Lockdown Out Smart the Thief (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
First of all can I say if you don't have a good opinion of OTT then don't bother replying.

This is about great service from Carl and what is a superb alarm system. We agreed to get it fitted last Friday in Lowdhams field on our new Dethleffs before we headed off to Germany. Carl's fitter arrived at 2pm and it took 2 hours to fit. It's quite similar to the Vanbitz we had before but the main difference is the lockdown system and 24/7 Tracker. In the event of a targeted theft the van is put into lockdown and we are immediately called from Carl and his team.
It's a very good system and we are so comfortable with it already.
I know a lot of people on this forum prefer Vanbitz it's also a great system but equally Out Smart the Thief is just as good.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Agreed, both very good systems. I have OTT and am very happy with it.

One advantage IMO that Carl has over eddievanbitz is the mobile installation anywhere in the U.K. especially if you live up north but I guess Eddie has enough business to not bother being nationwide.

It was the distance that was the deciding factor for me.

Aug 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
talbot Glendale
Hi just been reading your post, could you give me Carl website or telephone number as I rang vanbitz and was told my MH was to old for there security alarms. Regards steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
From my research outsmart the thief can easily be removed by someone with knowledge. We have it fitted. On our van when we bought it but have never enquired to what we do have installed.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We havnt got any of this stuff on our van so I suppose I shouldn't reply but one thing that hits me in your post, is are you relieing on one bloke to ring you, what happens if he goes bankrupt or ill or something.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We havnt got any of this stuff on our van so I suppose I shouldn't reply but one thing that hits me in your post, is are you relieing on one bloke to ring you, what happens if he goes bankrupt or ill or something.
He ain't just one guy.(y)

Unless that is his trousers were toooooooo tight the last time he phoned me with a female voice!:giggler:

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Comfort rejected them when I asked as non Thatcham approved. I would hope that has changed by now
I've got the OTT and Comfort are fine with them now .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I could have been tempted as well but NFU didn’t accept them, friends had it fitted and were very happy 😊

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
It was the tracker that was the issue
We have the alarm and tracker and there wasn't an issue when I told them what was fitted.
It was on the van when we bought it so didn't see the point in changing it if the insurance were OK with it. 👍

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Having had my van attacked (Obviously I have the vanbitz alarm!) it saved my van, I also had a van stolen from my forecourt. They tried two and one had a Vanbitz alarm, they made a mess but didn’t get the van.
WESTY66 is a great person for advice on OTT vs Vanbitz!

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Wildax install OTT as one of their options. Carl and his small team get a fantastic feedback from Wildax owners, seems to be a very efficient friendly helpful service. Not an owner myself, stuck with standard Mercedes’ alarm and a tracker.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
I have just bought a recovered stolen van, it was cheap and can be repaired however the insurance company didn’t pay out as it was not Thatcham, the poor lady lost a fortune.
Thatcham is there for a reason…

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I have just bought a recovered stolen van, it was cheap and can be repaired however the insurance company didn’t pay out as it was not Thatcham, the poor lady lost a fortune.
Thatcham is there for a reason…
Out of interest, do you know if the owner lied and say it was Thatcham.
or
was it the Insurance company going on the small print which said alarms had to be Thatcham
(If so, who was the insurance company ? as obviously one to avoid)

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
We had OTT on our previous MoHo. Not a bad word to say about their system or the service they provided.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Out of interest, do you know if the owner lied and say it was Thatcham.
or
was it the Insurance company going on the small print which said alarms had to be Thatcham
(If so, who was the insurance company ? as obviously one to avoid)
It was probably insurance small print however another £200 to get Thatcham on a £60,000 purchase just makes sense.
Any insurance companies job is to look for reason to look to get out of paying!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks Sandra; good to hear. Sadly a few years too late for more than a few of us
Yes, me included , I was once told I would save £20 if it was thatcham approved. No big loss really.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thatcham is old technology.
I think that Eddie Vanbitz has been telling everyone that Thatcham standards are old hat for a long time but the insurers cling to it so we are stuffed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back