Lille in November (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 196
Exp
We are hoping to visit Lille in mid November but are struggling to find anywhere to stop over, does anyone know of any aire or campsite that is open at this time?

OP
OP
Leith Laddie
Sep 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 196
Exp
We're on the Arras aire at the moment and there's a trainline to Lille.
Thanks that might be a great possibility to enable us to visit our friends. Is the aire near the train station?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Arras aire to train station is a fair walk. Opposite side of the town, and all uphill on way there. Did it two weeks ago šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Why would you want to go to Lille?
I was there in September - felt like "assault on precinct 13".
There are shops selling guns, pepper spray and cattle prods.
Young tw*ts trying kung fu moves on passing tourists
Plenty of temporary travellers "from the South"
Beggars at the traffic lights etc etc

I personally shall never return.

Brugges is pleasant, Ypres in interesting, Dinant, Meuse valley and the Ardennes worth a trip.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
5 years ago there was an aire alongside the River Marne sorry can't be more specific.
We had a good time there on 2 occasions visitng Various champagne houses the best being Ruinart.
Think there may be an aire at Epernay well worth a visit is you enjoy champagne tasting.
Try Avenue Champagne have a look on google maps

OP
OP
Leith Laddie
Sep 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 196
Exp
We left Calella this morning after a three night stopover to visit Barcelona. Barcelona didn't disappoint with the Sagrada Familia the jewel in the crown. After 140 years of building the have only completed 9 of the 18 spires. We are in Beziers tonight with weather being just a wee bit breezy and rainy, our first rain of our trip. Onward to Lyon in the morning.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We left Calella this morning after a three night stopover to visit Barcelona. Barcelona didn't disappoint with the Sagrada Familia the jewel in the crown. After 140 years of building the have only completed 9 of the 18 spires. We are in Beziers tonight with weather being just a wee bit breezy and rainy, our first rain of our trip. Onward to Lyon in the morning.
Is that near Lille?šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We are hoping to visit Lille in mid November but are struggling to find anywhere to stop over, does anyone know of any aire or campsite that is open at this time?
You can park on the carpark at the cathedral but be warned you can get yobs knocking on your van during the night we had to move the only time we ever had any problems in France
Bill

OP
OP
Leith Laddie
Sep 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 196
Exp
You can park on the carpark at the cathedral but be warned you can get yobs knocking on your van during the night we had to move the only time we ever had any problems in France
Bill
Oh that sounds awful, I think you can find yobbish behaviour anywhere, fortunately we haven't experienced it on our travels.

Nov 6, 2022
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D55 Fun
Exp
nearly 40 years!
Hiya Leith Laddie, we are also hoping to spend a day in Lille, next week while we're in the area for another event. Did you manage to find anywhere that you will go to for the night? Or somewhere to park and then take the train or tram in?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Gosh, anyone going to Lille is brave, I have not been for years, it is a city I cannot get my head around. I have to drive to the train station and then go to where I want to be from there, I have got lost every time :eek:

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
Why would you want to go to Lille?
I was there in September - felt like "assault on precinct 13".
There are shops selling guns, pepper spray and cattle prods.
Young tw*ts trying kung fu moves on passing tourists
Plenty of temporary travellers "from the South"
Beggars at the traffic lights etc etc

I personally shall never return.

Brugges is pleasant, Ypres in interesting, Dinant, Meuse valley and the Ardennes worth a trip.
We hade a few weeks travelling in our car before we got the van a few years back and stayed in Lille for a few nights, there was a big market on at the time and the whole place was like a rubbish dump never seen so much crap lying aroundā˜¹ļøā˜¹ļøEven apart from that itā€™s not particularly a pleasant place so itā€™s not on our list of places to return to.
Plenty of other places nearby

Nov 6, 2022
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D55 Fun
Exp
nearly 40 years!
Hiya Leith Laddie, we are also hoping to spend a day in Lille, next week while we're in the area for another event. Did you manage to find anywhere that you will go to for the night? Or somewhere to park and then take the train or tram in?
Hi, me again. I just used the website SearchforSites (and downloaded the app). It shows the parking spot in Lille near the citadel that LennyHB mentioned, and other possibilities further out. We've decided to park at Bailleul, north of Lille as its got a station with frequent trains into Lille. At certain times of day the train is only 2euros! (For over 60s...) The train journey takes between 20 and 30 minutes. Worth a try I think. Good luck with your trip.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
We hade a few weeks travelling in our car before we got the van a few years back and stayed in Lille for a few nights, there was a big market on at the time and the whole place was like a rubbish dump never seen so much crap lying aroundā˜¹ļøā˜¹ļøEven apart from that itā€™s not particularly a pleasant place so itā€™s not on our list of places to return to.
Plenty of other places nearby
Lille used to have a huge antiques market perhaps your times coincided

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
Lille used to have a huge antiques market perhaps your times coincided
Thatā€™s what it was, every street full of stuff, also never seen so many restaurants with piles of mussel shells on tables.
Must have cleared out half of Frances stock in that townšŸ˜šŸ˜

Also had a good look around and it seemed all crap not even a decent sign for my garage to be foundā˜¹ļøā˜¹ļø

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Thatā€™s what it was, every street full of stuff, also never seen so many restaurants with piles of mussel shells on tables.
Must have cleared out half of Frances stock in that townšŸ˜šŸ˜

Also had a good look around and it seemed all crap not even a decent sign for my garage to be foundā˜¹ļøā˜¹ļø
Lol its world famous for antiques so I've been told loads of lovely stuff. And loads of tat but junk or treasure someone likes it

OP
OP
Leith Laddie
Sep 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 196
Exp
DiasyDreamer unfortunately Lille is a barren landscape for Motorhommers. We parked up in the street opposite our friends house and they put us up for the night. As a city it has a very well-deserved reputation as being the most unwelcoming of French cities to Motorhommers.

Nov 6, 2022
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D55 Fun
Exp
nearly 40 years!
DiasyDreamer unfortunately Lille is a barren landscape for Motorhommers. We parked up in the street opposite our friends house and they put us up for the night. As a city it has a very well-deserved reputation as being the most unwelcoming of French cities to Motorhommers.
What a pity that Lille is so unwelcoming to motorhomes. Hope you had a good time anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back