Lenny's Modding the new Gin Palace (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How long did it take you to move the steering wheel, gear knob and pedals. Thinking about doing that to my van so my wife can drive instead of me (y)
I would complain you have been sold a duff van, proper German vans always come with the steering wheel on the left & a driver's door.:LOL:

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It's nice to see that people are copying the Globecar owners with their 'meshing' and other mods.:D
No copying:D2 Been meaning to do it since I had the van then a couple of weeks ago my mate gave me a grill.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would complain you have been sold a duff van, proper German vans always come with the steering wheel on the left & a driver's door.:LOL:
It's nice to see that people are copying the Globecar owners with their 'meshing' and other mods.:D
No copying:D2 Been meaning to do it since I had the van then a couple of weeks ago my mate gave me a grill.
Our Carthago came with mesh already on ... ours must be superior to your Hymer Lenny, probably because its RHD! :rofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's to stop immigrants hopping under the bonnet at Calais. :ROFLMAO:
And there was me thinking it was a way of making chips easily by throwing peeled spuds at it! :LOL:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Stewart, what's up with the bonnet, I must have missed that thread
Hi Paul in direct warm sunshine this happens exactly where the hinge mounting blocks are bonded to the bonnet. As my van is now out of warranty Hymer have agreed to supply a new bonnet as a goodwill gesture been but won’t pay for it to be fitted that’s down to me, been waiting 6 months now
9477B574-E2FC-4BBD-9DEA-62A052FD209B.jpeg
0C4EA9BE-A1D6-45E9-93EB-22BB32E2EDBA.jpeg

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Wire on the microswitch on the washbasin tap went again last week must be the 4th time. So I decided to change to a pressure system and fit a Shurflo pump.

Easy straightforward job, bought the Shurflow Trail King 30 PSI, 10.6 Lt/min pump.

1st job, remove the submersible pump & fit a pickup tube, I fancied a nice bright red one, more a case of what I had around. The cable gland for the pump cable did up really tight with just a small hole left, so a squirt of silicon in it and tighten it up to seal.

P1010529.JPG

P1010531.JPG

Mounting the new pump looked like it was going to be a problem as the access under the floor was a bit tight and couldn't reach the mounting screws, then my genius streak kicked in and I mounted it on a piece of 18mm ply and I could put the mounting holes where I wanted to fix it to the floor.

P1010532.JPG

Next problem, with a GRP floor and limited access I was going to need pilot hoes to stand any chance of getting any fixings in.
Lidl to the rescue, you know those tool things you buy and they sit in the toolbox unused for years, well I got to use this one for the first time, a brilliant bit of kit.

P1010533.JPG

Plumbing was easy, as the outlet from the tank went into a Tee right by the tank and near the pump. The only problem was Hymer's plumbing is 10 mm and the new pump is 12 mm.
Replaced the Tee for a 10 x 12 x 10 mm T & a straight 12 x 10 mm reducer on the input.

P1010543.JPG

The pump switch in my van is inside at the top of the washroom cupboard, nice & easy I thought, disconnect the outlet cable from the switch & feed a new cable to the pump & then the microswitches would be isolated.

P1010544.JPG

Not quite the cable from the switch also fed the loo flush panel & the SOG fan. So connected another cable and will have to disconnect the microswitches at the taps (might not be possible in the shower).
For the negative ran a new cable straight back to the neg buss bar. I could have picked up the existing neg for the old pump but I wanted to keep volt drops to a minimum.

Pump in position.

P1010541.JPG

When I first fired it up had a fair bit of vibration when the pump is running on the shower tap, just vibration through the pipes. I loosened off the pump mountings a bit that improved it a bit. Then I remembered I hadn't run any water through the shower in the garage. After running the shower in the garage hardly any vibration on the shower tap so all good.

A fair bit noisier than the submersible but I won't be stripping down taps every 6 months.

If anyone is interested I will have for sale a new unused Reich Tandem pump (19Lt/min) that I carried as a spare, I probably keep the old pump as a backup.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Nice job Lenny, I could never understand why Hymer used micro switch taps and submersible pumps as we read on here that so many wires come away from the micro switches, and need re-soldering. Must be a total nightmare of a job if it happened on a shower mixer, with no rear access, but most seem to fail at the kitchen sink, more use I guess.
I know the Shureflow pump is noisier than a submersible one, sounds like a woodpecker caught in a cupboard, but so much simpler to have a pressure system, better shower pressure also.
It does look like it was awkward to fit the pump between the floors, glad you got around that nicely.
All the best.
LES

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Had both systems. I prefer the micro switch, no pulsing or whirring every hour, no adjusting the pressure switch.

It does sound very loud indeed!

That said, I haven’t had a switch fail yet so......

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Had both systems. I prefer the micro switch, no pulsing or whirring every hour, no adjusting the pressure switch.
Will only do that if you have a slight leak, set up probably shouldn't need adjusting unless it's one of those crappy Whale pressure switches they were a nightmare.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Will only do that if you have a slight leak, set up probably shouldn't need adjusting unless it's one of those crappy Whale pressure switches they were a nightmare.

Spot on!

I never touched one we had, changed the van and it was every week!

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Fitting an accumulator normaly reduces the knocking

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'm trying to work out where you put the new pump. Give me a clue please Lenny :unsure:
Under the floor right in front of the water tank.
Too much veno Phil should be obvious to you as you have the same van.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I can't get my delicate pinkies into that gap let alone a pump. You must have placed it via a different route:unsure:

btw -

You're right I've drunk rather a lot today it's been so hot here. That's because the sun shines on the righteous :p

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I can't get my delicate pinkies into that gap let alone a pump. You must have placed it via a different route:unsure:

btw -

You're right I've drunk rather a lot today it's been so hot here. That's because the sun shines on the righteous :p
You are in a state tonigh, height between the floors is 200mm, you must have very fat pinkies.
It is just behind the pipes in pic No. 5, right in front of the tank.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Did you mount the pump directly to the ply board or did you put it on any vibration damping? Did you put any damping under the ply?

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Did you mount the pump directly to the ply board or did you put it on any vibration damping? Did you put any damping under the ply?
Straight on the ply, I have some car soundproofing rubber I was going to mount it on but not enough room. Now it's in position I might be able to fiddle some rubber under the board.

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Straight on the ply, I have some car soundproofing rubber I was going to mount it on but not enough room.
Was just wondering as the water pump in our van is (as normal) noisyish and if mounting it on something might help. Might give it a try anyway.
You should have used 12mm ply with 6mm of damping underneath then you'd have been able to tell me if it improved the noise! (y) Some folk just don't have any thoughts for others!:rolleyes::p;):giggle:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

It does sound very loud indeed!

That said, I haven’t had a switch fail yet so......
Never had pulsing or whiring every hour in over 30 years of use with a wide range of pumps in boats and vans. The only time there is noise is when its in use! Now personally I think hearing it is great, its an imediate alarm to water running/leak.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back