Mains sockets keep tripping (1 Viewer)

Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
When hooking up to mains supply on site in UK my consumer unit 16 amp trip switch (mcb? - I can never recall the right name) for the mains power sockets trips as soon as I switch on the main RCD.

This happens even without anything plugged in. All the other mains circuits remain ok (eg space & water heaters, fridge). I'm on a seasonal pitch and no probs for the first week or two, then tripped maybe once a week for another 3 weeks, and now is immediate if I flick on the trip switch.

All was ok on a previous site and I've had the 'van electrics professionally checked (found a loose connection, sorted, tested fine, but problem continued on return to present site. I have tried hooking up to different power pillars and changed pitch completely at one point. Other people on neighbouring pitches are not having problems. I'm now thinking of touring other sites to see if problem limited to this site.

On the other hand, I had a similar problem at home some years ago, which was solved by changing the relevant trip switch.
Any thought or suggestions?

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
You seem to have covered most things, might be worth checking if there is a hard wired 240v supply to the fridge and heater. Not usually plugged into a socket so easily missed. My old three way fridge blew the trip, turned out the 240v wire pulled out of the connector on top of the fridge probably happened as I pulled the fridge inboard to check for gas leak.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
Forgot to say - had the hook-up lead tested at the same time. It was reportedly ok but maybe I should borrow another one

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
A plug in socket tester could diagnose your circuits in the van. Handy to have it for polarity as well.
Like this one

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
You seem to have covered most things, might be worth checking if there is a hard wired 240v supply to the fridge and heater. Not usually plugged into a socket so easily missed. My old three way fridge blew the trip, turned out the 240v wire pulled out of the connector on top of the fridge probably happened as I pulled the fridge inboard to check for gas leak.
Thanks for that. I'll check that out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
Thanks for that. I should have said , I have one & that's kind of where I started before seeking professional help. Cheers

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Well if your circuits test ok with the tester, is only two things left:
The feed plug and cable,
And the mcb that trips could be faulty.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
A plug in socket tester could diagnose your circuits in the van. Handy to have it for polarity as well.
Like this one
Thanks mate. Got one. That's sort of where I started before getting professional help. Cheers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
Well if your circuits test ok with the tester, is only two things left:
The feed plug and cable,
And the mcb that trips could be faulty.
Thanks. I was beginning to think that way. Since my techie says he tested the mains hook up lead, I think I'll go for replacing the mcb. Ta

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll try another hook up cable "just in case" and if no improvement replace the mcb.
Cheers

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am not sure which MCB is tripping. Is it the one in the van or the one at the post?

If it is the one in the van then it is not the cable causing it.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Do you have a picture of the 16A breaker? Does it have a 'Test' button on it, as well as the trip switch toggle?

When it trips, what exactly stops working? Does it affect the water heater and the electric element in the space heater? The fridge?

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
The same happened to me 2 weeks ago in the Friday night gales and rain. I left it until our last day and flicked the MCB and hey presto all ok. Going to get one of the gadgets from Screwfix tomorrow. Thanks for the tip

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
The same happened to me 2 weeks ago in the Friday night gales and rain. I left it until our last day and flicked the MCB and hey presto all ok. Going to get one of the gadgets from Screwfix tomorrow. Thanks for the tip
Hmmm. What gadget?

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Thanks for that. I should have said , I have one & that's kind of where I started before seeking professional help. Cheers
Why what did it indicate?

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
my consumer unit 16 amp trip switch (mcb? - I can never recall the right name) for the mains power sockets trips as soon as I switch on the main RCD.
the 16 amp breaker that protects the circuit supplying your sockets trips when power is applied by switching the rcd trip on...
but all the other circuits remain live and work normally...
All the other mains circuits remain ok
if that is what is happening then you have a short in the wiring on your mains socket circuits...as you say there is nothing connected to the sockets,
or the breaker itself is faulty..
Andy

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Re last post ANDY 63 (in case beating post)

No if the RCD trips all should be dead if not you have a problem that needs Pro help.

Opps how did i get this type face...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
Do you have a picture of the 16A breaker? Does it have a 'Test' button on it, as well as the trip switch toggle?

When it trips, what exactly stops working? Does it affect the water heater and the electric element in the space heater? The fridge?
No picture right now. However, only the mains SOCKETS stop working. Fridge, space & water heaters still work.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
the 16 amp breaker that protects the circuit supplying your sockets trips when power is applied by switching the rcd trip on...
but all the other circuits remain live and work normally...

if that is what is happening then you have a short in the wiring on your mains socket circuits...as you say there is nothing connected to the sockets,
or the breaker itself is faulty..
Andy
Thanks for that. My techie tells me all ok on all circuits. As you say, must be breaker that is faulty. Ordered one now. Cheers

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
No if the RCD trips all should be dead
in the ops original post it states all the other circuits remain on and working... so the rcd can't have tripped... it says the 16 amp breaker protecting the sockets circuit trips immediately... that would indicate a short circuit ..
Andy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006

No picture right now. Everything works except mains sockets. Seems it must be mcb. Have ordered new one.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back