Lithium batteries what do you have (1 Viewer)

S_L_vanlife

Free Member
Mar 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Hi, Guys. I am looking at installing LifePo4 battery's into my camper van. I have three so far i am looking at and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them and any recommendations. I will be starting of with 100 aH batteries.

This one from QS looks good HD model at £660

www.qualitysource.co.uk

12V 100Ah Lithium Battery LiFePO4 HD Series

12V 100Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery (HD) Deep cycle leisure battery that is ideally suited for use in power boats, sailing craft, canal boats, caravans, motor homes, RV’s, off-road winch batteries, Land Rover winch batteries, invalid carriages, personal mobility scooters, garden machinery...
www.qualitysource.co.uk
www.qualitysource.co.uk

This one again from QS is similar to the HD above but a cheaper version, wonder what's been removed to reduce price at £549

www.qualitysource.co.uk

12V 100Ah HD Blue. Max 100Amp continuous current BMS.

Blue100 12V 100Ah Lithium Battery The 12V 100Ah HD BLUE battery is Polinovel's new lower priced 100Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. The HD Blue battery is a variation of the incredible HD 12V 100Ah battery. Designed to offer a lower price than the std HD, yet still built to an extremely...
www.qualitysource.co.uk
www.qualitysource.co.uk

eBay one from ULTRAMAX LEISURE not sure about this one it has all the spec but has anyone got one and know if it is good at £499

www.ebay.co.uk

ULTRAMAX LEISURE 12V 100Ah LiFePO4 LITHIUM ELECTRIC BOAT BATTERY WITH BLUETOOTH | eBay

Ultramax 12v 100Ah SMART LITHIUM PHOSPHATE LiFePO4 Battery With Bluetooth Communication Function for Leisure, Solar, Wind and Off-grid 12 volt etc. Ultramax 12v 100Ah LiFePo4 battery bluetooth function can monitor the following status from smart phone.
www.ebay.co.uk

Also Like the look of Roamer batteries which are good price and same spec as QS at £450

Any thought and does anyone here have lithium batteries fitted with good/bad experiences

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
There are few in here that have the ultramax, including myself. Pretty good battery, but you can find the same for under 450 quid. The 499 is overpriced.
Polinovel is good but to pricey, the other haven’t heard of.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Ive got the bluetooth version of the Polinovel (QS) a200ah nd havent had any issues, not that Id be able to tell tbh,
They just work

Ive also got a cheap 100ah of the one you listed above about 10 days ago (direct from China though), charged it fully, ran it for a few days to drain it and didnt seem anything dodgy about it.

Lithiums are dropping all the time, Id say the cheapo above is as good as any.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S_L_vanlife

S_L_vanlife

Free Member
Mar 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Thanks guys, I like the look of the Roamer which is the cheapest, from what i can see they are dealers of only Lithium batteries. Where as the cheap Chinese maybe good but I do have to consider safety with Lithium

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
I bought a sterling power one from their clearance section. They're new batteries but have been opened to install a Bluetooth module and a fair bit cheaper than the RRP

Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
I’ve got 100 ah lithium Bluetooth from KS. Energy £600.00 and not had any issues
It performs great.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Recently bought the ultramax BT 100Ah £440 16/3/21 not fitted yet, waiting for bits and pieces.
There are different flavours of Lithium ion. some are less safe than others. LiFePO4 LFP Lithium iron phosphate is the least non safe battery. (There is no such thing as a safe battery)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Recently bought the ultramax BT 100Ah £440 16/3/21 not fitted yet, waiting for bits and pieces.
There are different flavours of Lithium ion. some are less safe than others. LiFePO4 LFP Lithium iron phosphate is the least non safe battery. (There is no such thing as a safe battery)
What bit is not safe with the LiFePo4? Even direct puncture will not set it on fire, it will just gas. On the other hand, try pierce a LiPo or LiCo, instant combustion. Also LTO are as safe as LiFePo4’s. They just gas till dry out.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
(There is no such thing as a safe battery)
Raul
As above the chemistry of any battery will yield non safe conditions, i wouldn't bathe in sulphuric acid yet been happy to have a few litres sloshing about in a box in my car and mh for the last xx odd years . The Lifepo4 battery in the van is less risk to me than walking down the street. AND i dont want to do a risk assessment of the Tesla parked infront of the garage next to mine.
I had the joy of helping introduce COSHH at Plessey Avionics in the early 90s
Ps
I have now left that life of risk assessment PFMEA and COSHH in a little memory box.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, Guys. I am looking at installing LifePo4 battery's into my camper van. I have three so far i am looking at and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them and any recommendations. I will be starting of with 100 aH batteries.

