Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Crypto isn't investing, it's gambling.
Might as well put your money on "fellatthefirst" at Chepstow.

Investing is a bit problematic for you as, bluntly, you don't have the long term to smooth the fluctuations.

As mentioned, Vanguard lifestyle is a good choice. I have money invested in the 20% shares 80% bonds because safety is important.
But I have invested in the inverse proportion for my great nieces as the have plenty of time.

Fundsmith is also a very sensible investment strategy.

For just £1k, charges are going to be relatively high whatever you do.

Last edited:

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Starting a SIPP is no brainer! The Government give you 25% of what you put in, more for higher rate taxpayers. So if you put in £80, you get £20 top up, as its based on the total amout i.e 20% of 100 = 20, you pay the £80.
Look at Vanguard. They do Self invested personal pensions (SIPP) now at 0.15% which is a lot cheaper then Hargreaves/ AJ Bell etc.
Get a FTSE and US tracker fund/ trust and leave it until you retire.

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Glad to hear you are busy and earning Ian. I was only thinking about you last week.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Or, try these guys Ian - they’ve a decent track record now and cater for small investors …

Simple iPhone app and plain language

a good time to dabble as most will only get better…

good luck mate

Interestingly, JP Morgan just bought Nutmeg a couple of days ago.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I think there was a Funster on here a while back that seem to have a great idea for investments..
He would wait while something tasty was for sale and then offer £1 a week for it. Don't know how it worked but he was always there amongst the first to offer :unsure: ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Glad that Life is being kind to you Ian.(y)(y)
Take Care.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Having done a bit of homework this afternoon, I must say that if I can stick a good few quid away in a pension, that may not be a bad shout!

if the markets attract me, I would want a managed fund, just for experience,, but I must say I’d like to invest a bit into crypto, I know it’s a gamble, but who doesn’t like a flutter! But which one,, the famous Bitcoin, or dogecoin? Lol.

are there any others?

ps, I just stuck a grand into premium bonds, no profit unless you win a quid but I still like to get the money out of my account, cause I seem to just waste so much money on crap over the month,,,,,

keep tge advice coming, especially about the pension thing, do I need a platform for that, or do I need a broker??? Xxx

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Having done a bit of homework this afternoon, I must say that if I can stick a good few quid away in a pension, that may not be a bad shout!

if the markets attract me, I would want a managed fund, just for experience,, but I must say I’d like to invest a bit into crypto, I know it’s a gamble, but who doesn’t like a flutter! But which one,, the famous Bitcoin, or dogecoin? Lol.

are there any others?

ps, I just stuck a grand into premium bonds, no profit unless you win a quid but I still like to get the money out of my account, cause I seem to just waste so much money on crap over the month,,,,,

keep tge advice coming, especially about the pension thing, do I need a platform for that, or do I need a broker??? Xxx
Crypto isn't for me because I don't know enough about it, I've a mate who's invested in it, he even takes it as payment for the retail side of his business. I'll text you over his number if you're interested, after I've run it passed him first. Have the teapot full and a box of fags handy though... when I spoke to him about it he fried my brain.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Hargreaves have some straightforward info about pensions:

You would most likely be looking at a Self Invested Personal Pension (SIPP). Don't be deterred because it's called self-invested - it's all reasonably straightforward when you get your head around it.

There's a bit of an admin process to go through to set up a pension with any platform, but again it's nothing you couldn't handle easily.

Once set up you then decide if you want to put a managed fund in it, or a tracker (sometimes referred to as passive or robo investing). The tracker could follow the UK FTSE 100; or perhaps the FTSE All Share index, which reflects the performance of all the shares including medium and small size companies on the main UK stockmarket, as well as the big ones in the top 100. I've always favoured the 'All Share', but either could be good.

I'd suggest a managed fund or tracker fund are the best two options to consider initially, because buying individual company shares does really require a significant amount of research.

