and I didn't know that Caroline was poorly.

Please give her our very best wishes for the correct diagnoses, and the appropriate treatment for the condition. Good luck to her. (y)

Jock & Rita. :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I can have our dish up, alingned, and a picture on the screen, whilst matey's automatic dish is still whirling round and up and down looking for a signal, and using valuable 12v battery power.

That's my experience too.

The problem with portable manual dishes is storing them. With one on the roof that's another problem solved.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back