Mad or desperate? (1 Viewer)

Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
Ok, so we couldn't get away last summer 'cos of lockdown, then I caught Covid, was hospitalised etc etc & 3 months later I'm still on the slow road to recovery. Two days ago I fell & broke my nose & needed stitches to put my lip back together again - right fed up & bored with constant crocheting!... Then I thought I used to love research when I was at Uni so why not use this lockdown to plan a trip for next year (fingers crossed!) The idea is plan out short trips, max 200km a day or so, staying in villages rather than towns (preferably staying on small campsites like the French municipal sites) and avoiding autoroutes etc. We'll have about 6 weeks to do it in, was thinking maybe head for Italy, possibly in May - need to work out a route where the alpine passes would be open, but we can get out of Italy before it gets too hot!
Yes, I know I'm asking a lot, but I figured I could waste my time doing jigsaws or something so why not? So, how about it? where would you recommend we go?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ok, so we couldn't get away last summer 'cos of lockdown, then I caught Covid, was hospitalised etc etc & 3 months later I'm still on the slow road to recovery. Two days ago I fell & broke my nose & needed stitches to put my lip back together again - right fed up & bored with constant crocheting!... Then I thought I used to love research when I was at Uni so why not use this lockdown to plan a trip for next year (fingers crossed!) The idea is plan out short trips, 100km a day or so, staying in villages rather than towns (preferably staying on small campsites like the French municipal sites) and avoiding autoroutes etc. We'll have about 6 weeks to do it in, was thinking maybe head for Italy, possibly in May - need to work out a route where the alpine passes would be open, but we can get out of Italy before it gets too hot!
Yes, I know I'm asking a lot, but I figured I could waste my time doing jigsaws or something so why not? So, how about it? where would you recommend we go?
Have you not considered Aires, stop anywhere you like , no need to look for sites.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Have you not considered Aires, stop anywhere you like , no need to look for sites.
I agree. We drive to Greece every year and never stay on a site. Occasionally in France when it’s more convenient we’ve used a camping car park but 99% of the time we stop at aires, sostas, park4night places etc.
Mind you, we usually only stay for one night at a time. If you’re planning to stay for longer in each place then sites might be better for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Attila the Hen
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Last time we were in France it was blooming hot & we didn’t fancy parking on an expanse of concrete
/ glorified car park -We were probably unlucky with the aires we tried though, & would be very happy to reconsider !

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Ok, so we couldn't get away last summer 'cos of lockdown, then I caught Covid, was hospitalised etc etc & 3 months later I'm still on the slow road to recovery. Two days ago I fell & broke my nose & needed stitches to put my lip back together again - right fed up & bored with constant crocheting!... Then I thought I used to love research when I was at Uni so why not use this lockdown to plan a trip for next year (fingers crossed!) The idea is plan out short trips, max 200km a day or so, staying in villages rather than towns (preferably staying on small campsites like the French municipal sites) and avoiding autoroutes etc. We'll have about 6 weeks to do it in, was thinking maybe head for Italy, possibly in May - need to work out a route where the alpine passes would be open, but we can get out of Italy before it gets too hot!
Hi with your luck I think I would stay at home he!he!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I agree. We drive to Greece every year and never stay on a site. Occasionally in France when it’s more convenient we’ve used a camping car park but 99% of the time we stop at aires, sostas, park4night places etc.
Mind you, we usually only stay for one night at a time. If you’re planning to stay for longer in each place then sites might be better for you.
In our 10 (ish) years motorhoming I think we stayed at probably 2 campsites in France and 1 in Ireland. All the rest were aires, some were so, so, but some were absolutely beautiful and most were good to very good. I think one would miss out by rejecting them.

Wyn

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Last time we were in France it was blooming hot & we didn’t fancy parking on an expanse of concrete
/ glorified car park -We were probably unlucky with the aires we tried though, & would be very happy to reconsider !

Glorified car parks? not if you do your homework,a selection from our autumn trip to France and Germany 👍
108B4F83-AF30-4A8A-8FCF-4BCB046BE9B5.jpeg
4CE9173F-25D6-491D-87DF-0EF4E0136C30.jpeg
6D86234E-5740-4FED-BE35-F59A0A1C66A1.jpeg
1480E074-C318-42E6-889E-96CBCC157EC2.jpeg
8569DA62-0358-4CF3-A9AE-706C0D1FF80B.jpeg

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It is a great plan. So sorry about your health problems this year. Looking forward to next year is all any of us can do.
You could start by putting points on a map, thise places that you would like to visit - google Mymaps is a possibility this. You could use the app Camper Contact and use reviews on sites to help you decide if you would like it.
Then I would say, don’t book anywhere. There is no need to. So you have your plan but you can be flexible. I totally agree about unshaded carpark aires when it is hot - not for me. But if not hot, then there are many aires which are more central to towns than a campsite. It depends on how you like to get about. It is a mix that does it for us.
Happy planning and best wishes for next year.

