Looks Like Spain is Open (1 Viewer)

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
good stuff. All i need now is for the FCO to drop its travel warning to spain. And for france to open its land border with spain. And for France to cancel its quarantine for UK, open its campsites and the FCO to drop its travel warning to France.

And then i'm off as planned (France / Spain) in August - simples!

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I believe that arrivals have to register so that they can be traced should the authorities need to. Difficult if travelling around in mh.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I believe that arrivals have to register so that they can be traced should the authorities need to. Difficult if travelling around in mh.
Why is that difficult in the age of mobile phones?

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Easily switched off and therefore not in the control of the authorities.
Yes if you actively wanted to avoid being traceable but that doesn't just apply to Motorhomes. Anyone could give a false holiday address or phone number.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
good stuff. All i need now is for the FCO to drop its travel warning to spain. Who takes any notice ?
And for france to open its land border with spain. Tomorrow
And for France to cancel its quarantine for UK, Voluntary
open its campsites Open as are aires
and the FCO to drop its travel warning to France. Who takes any notice?

And then i'm off as planned (France / Spain) in August - simples!

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Yes if you actively wanted to avoid being traceable but that doesn't just apply to Motorhomes. Anyone could give a false holiday address or phone number.

True and probably untraceable in such circumstances. It will be interesting to see if registration gains traction.
(Ps: For the record, I only have a talk and text mobile, not a Smart phone.)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Looking forward to Brittany Ferries letting us ride the Bay of Biscay rodeo!

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
"Who takes any notice"

if there was still an FCO warning i wouldnt go just because of insurance - i wouldnt be covered for anything

the rest of it sounds very promising, thanks

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I see some members have already gone to France, has anyone tried to get travel/vehicle insurance whilst the Government “No Travel” advice is extant, and what have those trailblazers done in that regard?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
gus-lopez

Gus, you ask '' who takes any notice of F/O travel advice / restrictions ?

Given a third party liability claim against one's invalid travel insurance could be £ ( insert shockingly high figure here ), one would personally be potentially liable for an amount that could bankrupt many people - that's why I take notice & suspect I'm not alone.

As previously mentioned I'm also dubious as to whether vehicle insurance would be valid & if not, that scenario would be a potential nightmare exceeding biblical proportions

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
I see some members have already gone to France, has anyone tried to get travel/vehicle insurance whilst the Government “No Travel” advice is extant, and what have those trailblazers done in that regard?

As long as UK gov advise against all but essential travel your travel insurance is void if you have set off on your journey after that advise is issued .
( If anyone can show me otherwise I would be pleased to know)

As for vehicle insurance On another thread Bounty Hunter posted this master class in obfuscation from Comfort Ins on the matter:::::

" I asked Comfort Insurance if the van was covered if we travelled against FCO advice. Here is there response:"

With regards to your email, we would advise that we do not have any restrictions on our motorhome policy with regards to going against government advice so technically your policy will be valid. However, as stated in out policy wording, it is the customers responsibility to protect their asset so going against government advice could be concluded as not taking care of that asset.

Also customers may find that our ability to assist them in practical terms may be impacted by any domestic or international restrictions in the country they are in (be that arranging local repairs or transportation of the vehicle back home should that be needed following an incident).

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have friends that stayed in lockdown on a campsite at Tarifa they are now free to travel and have made their way up to Caceres over this weekend without problems and are now at camping Caceres for a few days. 😊

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
gus-lopez

Gus, you ask '' who takes any notice of F/O travel advice / restrictions ?

Given a third party liability claim against one's invalid travel insurance could be £ ( insert shockingly high figure here ), one would personally be potentially liable for an amount that could bankrupt many people - that's why I take notice & suspect I'm not alone.

