Lenny's Modding the new Gin Palace (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Nice one, we are in York this weekend tomorrow evening until Monday, nice CL 7 quid a night. Hope it goes well.
We are having a underslung tank fitted next month and will need silver screens for the Concorde so that will be this years money spent.
Our rear air Goldschmitt will have to suffice:)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Nice one, we are in York this weekend tomorrow evening until Monday, nice CL 7 quid a night. Hope it goes well.
We are having a underslung tank fitted next month and will need silver screens for the Concorde so that will be this years money spent.
Our rear air Goldschmitt will have to suffice:)

http://www.minsterproducts.co.uk/Polar.htm

They will do one made to measure at their premises south of Sheffield.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
An update on the Air Suspension, if you don't already know from my last trip, the VB air has been a bit of a disaster, rear end had been sitting too low and I managed to do a fair bit of damage to the tank enclosures. VB unable to offer a solution so week before last SAP took it off and gave us a full refund, no quibble at all brilliant service.
Now having Goldschmitt air fitted in Belgium next month, was hoping to get it done at the beginning of our next trip but Goldschmitt let us down on delivery. Now going down to Spain then home via Belgium.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have finally got around to fitting a relay in line with the AES output from the solar regulator to the S+ on the fridge to stop the fridge switching to 12v when on EHU.

P1150724.JPG

That mains relay was getting a bit hot inside the box so it called for a few ventilation holes, appears to have done the trick.

P1150725.JPG

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
An update on the Air Suspension, if you don't already know from my last trip, the VB air has been a bit of a disaster, rear end had been sitting too low and I managed to do a fair bit of damage to the tank enclosures. VB unable to offer a solution so week before last SAP took it off and gave us a full refund, no quibble at all brilliant service.
Now having Goldschmitt air fitted in Belgium next month, was hoping to get it done at the beginning of our next trip but Goldschmitt let us down on delivery. Now going down to Spain then home via Belgium.

Is that full air or rear air, I am surprised that they couldn't do something about that, how do you know Goldschmitt will be any different?

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Is that full air or rear air, I am surprised that they couldn't do something about that, how do you know Goldschmitt will be any different?
Full air, surprising especially as Al-Ko own part of VB. SAP did get some spacers for the bellows that raised it 15-20mm but still sitting 50-60mm too low. Tyres were grounding on the wheel arches on twisty Spanish motorways.
On the DL the torsion bars are pre-tenstioned, when set to the same as on most vans the rear end is lower than it was with the air as SAP found out when they put the standard suspension back on.
Alan @Speve has Goldschmitt on the same van I've had a lengthy conversation with him and it's fine. Also Goldschmitt is a Hymer company.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Full air, surprising especially as Al-Ko own part of VB. SAP did get some spacers for the bellows that raised it 15-20mm but still sitting 50-60mm too low. Tyres were grounding on the wheel arches on twisty Spanish motorways.
On the DL the torsion bars are pre-tenstioned, when set to the same as on most vans the rear end is lower than it was with the air as SAP found out when they put the standard suspension back on.
Alan @Speve has Goldschmitt on the same van I've had a lengthy conversation with him and it's fine. Also Goldschmitt is a Hymer company.

Should be good then, we have Goldschmitt on ours, rear only though with separate compressor, works nice.

Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
God this is me all over too, with the same result. I did my house roof though.

From page 1 of this thread:
I absolutely hate paying people to jobs I can do myself, that is why the house is a wreck as I never get around to doing the jobs that need doing, did manage to re-roof with fibreglass my double garage roof and re-tile the hips last summer.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
An update on the Air Suspension.
Had the Goldschmitt fitted a few weeks ago in Belgium, why Belgium - £1500 cheaper than in the UK.
Came with all the bells & whistles as standard, Emergency inflation valves, Sport mode & Axle weight gauges. The rear end now sits at the correct height ride is similar to the VB I think the front end is slightly softer & has a bit more travel so better for leveling.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
An update on the Air Suspension.
Had the Goldschmitt fitted a few weeks ago in Belgium, why Belgium - £1500 cheaper than in the UK.
Came with all the bells & whistles as standard, Emergency inflation valves, Sport mode & Axle weight gauges. The rear end now sits at the correct height ride is similar to the VB I think the front end is slightly softer & has a bit more travel so better for leveling.

Worth the cost then?

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Already posted this on another thread but I thought I would update here as well.

We had a problem with the Truma gas regulator, although the regulator part was working OK the pin and indicator at the top of the regulator that operates the microswitch that tells the Remote C that it has changed cylinders was not working properly and we nearly ran out of gas because of it. Had the regulator changed under warranty, as the regulators are nearly 200 quid I decided to fit a couple of filters now they have come down in price.

Also got a couple for my mate when I popped over to fit them on his one year old Carthago I noticed regulator was doing the same (now changed under warranty), also sallylillian had the same problem.