This one from QS looks good HD model at £660

www.qualitysource.co.uk

12V 100Ah Lithium Battery LiFePO4 HD Series

12V 100Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Battery (HD) Deep cycle leisure battery that is ideally suited for use in power boats, sailing craft, canal boats, caravans, motor homes, RV’s, off-road winch batteries, Land Rover winch batteries, invalid carriages, personal mobility scooters, garden machinery...
www.qualitysource.co.uk
www.qualitysource.co.uk

This one again from QS is similar to the HD above but a cheaper version, wonder what's been removed to reduce price at £549

www.qualitysource.co.uk

12V 100Ah HD Blue. Max 100Amp continuous current BMS.

Blue100 12V 100Ah Lithium Battery The 12V 100Ah HD BLUE battery is Polinovel's new lower priced 100Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. The HD Blue battery is a variation of the incredible HD 12V 100Ah battery. Designed to offer a lower price than the std HD, yet still built to an extremely...
www.qualitysource.co.uk
www.qualitysource.co.uk

eBay one from ULTRAMAX LEISURE not sure about this one it has all the spec but has anyone got one and know if it is good at £499

www.ebay.co.uk

ULTRAMAX LEISURE 12V 100Ah LiFePO4 LITHIUM ELECTRIC BOAT BATTERY WITH BLUETOOTH | eBay

Ultramax 12v 100Ah SMART LITHIUM PHOSPHATE LiFePO4 Battery With Bluetooth Communication Function for Leisure, Solar, Wind and Off-grid 12 volt etc. Ultramax 12v 100Ah LiFePo4 battery bluetooth function can monitor the following status from smart phone.
www.ebay.co.uk

Also Like the look of Roamer batteries which are good price and same spec as QS at £450

Any thought and does anyone here have lithium batteries fitted with good/bad experiences
I've ordered the 300Ah one from roamer, but it isn't due to be dispatched for a month (assuming the Suez canal has cleared its backlog by then).

However, if you think 100Ah won't be enough eventually, I'd recommend stretching now to a single larger battery. It will be a ballache running multiple batteries with independent BMS. Many (most?) Bluetooth BMS won't play with additional batteries very nicely and you won't get a combined state of charge reading. You'd end needing an additional shunt battery monitor to totalise the battery energy available, which costs money. Charging two batteries from a single charger will be less optimal, especially if they every get unbalanced from each other. Maybe better to buy a 200/300Ah from the start?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
KS Energy 120ah... Unfortunately I got mine when they first came onto the scene so does not have bluetooth.. 2.years and so far no issues.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I have eight of these giving me 54AH in the space of the previos 2 100AH lead acid batteries.
Edit to give cost:
I paid 1600 USD delivered in August 2019

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have eight of these giving me 54AH in the space of the previos 2 100AH lead acid batteries.
Edit to give cost:
I paid 1600 USD delivered in August 2019
You might want to edit your total capacity too! That's a lot of capacity for the money, especially back then, but I guess the BMS is extra.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Nothing to do with Motorhome batteries but my daughter and her partner have not long had a Visla puppy. She got hold of a Lithium battery and like any puppy started to chew it. James, a solicitor, was on a Zoom call advising clients when he noticed. She had already punctured the battery and had got liquid in her mouth so he left the Zoom clients and rushed Maggie to wash her mouth out. By the time he got back the battery was on fire! He put the small fire out and Maggie seems to be no worse off for the experience. No doubt the clients were somewhat bemused by the goings on! Not to be messed with by the sound of it!

