Legality of UK Old paper licence (non photo) in France ,Italy and Spain (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Hi, I don't if anyone can help with this as I have been told that a new photo style license is required in the above countries and that if you present the old type of license you can be immediately stopped from proceeding
I have looked at the UK gov websites and it is not clear to me if this is correct.
Help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
pelican
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Thank you for the reply.
Unfortunately it is not clear if they mean the licence with the photo or the old style
I tried phoning but cannot get further than press this or that button

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You are OK with either the Pink or the Pink & Green ones that have EU on them. The original green ones may cause you a problem in some countries.

nobby

Free Member
Jun 12, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I used my paper one that I’ve had since the early 90s to hire a car last summer

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I understood that the requirement was to be in possession of acceptable photo identification to support a non-photo licence. I have a photo licence, but my wife never bothered to update - however, as she will always be carrying a passport while we are travelling abroad, I think she's covered.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you also have your passport with you there shouldn't be a problem. I have hired cars on the continent recently without so much as a question.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I only have the old paper licence and although I have not been required to show it, I have used it to hire cars without question.
This is gov website, the paper licence is a valid licence.
https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad
Exactly the same for us. We have the old pink paper licences, without photos. Not been stopped on the road, but hired up to half a dozen cars a year on the continent. No problems.

OP
OP
pelican
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Hi
Thank you all for your input.
We won't be hiring cars just using the van.
I have taken a closer look at our licences and they state UK driving licence European Communities Model
Anyone know if this is OK
so frustrating not being able to speak to DVLC

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi
Thank you all for your input.
We won't be hiring cars just using the van.
I have taken a closer look at our licences and they state UK driving licence European Communities Model
Anyone know if this is OK
so frustrating not being able to speak to DVLC
No problem with the pink paper licences - we have them as we've not moved since the new ones came out and had no reason to get them for anything else. We've been stopped at border etc crossings abroad and had out papers checked and never had any problems with them at all.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I tried phoning but cannot get further than press this or that button
You MAY find by not pressing any number you automatically get put through to a switchboard.
I've done this a few times with different organisations.

Alex Black

Free Member
Dec 20, 2016
Fife scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built. Knaus.
Exp
Scince 2010
I had a small accident last year in Spain and my paper item was sufficient to satisfy the traffic cops who delt with the 'bump' ... ;-( I managed to rip the bumper off a parked car by totally forgetting about the 'tail swing' It was my scooter rack, which is almost the same width as the van, that did the damage.. No problem with the van.. Heh.. Onwards and upwards... Just before I lost my wallet... Paper was fine it that case. Feb 2017... The cops were brand new I have to say.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
You MAY find by not pressing any number you automatically get put through to a switchboard.
I've done this a few times with different organisations.

Or holding "9" down for several seconds,? I've done that and the "voice" comes back and says "hold for our next operator"

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
You are OK with either the Pink or the Pink & Green ones that have EU on them. The original green ones may cause you a problem in some countries.

I have one which is pink and geen but its title is

Counterpart Driving Licence

And underneath that heading in small print is written

'The photocard and countrpart should be kept togetheer. Both must be produced when required'

I know that it is no longer required to keep the Counterpart paper licence, but I doubt whether it would suffice on its own with that wording.

So I wonder whether those saying a paper licence is OK are writing about what I have described.

My application for licence renewal is currently in the DVLA and I was reluctant to return the old licence as the MH is on the continent and they said OK just write a covering letter to explain why you are not returning the old licence and that will be OK.

Geoff

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Every time I see a thread on licensing I always think to my self I must get one :doh:

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Why not renew it anyway for peace of mind - it's only £30, not a great deal in the scheme of things.
:)

OP
OP
pelican
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
THIRTY QUID