OP
OP
Attila the Hen
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
It is a great plan. So sorry about your health problems this year. Looking forward to next year is all any of us can do.
You could start by putting points on a map, thise places that you would like to visit - google Mymaps is a possibility this. You could use the app Camper Contact and use reviews on sites to help you decide if you would like it.
Then I would say, don’t book anywhere. There is no need to. So you have your plan but you can be flexible. I totally agree about unshaded carpark aires when it is hot - not for me. But if not hot, then there are many aires which are more central to towns than a campsite. It depends on how you like to get about. It is a mix that does it for us.
Happy planning and best wishes for next year.
Thank you, that looks great! I would add though that the Via Michelin app is very useful & shows scenic routes as well. You’re right, no booking, & plans are made for breaking - I’m just looking forward to using what little brain I have left & enjoying the dream - we can go anywhere!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thank you, that looks great! I would add though that the Via Michelin app is very useful & shows scenic routes as well. You’re right, no booking, & plans are made for breaking - I’m just looking forward to using what little brain I have left & enjoying the dream - we can go anywhere!
Absolutely!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I quite agree that some aires are glorified car parks, one of our favourite places is like that...........but then, there are others........

F40D849C-005D-4AAD-9332-B36A9A54D6C8.jpeg
FFA13889-15DB-4E99-86B3-DF5C116DD593.jpeg
399A10BE-4958-4A38-80D0-9DEDFA664D4B.jpeg
C0198E47-67DC-4BFF-B369-DFAEE64F8F9A.jpeg

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Ok, ok, I take your point the aires look lovely - where are they?

I use a combination of Search for sites,Camperstop and Park 4 Night,our 4 week trip cost about €25 for aires/stelleplatz,water and a bit of electric👍

Wald im Allgau. DE
Cham DE
Schonwald im Schwarzwald. DE
Arc et Senans. F
Forcalquier. F

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
OP
OP
Attila the Hen
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
They're everywhere.. start here, https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/webapp.php or https://www.campercontact.com/en

There are other resources but these two are very good.
Thank you for the ideas - I use searchforsites a lot, but up till now have bypassed the aires, mainly cos we used to need a hook up at night for the chief driver’s controlled pressure air pump, though the new one does run on 12v. There is the trusty remoska to consider though as our van has no oven. Looks like I had better start my researches looking for alternatives to the remoska that run on gas!

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you for the ideas - I use searchforsites a lot, but up till now have bypassed the aires, mainly cos we used to need a hook up at night for the chief driver’s controlled pressure air pump, though the new one does run on 12v. There is the trusty remoska to consider though as our van has no oven. Looks like I had better start my researches looking for alternatives to the remoska that run on gas!

Domestic management just uses Aldis' best cast aluminium saucepans/frying pan 🙂

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just to clarify as I've never stopped on one, are you allowed to put table, chairs and awning out on an aires?
Thanks.
Those photos I put on are all aires, so judge for yourself.
In principal you aren’t supposed to have anything outside the vehicle but 'when in Rome France' just follow the locals.
In most locations, if there’s space, nobody will complain. However, if the space is tight don’t try and take over someone else’s spot with tables, awnings etc. you won’t be popular.
We spend several months in France (in normal years) and use aires almost exclusively. To date we’ve never been told to remove tables or chairs.
Remember, if you go to France the French attitude to most rules ( not motoring rules though) is that they are advisory.

Richard.

OP
OP
Attila the Hen
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
That one at the Marquis de Vauban chateau would be absolutely ideal - look how close to a large hospital complex it is!! :giggle:
Be nice, or I’ll have to post a photo! Not for the faint hearted!

Jan 17, 2018
Sunny Poole
Funster No
MH
Low profile Burstner
Exp
3 years and learning
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Most municipal campsites are pretty cheap. We stayed at Martel this year for example and it was about 11 euros with electric, toilets, showers etc. We need to get out fridge fixed so it works in gas (no time for that this year by the time we could get the van from storage lockdown!) Previously we have only used aires in Honfleur and Bruges but would like to try some more. It would be good to know locations of some really nice ones for newbies to Aires perhaps.

OP
OP
Attila the Hen
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Most municipal campsites are pretty cheap. We stayed at Martel this year for example and it was about 11 euros with electric, toilets, showers etc. We need to get out fridge fixed so it works in gas (no time for that this year by the time we could get the van from storage lockdown!) Previously we have only used aires in Honfleur and Bruges but would like to try some more. It would be good to know locations of some really nice ones for newbies to Aires perhaps.
Agreed! We’ve mostly used municipal sites in small towns & villages in the past & they’ve been great. Recently many of them have been taken over by private companies though, or turned into aires - hence our willingness to give aires a go now. Fortunately I’ve got loads of time to do my research & pick out the good ‘uns!

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Have a look at the links in my signature. ⬇
Haven't been adding any recently but most of the aires haven’t changed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back