Looking for panel boards to repair roof inside Autotrail Scout (1 Viewer)

Camshaft

Free Member
Nov 8, 2014
Wirral, Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
since 2000
Hi, does anyone know where I can get replacement panel boards for the ceiling in my Autotrail Scout. Am attempting a repair myself as the ridiculous quote of £6,000 has frightened and spurred me into renewing my engineering skills. Just need to know where to get items from???

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
or would it be easier to replace the whole lot - or possibly cover the existing boards that are ok and pack out the areas where new ones are required to make them the same level? that way you can pick a nice new contemporary looking ceiling board?

it would be interesting to see project pictures as you progress .....

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the boards are very expensive, but shipping 8ft x 4ft sheets can be ridiculous for 1 or 2 sheets

OP
OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Free Member
Nov 8, 2014
Wirral, Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
since 2000
I am looking to remove the whole ceiling including rotten batons and insulation. Will be taking step by step photos. Just need the products to replace. I am still in shock at the price quoted for the "damp repair" job!! Does anyone else think £6000 - £7,000 a bit over the top especially as this company would expect to keep the bus for approx. 2 months???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
How long is a piece of string? we have no idea of exactly how bad the roof is and £6000 - £7000 could replace the whole roof.

Repairing a wet roof is fairly straight forward when done one board at a time to retain strength. Replace rotten softwood with pressure treated timber glued and screwed in. then bond new wallboard on to make the area structurally rigid again using 2 part adhesive

OP
OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Free Member
Nov 8, 2014
Wirral, Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
since 2000
Point taken. The quote was for removing damp timbers, etc and replacing2 panel on ceiling and one panel in toilet. I agree you can't see the complete job until the ceiling is out so onwards and upwards quite looking forward to starting now! Many thanks for input

OP
OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Free Member
Nov 8, 2014
Wirral, Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
since 2000
The roof isn't flat there is a sky light as well. What's happening is the fibreglass roof is sinking because the slats and inside panels boards are damaged with damp. Hey thanks every suggestion is welcome.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If you decide to board it you can always buy the wallpaper separately..Supplier on the thread @Riverbankannie supplied.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
You may well find 3 or 4 of these very useful to hold panels and timbers in place.
I found them invaluable when I replace some the of the ceiling panels in our old Eura Mobile.

If your roof has sunken then you can use these to gentle ease it back into position.

prop.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back