Mains sockets keep tripping (1 Viewer)

Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
When hooking up to mains supply on site in UK my consumer unit 16 amp trip switch (mcb? - I can never recall the right name) for the mains power sockets trips as soon as I switch on the main RCD.

This happens even without anything plugged in. All the other mains circuits remain ok (eg space & water heaters, fridge). I'm on a seasonal pitch and no probs for the first week or two, then tripped maybe once a week for another 3 weeks, and now is immediate if I flick on the trip switch.

All was ok on a previous site and I've had the 'van electrics professionally checked (found a loose connection, sorted, tested fine, but problem continued on return to present site. I have tried hooking up to different power pillars and changed pitch completely at one point. Other people on neighbouring pitches are not having problems. I'm now thinking of touring other sites to see if problem limited to this site.

On the other hand, I had a similar problem at home some years ago, which was solved by changing the relevant trip switch.
Any thought or suggestions?

OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
in the ops original post it states all the other circuits remain on and working... so the rcd can't have tripped... it says the 16 amp breaker protecting the sockets circuit trips immediately... that would indicate a short circuit ..
Andy
Exactly. Rcd NOT tripped. Short circuit IS indicated but £200 of techie testing says no short circuit. Seems to point to faulty MCB, similar to domestic situation described in my op.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
Re last post ANDY 63 (in case beating post)

No if the RCD trips all should be dead if not you have a problem that needs Pro help.

Opps how did i get this type face...
Thanks for that. Pro help already engaged at cost of £200. Says if any future probs, it must be site supply issue. Pursued that, but issue there is that we're the only van affected. Again, now pointing to faulty mcb

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
in the ops original post it states all the other circuits remain on and working... so the rcd can't have tripped... it says the 16 amp breaker protecting the sockets circuit trips immediately... that would indicate a short circuit ..
Andy
I think I've answered this already but said answer seems to have disappeared. Exactly right but techie tells me no short circuit. Suggests faulty mcb I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I don't understand why a techie couldn't diagnose a faulty MCB.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
Well if your circuits test ok with the tester, is only two things left:
The feed plug and cable,
And the mcb that trips could be faulty.
There are so many replies I'm losing track, so apologies if this duplicates an earlier response. I agree, & think it must be the mcb. I'm now ordering a new one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
I don't understand why a techie couldn't diagnose a faulty MCB.
Me neither. Slight loss of faith in his answers. BUT had similar problem some years ago with domestic supply and it wad only the third 'leccie who identified the root cause. Others suggested we change all our white goods!!

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I had a similar fault a couple of years ago, it turned out to be two things, a faulty blue plug on the mains lead and a leaking water pipe on the hot water side dripping onto the main power supply which is underneath the boiler in the boot. Changed the hot water pipe in the boot and the blue plug, then all ok. Fused a few aires in France first though (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
I had a similar fault a couple of years ago, it turned out to be two things, a faulty blue plug on the mains lead and a leaking water pipe on the hot water side dripping onto the main power supply which is underneath the boiler in the boot. Changed the hot water pipe in the boot and the blue plug, then all ok. Fused a few aires in France first though (y)
Gee that's interesting. I'll have a look at that as well as replacing the mcb.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
All the other mains circuits remain ok (eg space & water heaters, fridge). I'm on a seasonal pitch and no probs for the first week or two, then tripped maybe once a week for another 3 weeks, and now is immediate if I flick on the trip switch.
Certainly illiminates the wiring.
If it was a wiring fault it would trip from day one....not once a week for 3 weeks after being on hookup for a couple of weeks with no problem.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
MCBs do age. They will start tripping at lower initial surges until they fail completely and won't reset.

IF you have ruled out everything connected to the panel including as Jim suggested the charger, then a failing MCB is likely the cause.

Van. Thanks
Won't be the cable then. If it was the cable, it would trip the RCD in the post.
An MCB only deals with high current like a fuse. It doesn't deal with earth faults for example.

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
MCBs do age. They will start tripping at lower initial surges until they fail completely and won't reset.

IF you have ruled out everything connected to the panel including as Jim suggested the charger, then a failing MCB is likely the cause.

Won't be the cable then. If it was the cable, it would trip the RCD in the post.
An MCB only deals with high current like a fuse. It doesn't deal with earth faults for example.
Or a dead short caused by something like a leak (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I just searched for a comprehensive explanation of how an MCB works to show the ageing failure mode.

This is the mechanism that causes the trip on over current.
1622662782970.png

A high current flowing through the coil wrapped around this is what causes it to trip under abnormal operation (fault/short circuit).
As they age, the spring can lose it's potency and allow a much lower current to be able to exceed the springs capacity to resist. It will eventually get to the point where even a 1Amp current can overcome the spring.

See the section Principle of short circuit protection of miniature circuit breaker.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
Certainly illiminates the wiring.
If it was a wiring fault it would trip from day one....not once a week for 3 weeks after being on hookup for a couple of weeks with no problem.
Thanks mate. Seems about right. I'm going for mcb for now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
I just searched for a comprehensive explanation of how an MCB works to show the ageing failure mode.

This is the mechanism that causes the trip on over current.
View attachment 503047

A high current flowing through the coil wrapped around this is what causes it to trip under abnormal operation (fault/short circuit).
As they age, the spring can lose it's potency and allow a much lower current to be able to exceed the springs capacity to resist. It will eventually get to the point where even a 1Amp current can overcome the spring.

See the section Principle of short circuit protection of miniature circuit breaker.

Now THAT explains a lot! When my old 'leccie said mcb's can "develop a memory", it sounded a bit woo-woo, but what you've said makes absolute logical sense. Thank you so much!👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
Are we quite sure this breaker is an MCB not an RCBO? An RCBO has a 'Test' button, an MCB doesn't.
I'm not in the van at present, so don't know for sure, but I am fairly sure it's an mcb. Apart from the reset button, what difference does it make?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
An RCBO will trip with an earth fault same as an RCD and an overload fault the same as an MCB.
They are considerably more expensive than an RCD or an MCB.
£70 to £80 for some makes.

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
An RCBO will trip with an earth fault same as an RCD and an overload fault the same as an MCB.
They are considerably more expensive than an RCD or an MCB.
£70 to £80 for some makes.
I'm no sparky but I thought a RCD protects all the circuits, whereas a RCBO protects only 1 circuit.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
In most "modern" motorhomes you will find an RCD supplying a couple of MCBs.

I can't imagine any manufacturer putting RCBOs in a motorhome. But I am happy to be proven wrong on that one.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back