Lift up bed for new self build.

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by Gromett, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Gary Wrench

Gary Wrench Funster

Ratings:
    +3
    Also I found a few things similar to your plans .. there are garage storage lifts available that lift a platform up into your garage roof , Thule make one I’ve seen on Amazon for lifting roof box up into garage roof away from car, may need beefing up and changing from steel wire /rope pulleys to webbing - for webbing look at ratchet strap manufacturers as they will sell it in long rolls and 1” wide stuff is more than capable of taking the weight of the bed.

2. AXO66

AXO66 Funster

Ratings:
    +178
    Looks like the kit we have in our chausson with a drop down bed.
    Might be worth a good look at the nec in a couple if weeks, especially the size and power ofthe elrctruc engine they use?

3. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Ratings:
    +6,875
    Just about to say the same but Chausson also have an aluminium channel with a roller in it to stop the bed swaying on the webbing

4. AXO66

AXO66 Funster

Ratings:
    +178
    They do with an adjustment on the bolt that engages with it. And also a channel to take the electric lead up to the motor.
    Also rattles a bit!

5. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +9,663
  6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,745
    @Gromett ... when we were on holiday we met a lovely American couple from San Francisco, they'd had an ex-exhibition van converted to a bespoke MH, and whilst not the ideal layout for you, I immediately thought of your conversions plans - it is very individual to them, but they had a rising bed built which worked on pulleys with a winch - they'd been in the MH for 18 months I think touring Europe and said it worked a treat.

The shower was 'sunk' into the floor with a lift up frame which hooked onto the ceiling/wall, a great space saving idea and when not in use the large shower tray was used for further storage of bulky stuff. They also used coving along the top of the walls to hide all the wiring etc rather than use conduit etc.

It was great for them to be able to open the side of the MH for a lovely view which also acted as a sun/rain canopy, they could also lower down the bottom part of that wall too as a large balcony if they wanted. It meant that they could have a large storage area at the rear, with cupboard above in the kitchen area making great use of the space.

01.JPG 02.JPG 03.JPG 04.JPG 05.JPG
    06.JPG
    07.JPG

09.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG 13.JPG 15.JPG 17.JPG 18.JPG 19.JPG

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,032
    Thanks Minxy :) I have seen a video of that van. Was very nice but not really for me...

I have got a new plan for the bed.. Will post soon.

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,032
    ok. Will post about it now just in case I forget..

I am going to use sash window weights and concealed pulleys to take care of the lifting/lowering.

Then I am going to use 4 pairs of skateboard wheels, 2 wheels on each corner of the bed in a track to keep the bed located in the correct place..

I have a fairly good idea on how to get this done. The sash weight will be concealed in the wall the same way they are in a sash window.
    This on it's own wouldn't work as one side could go up faster than the other etc and jam up like an old sash window can.. So I am going to mount on the short side near each end a pair of skate board wheels. One at the top and one at the bottom.. These will run in a track recessed in the wall.

The weights will be heavier than the bed so you have to push the bed up and then there will be a couple of pins that will hold it up physically.

I should be able to do this in such a way that most of the mechanisms are either concealed in the wall or are under a panel and the head and foot of the bed.

Hope this makes sense.

• Like it Like it x 2
  9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,745
    Initial thought Gromett is that those weights will make a hell of a racket when you're driving! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,032
    Not the way I fit them :p

Plus in the box on the back, doubt I will hear anything in the cab...

11. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,032
    Hmm, this looks good (ish). Would box a lot in mind you..

12. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +5,417
    2 channels for guidance/location , and 4 gas struts , job done :)
    have seen several versions on youtube MoHo Builds , Just an idea on KISS principle .

eg

@Gromett

13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,032
    Would need an inverter to power it though as I can't find a 12v version only 240v but that is not too much of an issue I don't think.

14. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +5,417
  15. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +8,967
    Counterbalance weights mean you are effectively doubling the weight of your bed - seem counter-intuitive to me (y).

16. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,032
    Not a problem, building in a 7.5T truck :D

17. QFour

QFour Funster

Ratings:
    +1,294
    Whatever you do it has to be failsafe. IMO it’s the most important bit of the MH. Our all singing Pilote Electric Bed was a pain in the neck. Electronically controlled electric rams pushed the scissor action side pieces up and down when it felt like it and not always together. Others we have talked to have had rails pull out of the woodwork. Some others have webbing round a shaft and when it stops you get an electric drill out and fit it to the hexagon end of the motor shaft. If you can do it mechanically all the better. What about using the bed system from an A Class. All it has are a few levers and a couple of rams to help counterbalance it. Works a treat.

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +29,032
    Whatever solution I choose will be over engineered and designed to be manually operable on case of failure.

19. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +8,967
    Not mine. It has electric rams. They work in approximate synchronisation and because in the down position the bed has limit switches on each end (each side of the van), one for each ram, any minimal out of synch is corrected automatically. Internal limit switches within each ram limit upward movement which, again, maintains synch. The mechanism is scissor arms with one blade of each scissors free to move horizontally within a slide. The other arm of each scissors is linked with a tube through the rear (access) side of the bed. There appear to be no electronics or diagnostics used - all to the good IMO - although a couple of relays may be involved. Observed out-of-synch appears to be less than an inch of bed travel as it hits the limit switches which, as I said, correct it anyway.

A class beds with gas struts do work well but are very load-dependant. I do have limited experience of them but one (probably failing) set had trouble with extra bedding stored up there and required a fair amount of effort to start them off. I replaced them like-for-like which left me with a bed I had to hold down whilst removing the stored bedding and tidying the remaining bed ready for use.

20. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +8,967
    Fail-safe: I can't think of any method of making an electrically operated bed easy to operate manually. Winding anything operated by a very low-geared electric motor will be painful in the extreme unless a drill coupling can be arranged. Even then if dual lifting arrangements are used it will need connecting to each strut / winch in turn at very regular intervals to avoid straining the mechanism. If the bed electrics are kept simple and known to the owner (as in this case) access to the ram connections will be the easiest way to raise the bed unless a ram motor has failed. In that case I suspect the easiest method would be to use a trolley jack & spreader pad to (a) remove weight from the rams so that they can be freed (b) raise the bed so ratchet straps could be deployed to keep it there. I think if I was particularly worried I'd carry a spare ram. Or a pair of suitable gas struts.