Let's hear it for Panel Van Conversions! (2 Viewers)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I keep bumping my head in PVCs!

Plus there's not enough room anywhere for any of the things we carry! The winterisation is non-existant, the tanks too small, the washroom to small and not enough berths.

However, for those folk smaller than us, with less kit, close to facilities and who only go out in the warmer months, the convenience of a a more compact PVC is ideal!:thumb:

Mine has a roof height of 6'1". so if you are tall you would bump your head.
Mine is fully winterised. -24C was the lowest temperature I recorded and I was snug. I have a 160Ltr fresh water tank and 120Ltr grey which is bigger than on most coach builts. My washroom has a full size domestic shower tray in it.. How much bigger does it need to be. I only need a 1 berth so that is how I built it. It also has 500AH of batteries, A genny, A twin tub washing machine and everything else I need for living in it fulltime.

If you can't manage it then it says more about your versatility I think than the limitations of the van:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
What van to have is,and always will be,a compromise-but please,if you have a panel van do be aware of the noise the door makes when being opened and closed.::bigsmile:
No probs on campsites,but on aires when only a mtr or so away from next van it can be infuriating !!

Mike.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Bought one!

Well, I'd just like to say thank you to all contributors to this thread. We went to the NEC show and ended up placing an order for a new van (and not the one we originally went to see!).

Just need to work out which colour...............:Smile: Any suggestions (and why)?

Cheers

Chox ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Mine has a roof height of 6'1". so if you are tall you would bump your head.
Mine is fully winterised. -24C was the lowest temperature I recorded and I was snug. I have a 160Ltr fresh water tank and 120Ltr grey which is bigger than on most coach builts. My washroom has a full size domestic shower tray in it.. How much bigger does it need to be. I only need a 1 berth so that is how I built it. It also has 500AH of batteries, A genny, A twin tub washing machine and everything else I need for living in it fulltime.

If you can't manage it then it says more about your versatility I think than the limitations of the van:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bloody hell Gromett! Are you as small as your plasticine avatar! How do you fit in with all that kit on board?!!::bigsmile:

The point I was making earlier was the fact that a standard PVC isn't going to have enough internal storage for 2 expensive mountain bikes, a canoe, 4x chairs, a table and on occasion a driveaway awning, all stored in the garage offering good security. Oh and 2 weimaraners the weight and volume of 12 year old kids!:Smile:

External tanks freeze at PERSISTENT sub zero temperatures, period!

Its horses for courses, and we live and let live! A PVC just wouldn't suit us, but we wish we had one when there's only one parking spot left at the supermarket!:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Well, I'd just like to say thank you to all contributors to this thread. We went to the NEC show and ended up placing an order for a new van (and not the one we originally went to see!).

Just need to work out which colour...............:Smile: Any suggestions (and why)?

Cheers

Chox ::bigsmile:

Green! Less visible when wild camping unless it snows!::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Green! Less visible when wild camping unless it snows!::bigsmile:

this covers both conditions... ::bigsmile:

article-1278342-099250CA000005DC-508_634x464.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Panel Van custom conversion

Self-Build Custom Conversion.:thumb:
In a past life I used to build/convert vans based along the lines of the Autosleeper Duetto (but better laid out)

Ideal for two long term with awning/safari room but tight with three growing kids.but managable,just.
I Started the southwest self build m/c/c free club swapping ideas and meeting at various venues.

Used to have my own roof moldings for grp.and didn`t mind lopping off and replacing old s/h roof,bracing van prior to replacment,and fitting occasional top (kids berth)or ample storage above drive compartment.Loads of storage under seats .Plastic Bofours window

Being familiar with boats you will know of Princess yatchs ,chap in the club was a chippy there so lots of Ideas were swappped .

We traveled all over Europe, parked where other larger vans could not.
Still had all usual home comforts H/C water, shower etc.
Vans were, usually built on the Transit 100/150 lwb chassis with bulletproof 2.5di diesel engine.35+mpg

So yes if you have the “know how” go the self-build route and tailor make it to your needs.
Kids have grown up, and we have grown older so C class classic transit took over, much modernized, and with new furnishings, 80w solar panel and 1000w sine wave inverter self-sufficient so not needed to plug in to mains. On recent trip to the Costa’s and back, accompanied by Pete & Jan (leftlegger) still 35+mpg and same length as a lwb Transit.
Modern vans ,full of electronic mystery computer codes that even the mechanic ,sorry technician cant understand them, VW`s very overpriced but ,that why I chose Fords. Ttfn jr :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back