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Nothing to do with Motorhome batteries but my daughter and her partner have not long had a Visla puppy. She got hold of a Lithium battery and like any puppy started to chew it. James, a solicitor, was on a Zoom call advising clients when he noticed. She had already punctured the battery and had got liquid in her mouth so he left the Zoom clients and rushed Maggie to wash her mouth out. By the time he got back the battery was on fire! He put the small fire out and Maggie seems to be no worse off for the experience. No doubt the clients were somewhat bemused by the goings on! Not to be messed with by the sound of it!
What was this “ lithium battery” used for? These are not the same as vape batteries .

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If the battery caught fire it is not going to be LiFePO4. There are several other types and the chemistries are all different.

Glad the pup is ok.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
If the battery caught fire it is not going to be LiFePO4. There are several other types and the chemistries are all different.

Glad the pup is ok.
Agreed . This is the kind story that puts people off lithium leisure battery’s

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
This what Relion say about their LiFePO4 battery. Clearly aimed at reassuring those who live in a gun happy society.

CELL CIRCUIT PROTECTION If the battery is penetrated by bullets or lodged metal from an accident the circuit board will seperate the impacted cells from the rest of the cells allowing the battery to continue functioning with less capacity.

I reckon it will be puppy proof too.

Sep 23, 2020
Yapton, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic 4.8
Exp
Since 2017
Surely you meant to say LIFEP04 is the SAFEST of all current technologies, not least?.
For what is available today for us all it is the best and safest option as well as the longest lived although that has yet to be proven of course.
A good internal BMS system will protect the battery from all major problems.
No box of stored energy of anything is safe as you say. But we need a 100 amps of some form to power our MH or caravan and as the prices fall with all the advantages that LIFEP04 has over lead acid, gel, Agm, lead carbon it will become the Standard of the future IMHO. 😀.
The downside is the price but even that is tumbling by the month as each month goes by.
Of course we may need B2B chargers and different solar controllers and mains chargers with lithium profiles but any new technology we take on requires new kit to get the best out of it.
I used to fly electric RC models in 2007 a new LIPO 2000mah 3 cell battery was £55.00. Today a 2200mah battery is £10.00..!!!.
Today no modeller would dream of using big heavy low powered NICAD batterieries in a model.
I believe we are now at the same transition stage from LA, GEL, AGM etc to LIFEP04 maybe the will never be as cheap as old tech but only time will tell. 😀.
Have a sunny day all.. We will hopefully all be free to use our new Lithium power. 😀.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Surely you meant to say LIFEP04 is the SAFEST of all current technologies, not least?.
Don't wish to fall foul to the grammar or spelling police BUT i think he did mean it was the safest
He quoted "least non safe" which could be read as all batteries are unsafe but lifepo4 is the least unsafest.!!!
I.e. the safest

Sep 23, 2020
Yapton, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic 4.8
Exp
Since 2017
Don't wish to fall foul to the grammar or spelling police BUT i think he did mean it was the safest
He quoted "least non safe" which could be read as all batteries are unsafe but lifepo4 is the least unsafest.!!!
I.e. the safest
OMG you of course correct, no 7 nespresso just kicking in. 😀.
No offence meant or implied.
Will edit my post.
Thanks for your post. 👍

Sep 23, 2020
Yapton, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic 4.8
Exp
Since 2017
Your grammar is clearly better than mine. 😀.
Please accept my apologies, no offence meant in my post above.
Coffee kicked in now. Have a ☀ day.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Agreed . This is the kind story that puts people off lithium leisure battery’s
Apologies but I'm just a humble retired accountant and like most people, know little about the technology of lithium batteries other than the fact that some claim, on the battery packaging, to have lithium used in their manufacture. It was not my intention to put people of lithium batteries for motorhomes but to alert people to the fact that one should not leave batteries containing lithium lying around the house to be chewed by dogs or mucked about with by kids as the consequences could be dangerous!

Aug 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2012
I have recently had installed 2 x 100ah Transporter Energy batteries together with a host of Victron stuff and all seems very good. The system was specced on the advice of RV installations. There were cheaper battery options but am of the opinion that you only get what you pay for.

Rio340

Free Member
Sep 8, 2017
Funster No
KS-HT120.jpg I went with KS energy. One of these which I now gather they have upgraded with a new app for its Bluetooth simply because they give a 10 year warranty. Also seem to safety test everything I was unable to find anyone else that so much as published this information which makes you wonder why. https://www.ksenergy.co.uk/pdfs

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back