Manometer for Hab Check (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Been following various threads on Hab check woes and decided it might be about time I bought a manometer

ROTHENBERGER MANOMETER KIT​

• Size 12in / 300mm.
  • Easy to view standard u gauge with millibar scale.
  • Measures up to 30mbar.
  • Durable plastic case and see through cover.
  • No need to remove the cover to zero.
  • Supplied with sealing cap and hanging cap.
  • Hose length 2 metres.
  • 1/4in bore rubber hose.
  • Wall thickness 1/16in.
  • NOT to be used with LPG.
  • 60ml manometer coloured fluid dye.
I think I realise that the liquid is displaced to show the system pressure and one closes the supply valve and watches for any drop in pressure over a few minutes.
But why are they saying that this not for LPG, is it just the limited range ( LPG being 30 or 37mBar) or the type of rubber hose?
Interesting

MIke

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
LPG is higher pressure than natural gas so needs a bigger manometer.

It’s just a bigger U for LPG, essentially twice as big as LPG is nearly twice the pressure.

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Answerd my question its the height of the column limits the indicaed range, basically 37mbar will blow the liquid out of the top. So for 37mbar you need a 450mm column or its suggested a 600mm one! Digitals seem too dear, perhaps I will just continue to rely on my nose and leak detection fluid?
Thanks all
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
I've bought a used rothenberger one like that, but tends to blow the water out if not really careful as the regs are supposed to be 30mb but seem to be slightly over. So would be better with a larger 50mb one.

Planning to get a digital one instead.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
You can pick digital ones up for around £35, which is cheap enough, unless its only going to get used once in a blue moon.

Professional Digital Manometer, Portable Handheld Air Vacuum/Gas Pressure Gauge Meter 11 Units with Backlight, ±13.78kPa ±2PSI, Suitable for Differential Pressure of 1-2 Pipes, Ventilation,etc Amazon product ASIN B078YDFX4R

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You need a different hose material for LPG and natural gas. From the link below for example

"This U-Gauge is to be used in conjunction with Rothenberger rubber hoses (No.67017 for natural gas & No.67018 neoprene for LPG and Manometer Fluid No.67074)."

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Thanks everyone, most informative chat.
Most interesting thing is that we need a longer capillary than the cheapest ones so perhaps I will keep an eye out for a digital one, not so much to check pressure but to be able to use it a system leak detector.
Thanks all
Mike

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Thanks Tony.. I didnt actually say that I was going to throw 40 odd quid at the project. Think that I have got a piece of plastic cladding left over
thats plastic cladding, not plastic padding!
Mike

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I made one about 25 years ago from plastic tube and a bit of ply with some wire twist grips to hold the tube, after I had my first habitation test required for warranty. I watched the guy do it and he didn’t touch the gas. When asked he said “nothing to test”. I said what “about leaks, use a manometer”, “what’s that” he said. That was the last habitation check I paid for. I now do a quick leak test before every trip. Just part of preparations. There is a published allowed pressure drop somewhere. But I work on the basis that I should not see a level drop in two hours.
Steve

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
It’s not just about the drop, you also need to ensure the gas valve on the bottle isn’t letting gas out when shut which will mask any drop.

Manometer to about 15mb and then turn off gas and leave for a few minutes to see if it goes up. If it does, the gas valve is knackered.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I've got one of these fitted to my boat to assist with the regular Boat Safety Test.

Bubble Tester

I've considered fitting one to my MH.

Sep 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Georgie Boy
I've got one of these fitted to my boat to assist with the regular Boat Safety Test.

Bubble Tester

I've considered fitting one to my MH.
For a Boat Safety Scheme test on a Residential boat used for more than six months annually to has to have a Gas Safe registered engineer to check the gas ‘tightness’ unless there is a bubble tester fitted. Well worth the cost. Incidentally, boats still run at 37 mbar!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back