LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I am hoping to travel to Europe mainly France, around March next year and I was hoping to find a thread on here that someone had started with refference to what you need to take with you legaly and helpful,
I did a search but came up a blank. So unless you good people can direct me to a thread or even a web address I would hope to start a list here on this thread.
Any help will be most appreciated.
Many Thanks to all who contribute.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
No shortage of official lists online for motoring stuff.

I think most of us would add an EHU extension cable. I still find myself needing it on some European campsites.

If you've got refillable gas there's adapters you'll need for topping up at the LPG pump. For aires I sometimes find a couple of drain keys handy too, and a collection of 1 and 2 Euro coins for parking machines.

The game changer for me was a 10 litre plastic watering can - so much easier for topping up water than faffing about with a hose or a jerry can. If you take a hose, take a range of tap adapters and fixings.

If you're using a SatNav you can download free POIs for leading French supermarkets like Carrefour, E Leclerc, Auchan, Super-U and Intermarche, where the fuel is cheaper too. For aire/campsite POIs try the CCI website (other providers are available).

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have found the toll tag invaluable this year even though paying has in recent years become easier with credit card.
We have got the ATMB one which only charges €1.60 for any month in which it is used. No annual fee. So much easier to sail through the toll barriers.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Still could be really cold in march

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
No shortage of official lists online for motoring stuff.

I think most of us would add an EHU extension cable. I still find myself needing it on some European campsites.

If you've got refillable gas there's adapters you'll need for topping up at the LPG pump. For aires I sometimes find a couple of drain keys handy too, and a collection of 1 and 2 Euro coins for parking machines.

The game changer for me was a 10 litre plastic watering can - so much easier for topping up water than faffing about with a hose or a jerry can. If you take a hose, take a range of tap adapters and fixings.

If you're using a SatNav you can download free POIs for leading French supermarkets like Carrefour, E Leclerc, Auchan, Super-U and Intermarche, where the fuel is cheaper too. For aire/campsite POIs try the CCI website (other providers are available).

All good advice there. I would just add that you need the 1+2 Euro coins for service points on many Aires, but some need 'Jetons' (tokens) obtainable locally, sometimes the Mairie and/or local Tabacs/Boulangeries(sometimes listed on the facility), but there are several different types of service points with different shaped Jetons, so do not stock up on too many of one type.

In the tap adapters I would include the type that has a rubber neck which can slide over a normal tap and has a screw jubilee clip to clamp it on - I have come across at least one Aire that needed this and it can be used at other places.

Geoff

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
most sites were either closed or near empty.

Good point. Most French campsites don't open until around Easter time, so be prepared to use aires, which shouldn't be very busy. Spring weather will be better in the southern half of France as a general rule, and sometimes you get lucky, but not always.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Don't bother with breathalysers theres no penalty if you don't have them.
Its not a legal requirement. The bill was never passed through the French courts for final approval. And as for all the other stuff. I have lived in France for the last twenty years, I had a driving job for 8 years averaging 120,000km each year and have never been asked for any of that stuff. As for a spare set of light bulbs. What's the point. If you own a Renault Scenic or Clio its a three hour job in the Renault agent to change a headlamp bulb.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I just bought a set of bulbs on ebay to wave at the gendarmes if asked (also on offer sometimes at aldi)and hi vis vest from screwfix (3.99) a lot cheaper than the AA

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
upload_2017-12-15_9-47-49.png

You may need one of these connections , we found that some of the aires now have this sort of connection for water , take care ,as soon as you connect it water shoot's out some make sure your hose is attached & pointing the other way.

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Legal- Hi-Viz for each occupant kept inside, spare bulbs, warning triangle
Helpful- Spare fuses (all sizes), Duct tape, Adaptor to go from French 2 pin to UK 3 pin blue socket, reverse polarity check plug and "amended" lead to suit, small tool kit for running repairs and all the other stuff mentioned above.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back