Let's hear it for Panel Van Conversions! (1 Viewer)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you are going to the NEC, visit the Fiamma stand as there is an uinregistered new Autocruise PVC on there loaded with Fiamma extras and at a very special show price.

Peter

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a 2012 Autocruise Accent, similar to Itinerant's Pace, but we have the option of having a bed or a lounge in the rear (the Pace has a fixed bed).

We have loads of storage space in ours, in fact I haven't filled it all, even though I've put in the usual stuff plus 2 inflatable canoes, paddles, life jackets etc, 2 folding bikes (under the 'made up' bed) 3 dogs, lots of dog toys :RollEyes:, dog beds.

We started out in our 'motorhome' life with a Commer Autosleeper pop-top (lovely but toooooo small), then onto an ambulance which we converted, then onto an Elddis Autoquest 320D, Swift Suntor 590RS, Rapido 709F, Rimor Sailer 645TC, Chausson Flash 04 and now our Autocruise Accent PVC. I can see that we'll be keeping the Accent for a long time and wish we'd got a PVC ages ago.:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The fixed, cross bed in mine is 6'4" x 4'4" and there is loads of storage space underneath.

The lounge seats 4 in reasonable comfort.
The shower space is tight and for some strange reason the WC is high, so any one under 5'3" would need steps to get on it.
These things ain't cheap but they do hold their value well.
It is also rated at 3.5 Tonne.
Pete:Cool:
Hi Pete as I understand the vans are only 6 ft 4 ins wide (never measured one) but if my understanding is corect that is to the outside walls not inc the internal strenghening ribs which would knock another 2 ins off the internal width unless the converters build around them ? I would think they would stick an inch of insulation inbetween the ribs and board over them making 6 ft 2 ins wide at the most ? Have you measured it ? or just taken the bump they print ? would be interested to know the answers? simply because I have never measured one,but it would be high on my list to convert because the wider van gives that little bit more internal space :thumb: THAT IS WHY i DID THE AMBULANCE not too long :thumb:
I keep bumping my head in PVCs!

Plus there's not enough room anywhere for any of the things we carry! The winterisation is non-existant, the tanks too small, the washroom to small and not enough berths.

However, for those folk smaller than us, with less kit, close to facilities and who only go out in the warmer months, the convenience of a a more compact PVC is ideal!:thumb:
Hi John you need the ambulance for insulation ::bigsmile: Made up from 1.5 mm ali (CB are .5 mm ali)bonded to 5 mm ply bonded to 45 mm styrofoam bonded to 1.5 mm ali then 3 mm ply that I fitted :thumb: the floor is the same with an extra 5 mm ply layer bonded to the ali then the flooring we added,and 35 mm of spongy stuff underneath that is covered in underseal that they fitted :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Hi Pete as I understand the vans are only 6 ft 4 ins wide (never measured one) but if my understanding is corect that is to the outside walls not inc the internal strenghening ribs which would knock another 2 ins off the internal width unless the converters build around them ? I would think they would stick an inch of insulation inbetween the ribs and board over them making 6 ft 2 ins wide at the most ? Have you measured it ? or just taken the bump they print ? would be interested to know the answers? simply because I have never measured one,but it would be high on my list to convert because the wider van gives that little bit more internal space :thumb: THAT IS WHY i DID THE AMBULANCE not too long :thumb:

Hi John you need the ambulance for insulation ::bigsmile: Made up from 1.5 mm ali (CB are .5 mm ali)bonded to 5 mm ply bonded to 45 mm styrofoam bonded to 1.5 mm ali then 3 mm ply that I fitted :thumb: the floor is the same with an extra 5 mm ply layer bonded to the ali then the flooring we added,and 35 mm of spongy stuff underneath that is covered in underseal that they fitted :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

I measured it and it might be nearer to 6' 31/2" but definitely no less. The bumpf says 6'4'' X 4'5". The van is 7'5" external width with mirrors folded.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Cheers PETE I will go out of my way one day to measure a empty panel van,from what you are saying they must be 6 ft 6 ins internal :Smile:
terry

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Cheers PETE I will go out of my way one day to measure a empty panel van,from what you are saying they must be 6 ft 6 ins internal :Smile:
terry

The top of the bed is 3' from the floor which is the widest part of the inside of the van, including the internal wall panels.

I think Autocruise has done decent interior design job and has made the most of the interior space.

The finish is shoddy though, but about what you can expect from a Swift owned company.