As previously mentioned I'm also dubious as to whether vehicle insurance would be valid & if not, that scenario would be a potential nightmare exceeding biblical proportions
What 3rd party liabilities could possibly be claimed against travel insurance? I don't even , nor have ever, had any? It isn't anything that would occur to me to think about?
As for vehicle insurance maybe the scammers in the UK might try to weasle out of it but as far as I am concerned I insure the vehicle to be used 24/7/365 ,unlimited kms & that's it.
As for thr Foc things as I have said before it is only when someone posts them here that I even realise they exist. The only time I would possibly think of checking would be if I wanted to go somewhere like syria but then I wouldn't look as I'd know they'd say no.:giggle:
I actually had this French chap Guy , staying here last year who had been all round the middle east "war zones" in his MH without resort to any type of additional insurance.

http://roumanie2014.eklablog.com/

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
Taken from Murcia Today website, the paragraph regarding the European Health card being invalid is worth noting.
C5E810EA-7A58-4DCC-8E5E-4FC95769C37F.png

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Can someone find a 3rd party overheard conversation in the pub (or on the internet) where someone in france/europe has gone out for non essential reasons and required travel insurance. Surely we would have heard of one by now.

Personally, I dont get how the FCO can advise against travel to France when I believe every other country in Europe deems it safe to travel to. What is the difference in the information we have about France that Germany doesnt have ? Or is it possible that the Government would like you to stay in this country because it helps their economic thought processes.

I respect the decision that people with a different outlook have made in remaining here

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
As long as UK gov advise against all but essential travel your travel insurance is void if you have set off on your journey after that advise is issued .
( If anyone can show me otherwise I would be pleased to know)

As for vehicle insurance On another thread Bounty Hunter posted this master class in obfuscation from Comfort Ins on the matter:::::

" I asked Comfort Insurance if the van was covered if we travelled against FCO advice. Here is there response:"

With regards to your email, we would advise that we do not have any restrictions on our motorhome policy with regards to going against government advice so technically your policy will be valid. However, as stated in out policy wording, it is the customers responsibility to protect their asset so going against government advice could be concluded as not taking care of that asset.

Also customers may find that our ability to assist them in practical terms may be impacted by any domestic or international restrictions in the country they are in (be that arranging local repairs or transportation of the vehicle back home should that be needed following an incident).

You state that if fco advice changes then i wont be covered with travel insurance for the whole of my trip.
I have just trawled the web and can find nothing that confirms this.
Presumably you have read this somewhere but you also ask for contrary information. It is either a fact or its an opinion.
As for vehicle insurance i am covered. As i suspect everybody else is. But each person would need to check their own insurer

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Can someone find a 3rd party overheard conversation in the pub (or on the internet) where someone in france/europe has gone out for non essential reasons and required travel insurance. Surely we would have heard of one by now.

Personally, I dont get how the FCO can advise against travel to France when I believe every other country in Europe deems it safe to travel to. What is the difference in the information we have about France that Germany doesnt have ? Or is it possible that the Government would like you to stay in this country because it helps their economic thought processes.

I respect the decision that people with a different outlook have made in remaining here

i overheard a woman in the launderette next to the shop where my nephew buys his sausages which come from a reputable source, that if you travel abroad that the diet pills she is taking wont work because of the different gravitational pull of hot weather and you cant claim a refund because theyre not guaranteed to work according to govt advice ...

thats why some people make a choice as to not buy things or do stuff ...

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
From Gov website, my bold/italics

When we advise against foreign travel
We sometimes advise against all travel or all but essential travel to a particular place. In cases of non-terrorist threats like coups, civil unrest or natural disasters we will advise against travel only when we consider the risk to British nationals is unacceptably high.

In the case of terrorism we will only advise against travel in situations of extreme and imminent danger, where the threat is sufficiently specific, large-scale or endemic to affect British nationals severely.

Definition of ‘essential travel’
Sometimes we say that only essential travel is advised. Whether travel is essential or not is your own decision. You may have urgent family or business commitments to attend to. Circumstances differ from person to person. Only you can make an informed decision based on the risks.