So, for example, here's the UK FTSE All Share Index tracker I use (among other investments). I'm quite a fan of Legal & General funds because they offer excellent value and I think they are the biggest UK investment company.

https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-dis...gal-and-general-uk-index-class-c-accumulation

If you fancy a tracker that follows stock markets around the world, you could do worse than the L&G International Index Trust (we've got a bit in that one too ;) )

And for general info on trackers:

https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/help-choosing-funds/shortlists

Whatever you choose to put in your pension, you can add more whenever you want (provided you don't go over the maximum amounts allowed by HMRC - which is no more than your earnings, and up to £40k per year). Explained here:

Don't want to overload you with info, but hope some of the above might provide useful pointers... :giggle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Also,,, I’m thinking of starting a YouTube Chanel,, I have no idea how to start a subject or title, no idea how to edit videos etc, no idea about any of it really ( yet) but it def is something I’m interested in,,, I think it would be good fun!! I realise I’m getting a bit old maybe, but there’s still a bit of life in the old dog yet! Any suggestions,, name of the Chanel etc, subject? Whatever,,,,, and anyone with any experience of the system, editing , posting etc,,, all info gratefully accepted!! Xxxx

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I haven't a clue about setting up a youTube channel. :LOL:

I'm sure somebody will be along with advice soon...

How about: Master Builder Ian's Tricks of the Trade for a title? ;)

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Some of those YouTube channel are filmed on a camera, others have a film crew and production team. There must be money in it they would not do it otherwise

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Glad to see you are up and running, like the old Ian, don't get bogged down with this investing lark, keep it in pensions or something you can see and enjoy while it's still making a bob or two. (y) (y) (y)
What are pensions, if not investments? :unsure:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Pensions are mostly gaurenteed returns, investments can go down the pan.
Simples.
Actually I don't think so, unless a company or public service 'defined benefit' scheme, which I assume wouldn't apply in this case.

It sounds as though you might mean an annuity, providing an income for life?

Which, unless you have a spare £50k, or maybe £100k or so in your back pocket to buy one, then you'd use the fruits of your invested pension to buy it.

But given what poor value they are at the moment, probably not the best way to secure an income.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Actually I don't think so.

It sounds as though you might mean an annuity?

Which, unless you have a spare £50k, or maybe £100k or so in your back pocket to buy one, then you'd use the fruits of your invested pension to buy it.

But given what poor value they are at the moment, probably not the best way to secure an income.
Sorry , I said I wasn't going to get into this as Ian always seems to do the opposite of anything I advise, so go ahead and give him your advice, maybe he will do as you say.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
There are historic horror stories (to learn from) across most investment types, however, typically pension type investments align with most people’s risk appetite. Let’s be honest workplace pensions (NEST) provide transparent investment with a choice of plans - these are typically also seen as a long term investment.

Other investment types are also transparent (apps show your dosh and when you gain or lose) and can be managed for you for a few bob - depending on your tolerance for risk and desired gains they can be fruitful (I have a pal that uses a platform and portfolio which has paid his kids school fees each year without fail).

Horses for courses as they say…

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
There are actually thousands of different crypto currencies out there. I've been playing about with them the last 3 months or so and managed to cash a few out at the right time. But the last couple of weeks have seen them drop really low, seems to be about 5 days of falling before they start to rise again for a few days then they repeat.

I'm not an expert but it seems to me that if bitcoin is doing well, most of the others seem to follow. The thing is the Chinese are trying to reduce their energy usage so a lot of the crypto farms (huge warehouses full of computer bits and bobs) that gobble up electricity are being shut down. This means the value of bitcoin isn't increasing having a knock on effect on the rest.

So in theory, now is probably not a bad time to buy some bitcoin in the hope that other ways of mining the currency are found increasing the price in the future.

What I would point out is that new crypto currencies are always coming along. People want to buy in to it at it's beginning as it is cheap and they hope it will be the next bitcoin. This inevitably means people will invest big chunks in to it early and cash out soon after when the initial flurry of investment has peaked. Meaning if you haven't cashed out at the same time the price could drop with no reasonable expectations of growing.

There is definitely some dodgy goings on. I bought some dogecoin after Elon Musk talked it up. It shot up not long after and I cashed out. It has dropped way down now and seems to be pretty stagnant. He knows more than he is letting on there.