Last edited:
D

DM14742

Deleted User
Obviously its each to their own but my PVC has the side settee conversion which pulls out to form a large double bed & takes all of 15 seconds to do it. It just seems like a much better use of space in a limited area than having a fixed bed. Mine also has the rear bathroom across the back which is a much rarer conversion layout, like an Autosleeper Topaz but bigger cos its in a Fiat Ducato LWB.
Quite honestly I'm looking for a newer model when I get my Lump sum but haven't seen anything to rival the internal layout so may just hold on to it.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Obviously its each to their own but my PVC has the side settee conversion which pulls out to form a large double bed & takes all of 15 seconds to do it. It just seems like a much better use of space in a limited area than having a fixed bed. Mine also has the rear bathroom across the back which is a much rarer conversion layout, like an Autosleeper Topaz but bigger cos its in a Fiat Ducato LWB.
Quite honestly I'm looking for a newer model when I get my Lump sum but haven't seen anything to rival the internal layout so may just hold on to it.

I guess it's about a fixed bed or not.
If you are happy making up your bed every night then you may be right.
I disregard all those that say it only takes a minute to get into a sleeping bag. If I want to camp, I'll buy a tent.
I want more than that, I want comfort during my long term periods in my van and a fixed bed gives me that.
When I've had a few bevvies I don't want to be making up my bed. I want to fall into it, in the warmth, with a contented smile on my face.

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Really enjoy looking at these van conversions, ingenuity of design knocks spots off the coachbuilt market, got to be safer too in the event of an accident. Looked at 'Rapido Van' this weekend with permanent double bed in the rear and somehow heaps of storage space, incredible!
Geoff.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Anyone who says a panel van is too small.

I live in one full time (2 and a half years now). This weekend I had two friends visit in their brand new demountable. It was too cold to sit outside.

Theirs only has a 2 seater dinette so we all went back to my van and were in there from 8pm till 1:30 am, watching youtube clips, listening to music, drinking beer and having a laugh..

If I can entertain 2 people in my van and live in it fulltime I don't think a PVC can be considered too small.

We are buying a pop up gazebo for the next meet though as 3 people smoking is such a small space was interesting :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I've been looking at PVC's for about 2 yrs now. Many great designs. Couple of things that i've noticed for those potentially looking to purchase:

1. Somehow the market has managed to keep the used prices for mass produced rear lounge vans artificially high, in comparison to other layouts, especially those that offer single beds. I would use the the Trigano Tribute 650(front lounge) 2009 as an example, available for just under 27k on Autotrader, a similar specced rear lounge van from a big manufacturer, The Auto cruise Rhythm 2009, rarely under 32k(cheapest is normally petrol). Both vans are popular, neither are especially well built inside, as evidenced by funsters. But still great vans. Why the disparity? Is it the dealers? Its quite frustrating. Some of the used prices climb very close to a brand new 2012 price. Bizarre.

2. A solution: An option is to get a rear conversion completed by a small company. I've recently been in touch with a convertor(excellent review in one of the magazines) up in the north west. He offered to source a 2nd hand van, with average milage. He would then convert it for approx 27k. Great layout, very well specced, plus the opportunity to be involved in the build process. Its an option i'm seriously considering.

Keep this thread running...pleeeeease. Lots of great info coming out from experienced owners. The odd picture of your conversion would be good as well :Smile:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
As an add-on, Ive also noticed that very few Rhythms/Warwick Duos appear on the market from private sellers. This may indicate their popularity with the owners, who are reluctant to sell, which creates a shortage in the market. Ultimately raising the price.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Another important plus factor is that panel vans by design don't leak. Unlike many sandwich constructed shells that require regular damp checks. Can be a problem with the second hand market.:Sad:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Strange that this thread has come up now as we have just changed (after much consideration and other reasons that I will not go into here) from our much loved Hymer B584 to an Autosleepers Sussex Duo

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I think more people, for whatever reason, are looking at PVC's as an alternative to coachbuilt vans and with the new layouts from UK makers, find that they tick a lot of boxes.

Not so long ago if you wanted a fixed bed unit, you had to buy a continental built one, and in RHD, they were very expensive. Now there are plenty of Brit. built ones about, not cheap, but not as pricey as the continental units.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
PVC, nah, leather every time, the look the smell the feel, the taste:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
something that is tactile
Leather-Corset-small.jpg

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Definitely 'horses for courses', but until you have looked around and asked the questions you don't know what there is out there and what people think of their 'rigs'.:Smile:

In the same way we ask ourselves 'why do they need so much space?' of bigger vans, they will be saying 'how can they live in that?' of our smaller vans!:RollEyes:

And, of course people have different needs and and conceptions of what will carry what.
A large 3.5 ton van will not carry as much as a small 3.5 ton van so payload is a consideration
Most (British) vans have full domestic cookers yet many people hardly cook!:Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Anyone who says a panel van is too small.

