Leisure battery central lock (1 Viewer)

Bontasha

Free Member
Sep 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Custom
Hi We got a 2nd hand van recently, not used it yet except for showing it off and cleaning it. We noticed that the central locking doesn't work sometimes, especially to lock once we've been in doing some cleaning.
We have to press a reset button on a panel then it works OK.
Now we have a new problem or may be connected The leisure battery seems to be flat. The battery had been left on with nothing in the van switched on for a day.
So, is the locking connected? Any ideas why the battery would drain? Is it normal for it to run down in a few hours? Anything else we should check or just buy a new battery?
Thanks

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Depends on a few variables, like how charged was the battery yesterday and what the quiescent drain is. Our drain is 200ma with nothing switched on so should last days from fully charged.

The central locking thing sounds unconnected because that's powered by the starter battery.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Being a 'new to you' van you don't know the history of the battery.... Discharging in just one day with no use there's every chance its had it and needs replacing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Is it the central locking of the cab doors or the cab door or both?
The cab door may have a back up battery. Mine is located behind a panel in the door and has 2 x square batteries.
This enables the cab door to operate whilst the leisure battery is flat.
If it's the cab doors, it could be the key fob that's faulty or that the battery within the key fob needs changing.
Failing that, it could be a blown fuse, faulty solenoid or damaged wiring to the lock.
I had something similar on my car and it turned out it was the battery in the remote key fob that needed changing.
With regards to the battery drain, either the battery is flat and beyond keeping its charge or you have something that's on that you're not aware that it's on which is draining it down.

OP
OP
Bontasha

Bontasha

Free Member
Sep 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Custom
Being a 'new to you' van you don't know the history of the battery.... Discharging in just one day with no use there's every chance its had it and needs replacing.
I was thinking that, bit of a pain but not unexpected given the mess the van was in.

OP
OP
Bontasha

Bontasha

Free Member
Sep 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Custom
Is it the central locking of the cab doors or the cab door or both?
The cab door may have a back up battery. Mine is located behind a panel in the door and has 2 x square batteries.
This enables the cab door to operate whilst the leisure battery is flat.
If it's the cab doors, it could be the key fob that's faulty or that the battery within the key fob needs changing.
Failing that, it could be a blown fuse, faulty solenoid or damaged wiring to the lock.
I had something similar on my car and it turned out it was the battery in the remote key fob that needed changing.
With regards to the battery drain, either the battery is flat and beyond keeping its charge or you have something that's on that you're not aware that it's on which is draining it down.
Thanks, there is a button at the drivers side too. So I can unlock driver side with key then press the button and the whole van unlocks. I thought it was the key fob but it seems strange that once I press the van button the fob works.
Maybe I should take the van somewhere for an electric check...if there is such a place!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
What area do you live in?
Someone on here will know someone near you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back