I like the crypto currency ripple. I have managed to get a bit out of that. I read about some US court case involving banks wanting to use is for some of their transactions. So if that case falls favourably for the banks, I reckon it could be a grower.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Also,,, I’m thinking of starting a YouTube Chanel,, I have no idea how to start a subject or title, no idea how to edit videos etc, no idea about any of it really ( yet) but it def is something I’m interested in,,, I think it would be good fun!! I realise I’m getting a bit old maybe, but there’s still a bit of life in the old dog yet! Any suggestions,, name of the Chanel etc, subject? Whatever,,,,, and anyone with any experience of the system, editing , posting etc,,, all info gratefully accepted!! Xxxx
I have my own YouTube channel and I’m a lot older than you Ian so it must be easy to do.
Don't think about making money from it unless you get mega amounts of views.
I just do it for fun and to share a few aires and sites with fellow motorhomers.
I upload my video footage from my dash cam to a laptop and then edit using iMovie which is built into Mac's. Many other editing apps are available or you can edit in YouTube.
It takes a bit of learning and experimentation but that’s part of the fun.
You really should have a go, you will be a star. (y)

Richard.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I have my own YouTube channel and I’m a lot older than you Ian so it must be easy to do.
Don't think about making money from it unless you get mega amounts of views.
I just do it for fun and to share a few aires and sites with fellow motorhomers.
I upload my video footage from my dash cam to a laptop and then edit using iMovie which is built into Mac's. Many other editing apps are available or you can edit in YouTube.
It takes a bit of learning and experimentation but that’s part of the fun.
You really should have a go, you will be a star. (y)

Richard.
Hi Richard, yes I may have left it a bit late, but to be honest it would be for fun, I’m sure there’s lots of builders and idiots like me on there, but it’s something I would like to do! I have a brand new GoPro, I bought it four years ago, never taken it out the box, havnt got a clue!! Lolololol ( true) xx

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Hi Ian
Good to hear your ok and got plenty of work and even saving some money for the future when you get old. :LOL: Keep safe and carry on.(y)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Richard, yes I may have left it a bit late, but to be honest it would be for fun, I’m sure there’s lots of builders and idiots like me on there, but it’s something I would like to do! I have a brand new GoPro, I bought it four years ago, never taken it out the box, havnt got a clue!! Lolololol ( true) xx
GoPro are excellent cameras and they have their own app called Quik. You can download it from the App Store to your iPhone and edit and save all your footage.
Get the cam battery charged and start having a play with it. Just take lots of shots of anything and everything and learn how it works. The great thing with modern cameras is that you can just delete the rubbish and keep the stuff you like.
Practice makes perfect!

Richard.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Watch a few TV programmes, take note of the editing. Cuts not too quick, not too long.
Keep your videos short... less than 10 minutes. If your topic requires longer, then part one/two etc.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
The thing is the Chinese are trying to reduce their energy usage so a lot of the crypto farms (huge warehouses full of computer bits and bobs) that gobble up electricity are being shut down. This means the value of bitcoin isn't increasing having a knock on effect on the rest
Sorry, that makes no sense.
If the mining is curtailed then that limits Bitcoin to those in existence so the price should rise.

However, there is no logic to the valuing of Bitcoin. It's pure speculation.
Buyers will talk down the value, sellers will talk it up.
If you bought at the beginning then you've won big, if you buy now, you could lose big time.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Sorry, that makes no sense.
If the mining is curtailed then that limits Bitcoin to those in existence so the price should rise.

However, there is no logic to the valuing of Bitcoin. It's pure speculation.
Buyers will talk down the value, sellers will talk it up.
If you bought at the beginning then you've won big, if you buy now, you could lose big time.
Taken from an article in Time:

"In late May, China’s State Council signaled a crackdown on cryptocurrency mining, causing bitcoin’s price to plummet by 30% and casting a pall across the entire industry, which collectively lost over $1 trillion in value."

I noticed it myself. As soon as this crackdown was announced, the price dropped.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Afternoon ianthebuilder good to see you posting again. Can’t help with the investments or YouTube but wish you best of luck with it.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
In my simple, uneducated mind, if you earn more money than you need, you're working too hard.

A rich man is not the one who has the most but the one who needs the least...

JJ :cool:
I have similar views, it’s not what is at the top of the pay slip , it’s what is left by the time I get to the bottom.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back