I live in one full time (2 and a half years now). This weekend I had two friends visit in their brand new demountable. It was too cold to sit outside.

Theirs only has a 2 seater dinette so we all went back to my van and were in there from 8pm till 1:30 am, watching youtube clips, listening to music, drinking beer and having a laugh..

If I can entertain 2 people in my van and live in it fulltime I don't think a PVC can be considered too small.

We are buying a pop up gazebo for the next meet though as 3 people smoking is such a small space was interesting :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
A lot different for one living in a van than 2 ::bigsmile: You are right about your mates in the van -Our mate has just jumped in with both feet and opted for a large 6 berth with the all inportant rear lounge but at only 5 ft it is too small for 2 singles and too small for 4 of us to sit comfortable :Doh:We ended up with us two at the back with wives sat at the dinette blocked off by the loo :Doh: Next night we all ended up in our van simply because we can all sit comfy and see each other plus get to the fridge/ drinks easy ::bigsmile: He now begining to realise he's bought the wrong layout ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
My wife said that purely in the interest of keeping the 'balance' on this forum you can have a picture me :Eeek: LOL

I want PVC but leather will do!

Link Removed

Chox

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had a PVC for a few years when I was on my tod and it was great, except for bed space (I am 6'4" and quite wide too). I always look round them at the shows as they make much better use of the space than larger vans. For me on my own they are brilliant but Shirleys requirements are for much more space so we have to compromise.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I have a PVC based on a Renault master long wheel base. The build quality is superb ( timberland). On our way back from a month in the south of France and last leg of the journey is 350k up to zeebrugge tomorrow. Van has been brilliant, we did not get on top of each other at all (careful!) returned 35 mpg on a run and 31mpg overall . Enjoyed it thoroughly. Went from 28degrees two days ago in port Grimaud to 8 in Reims this afternoon.

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
I do admit, I am a beginner ('van less too) but I have done a lot of research here and elsewhere on the 'net.

PVC's (oo err matron) get a short shrift I think. It would appear that many people consider them too small, not comfy enough and not 'serious' motorhomes.

I think this is a personal issue and really depends on so many variables. For the last few years our (me and Mrs Chox) holidays etc have been tent orientated, either in a tent, in a car with tent annexe or cycle camping. Now compared to tents even the smallest van (VW etc) is a positive luxury! so a 6mx2m 'van is heaven to us.

For us the need is to be able to tour, to voyage, to travel.........not spend a week on the same site. We like out of the way places and prefer wild camping to 'organised sites'. When covering long distances fuel consumption is important. When we get there we like to spend time out and about, cycling, surfing, walking etc. So a big lounge for example is a low priority.

When it comes to fixed bed.....yes please! we don't want to make up a bed every night.

We are intending to finish work in the near future and spend more time travelling so the choice of motorhome is now very important. High on the list of desirables are:

Modern
Fuel efficient
Reliable
Compact
Cozy
Independent
storage
Suitable for narrow lanes and small car parks
Huge support network (motor)
Berths for two with occasional need for four

All of this leads us to Panel Van Conversions.............(Fiat Ducato esp') what's not to like!?

I should add that for three years we lived and travelled full time on a sailing yacht so we are quite familiar with living in a small space, saving water and electricity etc.

For us the journey is just as important as the destination.

So come on all you 'van owners, let's hear some more positive comments about van conversions (no coach built remarks here :winky: ) !!

(hard hat and flak jacket on) :Smile:

Cheers

Chox

Hi we brought a Trigano Tribute 550 on a 55 plate last april and the wife loves it. Its based on a 2.3litre Fiat drives nice rides nice it as a front lounge and we hav sat 8 people in crowded though seats 4-5 people comfortable
we did get 40mpg from edale to fort william but the norm is 32-35.
The down side is we hav to make the bed up and it could do with more insulation in the doors. I"am going to do that myself the heater is good runs
on diesel cheaper than gas heats up quick [only when you shut the drivers window]
The new tribby has a fixed double bed.
A great little van but remember you do not get a rolls for the price of a mini.
We hav had no probs with parking or norrow lanes.
Happy hunting:thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I will never understand towing a car behind a motorhome. why not tow a caravan behind a suitable tow car. Must be cheaper and make more sense. I have a camper because its easy to park and manoeuvre, but put a car on the back and its not as handy as a car and caravan and only one road tax.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back