The faulty valve, the indicator should go completely red when it changes cylinder.

P1150734.JPG

Filters fitted.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Very impressive all round. An off topic question from me Lenny. I am looking for a Fiat main dealer and I recall you used one near Worthing/Shorham - have you a recommendation thats used to a 4.5 ton 7.4m, not impressed by two I have be in touch with in the past.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Very impressive all round. An off topic question from me Lenny. I am looking for a Fiat main dealer and I recall you used one near Worthing/Shorham - have you a recommendation thats used to a 4.5 ton 7.4m, not impressed by two I have be in touch with in the past.
You are thinking of Barnes at Shoreham-by-Sea took my last van they - just the once as they are only 2 miles from home, they are into goods vehicles wouldn't go there again.
For a couple of recalls I have taken the current van to Eurovans at Crawley 30 miles away but worth it, they are excellent. I recommended them to Les (TinaL ) he was impressed as well.

If you want a good independent, Lancing Commercial are very good.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Update on Eurovans Crawley pandas & Lenny HB
Yes I took the van down to JCB Eurovans Crawley last year to have the turbo hose clip recall done, and they were very good, they did the van outside on the forecourt while I waited.
Noticed they were a main agent for VW at the time, with a couple of T6 campers in the showroom.
I have phoned them since as I wanted the brakes checked under warranty, but was told that their Fiat Approved engineer had left, and they were trying to recruit another one.
They also said that they could not fit my 7.4 mtr van on their ramps in the workshop to check the brakes, so dont think its worth calling them again.
I am now waiting to hear about how good the resolve is by a Reading based Fiat/Daf professional garage which is just off The M4 at Theale Reading, as that would be my closest. They are currently dealing with a funsters new van with a suspected blown head gasket which is still being investigated as far as I know.
Yes its proving difficult to find a Fiat pro workshop that will accept mohos, let alone A class ones it would seem, a call to Fiat Camper assist seems to be the best way of finding one, and it may be a long way from home.
Les

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
You are thinking of Barnes at Shoreham-by-Sea took my last van they - just the once as they are only 2 miles from home, they are into goods vehicles wouldn't go there again.
For a couple of recalls I have taken the current van to Eurovans at Crawley 30 miles away but worth it, they are excellent. I recommended them to Les (TinaL ) he was impressed as well.

If you want a good independent, Lancing Commercial are very good.
Thank you. I went to Barnes for an mot on my last A class - got there only to tell me they couldn’t get it on their ramps! Tried Eurovans before - parts department very good but the service people were very off. That was a few years ago now though. Thank you anyhow - just wanting to get the recall clip thing sorted this time.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Update on Eurovans Crawley pandas & Lenny HB
Yes I took the van down to JCB Eurovans Crawley last year to have the turbo hose clip recall done, and they were very good, they did the van outside on the forecourt while I waited.
Noticed they were a main agent for VW at the time, with a couple of T6 campers in the showroom.
I have phoned them since as I wanted the brakes checked under warranty, but was told that their Fiat Approved engineer had left, and they were trying to recruit another one.
They also said that they could not fit my 7.4 mtr van on their ramps in the workshop to check the brakes, so dont think its worth calling them again.
I am now waiting to hear about how good the resolve is by a Reading based Fiat/Daf professional garage which is just off The M4 at Theale Reading, as that would be my closest. They are currently dealing with a funsters new van with a suspected blown head gasket which is still being investigated as far as I know.
Yes its proving difficult to find a Fiat pro workshop that will accept mohos, let alone A class ones it would seem, a call to Fiat Camper assist seems to be the best way of finding one, and it may be a long way from home.
Les
Thank you also TinaL, see my response to Lenny.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
They have had my 7.5m van on the ramp, they only have one ramp that will take large vans.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
They have had my 7.5m van on the ramp, they only have one ramp that will take large vans.
Things must have changed Lenny HB as I can only repeat what they told me last time I called which would have been last October...no ramp big enough, no Fiat Engineer available, so had to take it back to dealers in Somerset to get it looked at.
Big hopes for HTC Fiat Prof at Theale Reading though, fingers crossed.
CONTACT US
Dealer:
HTC Reading
Address:
Station Road,
Theale,
Reading,
Berkshire,
RG7 4AG
Telephone:
01189 300900
Fax:
01189 323528
Email:
info@htc-uk.com

Les

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Had a bit of fun getting the camera cables through the van, had to chop the ends off and reconnect, that was fun soldering up 8 small screened leads in the drivers footwell. To cap it all afterwards found the Hymer installed cables, they were for Waco Cameras so probably still easier to put my own in rather than convert theirs certainly wouldn't want to pay the price of Waco cameras.:D
Also got the cables through for the telly to the head unit.

Rather a lot of cables to sort out.

View attachment 156070

View attachment 156071

How long did it take you to move the steering wheel, gear knob and pedals. Thinking about doing that to my van so my wife can drive instead of me (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back