Lift up bed for new self build. (2 Viewers)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Because it's a truck with a box the 2M at the front is totally lost to the occupant - a shame because swivel seats & the windscreen can turn that area into a very pleasant lounge and can allow a reduction in overall length. For me that's one of the most attractive parts of an A class. I think I'd resent losing it especially if full-timing.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Would definatly be worth installing some manual lock out pins in both its upper and lower resting positions in the tracks tied into to 2 independent mirco switches and strobe lights that flash when the pins are removed.
The bed system used on most A class vans are pretty simplistic. My latest, for example, uses scissor arms at each side operated by 12v linear actuators. Fully down the actuators are stopped by their internal limit switches. Fully up they're each stopped by a microswitch on the top side of the bed. The only "safety" device was a central leather strap with a hole in it for a turnbuckle attached to the bed. That would not support the weight of the bed & lasted only a week before I forgot it when lowering which pulled the turnbuckle through the hole (with no noticeable effect on movement which is why I didn't spot it until it was too late). I've removed the remains on the basis that for the bed to drop from the up position both actuators would have to fail mechanically at the same time (at which point the strap would have failed as well).

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Because it's a truck with a box the 2M at the front is totally lost to the occupant - a shame because swivel seats & the windscreen can turn that area into a very pleasant lounge and can allow a reduction in overall length. For me that's one of the most attractive parts of an A class. I think I'd resent losing it especially if full-timing.

As a fulltimer comfort comes over such niceties as views. There are a number of reasons I choose to have a bulkhead between living and driving.
1) Condensation. Even with the best exterior screens you will still get some condensation in the cab area. Behind my dashboard has rusted badly due to this.
2) Insulation. The cab area is nigh on impossible to insulate to a good enough standard.
3) Security. I like having the hab area seriously secure separately from the cab area. If someone smashes the side window I don't want them being able to access my living area without a fight.
4) lighting when off griding. If I am parked in a car park overnight, I want to be able to make the cab area appear to be unoccupied so as not to attract unwanted attention. Putting silver screens up and curtains tends to attract that attention. Personal experience on that one.

But for me the biggest one is heating/insulation. Much easier if it is separate. As I will have windows on the back and sides and the lounge area is at the back I will be pointing that end at the good views anyway :) Bed is at the front and I don't much need views when lobbing out some zzzz's :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As a fulltimer comfort comes over such niceties as views. There are a number of reasons I choose to have a bulkhead between living and driving.
1) Condensation. Even with the best exterior screens you will still get some condensation in the cab area. Behind my dashboard has rusted badly due to this.
2) Insulation. The cab area is nigh on impossible to insulate to a good enough standard.
3) Security. I like having the hab area seriously secure separately from the cab area. If someone smashes the side window I don't want them being able to access my living area without a fight.
4) lighting when off griding. If I am parked in a car park overnight, I want to be able to make the cab area appear to be unoccupied so as not to attract unwanted attention. Putting silver screens up and curtains tends to attract that attention. Personal experience on that one.

But for me the biggest one is heating/insulation. Much easier if it is separate. As I will have windows on the back and sides and the lounge area is at the back I will be pointing that end at the good views anyway :) Bed is at the front and I don't much need views when lobbing out some zzzz's :D
i have not contributed to this thread as all this tecnical stuff is way above my head, but now you are on to leaving the bulkhead in i am in my element , i converted an ambulance this year as you may have seen by my posts on here and we chose to leave the bulkhead in against most peoples advice , and dont regret it for one moment for the reasons you state as well in our case it even leaves you with more space as you dont have to leave space for getting through to the front or turning your seats round , we have the cooker and fridge across ours and it then leaves you with full width further back and you dont have to have a 'corridor ' through to the back.
if i ever do another one the bulkhead will definitly be staying.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
i have not contributed to this thread as all this tecnical stuff is way above my head, but now you are on to leaving the bulkhead in i am in my element , i converted an ambulance this year as you may have seen by my posts on here and we chose to leave the bulkhead in against most peoples advice , and dont regret it for one moment for the reasons you state as well in our case it even leaves you with more space as you dont have to leave space for getting through to the front or turning your seats round , we have the cooker and fridge across ours and it then leaves you with full width further back and you dont have to have a 'corridor ' through to the back.
if i ever do another one the bulkhead will definitly be staying.
Wasn't so much the view (a bonus) as use of the space for seating. However I'd certainly accept better insulation as a good reason for a van conversion if not so much an A class. A class side insulation, door or not, is as good as the rest of the van & double glazed side windows are an option. An insulated roller blind solves the windscreen problem at night. I completely agree about insulation in a coach built. And I accept the security concerns especially for full timing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a bit of info...

With a 2.4m (2400cm) wide box. I would lose 50cm each side to insulation/wall so my total width is 2300cm vs current 1800. That extra space will allow me to have a lateral bed at the full standard length of 1900cm. This would leave 400cm depth at the foot of the bed for a wardrobe/shelf unit meaning that storage is not required anywhere else then.

kitchen cabinets are 60cm (600mm) deep. So 60cm each side = 1.2m leaving 1.1m walk way. In my current van I have to have a very shallow kitchen to allow a reasonable walkway but it is still narrow resulting in the occasional bashed elbow when leaving drying myself after a shower. That extra width really really will make a huge difference.
I think you've got your mm and cm mixed up there Grom! :D Would you like a new tape measure for Christmas???? :D2

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think you've got your mm and cm mixed up there Grom! :D Would you like a new tape measure for Christmas???? :D2
You are of course correct. I put it down to me posting just before bed after 20 hours of being awake :D

May 21, 2018
Didcot
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79/2f
Exp
4 years
Free 18 month old french bed mattress going free if you know anybody that wants one, must collect near Didcot

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Rather than lifting one can also get pivoting beds. Even if you are not these look like neat bases that you can move about with easy!

Condensation as the result of breathing in an enclosed space should be solvable with a combination of a diesel heater and a small adjustable extractor fan.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Attach lockers to the underside of the bed to hide the mechanism. The lockers will come down with the bed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Rather than lifting one can also get pivoting beds. Even if you are not these look like neat bases that you can move about with easy!

Condensation as the result of breathing in an enclosed space should be solvable with a combination of a diesel heater and a small adjustable extractor fan.
@Wissel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back