I would have that if you could show that you had done a risk assesmnt, to your own satisfaction, an insurance company would struggle to invalidate it's policy purely on the above gov. advice

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
From Gov website, my bold/italics

When we advise against foreign travel
We sometimes advise against all travel or all but essential travel to a particular place. In cases of non-terrorist threats like coups, civil unrest or natural disasters we will advise against travel only when we consider the risk to British nationals is unacceptably high.

In the case of terrorism we will only advise against travel in situations of extreme and imminent danger, where the threat is sufficiently specific, large-scale or endemic to affect British nationals severely.

Definition of ‘essential travel’
Sometimes we say that only essential travel is advised. Whether travel is essential or not is your own decision. You may have urgent family or business commitments to attend to. Circumstances differ from person to person. Only you can make an informed decision based on the risks.

I would have that if you could show that you had done a risk assesmnt, to your own satisfaction, an insurance company would struggle to invalidate it's policy purely on the above gov. advice
I could. If i needed to. Use the government advice of every other country in Europe that has determined france to be safe.

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Slightly off piste but has anyone any experience yet, of the Spanish situation where, after temp checks etc on entry they ask for your contact details in Spain so they can check on your condition after a week or so? How does this work on a touring holiday in a Motorhome/camper van? I wonder if they will take a mobile number then, if they deem it necessary, track us with that, if we leave it switched on?

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
You state that if fco advice changes then i wont be covered with travel insurance for the whole of my trip.
I have just trawled the web and can find nothing that confirms this.
Presumably you have read this somewhere but you also ask for contrary information. It is either a fact or its an opinion.
As for vehicle insurance i am covered. As i suspect everybody else is. But each person would need to check their own insurer

I possibly did not make that clear. I have no idea what happens if the advice changes whilst you are away( having left against advice)

I have , however found that Aviva will cover you a bit....

"While we urge you to follow the FCO advice and not to put yourself at additional risk, travelling against FCO advice wouldn’t invalidate your cover.

You aren’t covered for abandonment if the travel advice was in place when you left the UK because COVID-19 is now a known event."

Over the years we have met several people who have been seriously financially damaged by not having insurance including a Swedish couple who sold their house to pay Spanish medical bills.

Safe travels to those who choose to travel with no insurance. I won't.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
If the travel insurance companies have a clause to the effect the the policy is invalid if the Foreign Office advise against travel then that becomes their condition and there is nothing that you can about it!

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
No E111, or the Swedish equivalent? Btw I do agree with you, wouldn’t travel without insurance. I understand that the main issue is repatriation, not the medical bills in Spain, IF you have the E111, at least until the 31st of December!

Over the years we have met several people who have been seriously financially damaged by not having insurance including a Swedish couple who sold their house to pay Spanish medical bills.

Safe travels to those who choose to travel with no insurance. I won't.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Slightly off piste but has anyone any experience yet, of the Spanish situation where, after temp checks etc on entry they ask for your contact details in Spain so they can check on your condition after a week or so? How does this work on a touring holiday in a Motorhome/camper van? I wonder if they will take a mobile number then, if they deem it necessary, track us with that, if we leave it switched on?
They may simply ask you to use commonsense, have reasonable regard for their rules, and make contact after the appropriate period?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
What 3rd party liabilities could possibly be claimed against travel insurance? I don't even , nor have ever, had any? It isn't anything that would occur to me to think about?

http://roumanie2014.eklablog.com/

Gus, here's a typical example :

Whilst overseas travelling against F/O advice, the traveller personally accidentally / intentionally causes damage / inflicts injury to someone else or their property, they individually, or as a company then sue you for damages / reparations, the cost is £ ( insert shockingly high figure here ).

You have no travel ins' & therefore are personally liable for your own legal costs, damages awarded, etc etc.

It's happened many times before & will happen again.

Not a risk i ever have taken or would take.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002

Drove into Spain this morning on the A9 from France. No checks or controls of any type, just drove through as usual. Nice receptionist did take my temperature when booking into the site - I passed(y):giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back