LED COB G4 bulbs (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our awning light uses an old fashioned 10w G4 bulb so I've been looking for an LED version on ebay. Has anybody got any experience of these?

I'll have to measure whether they will physically fit of course. I don't have the charger on at night so they shouldn't get too hot.
Thanks
Screenshot_20171027-145014.png

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I bought one from China to test.
It worked for about two minutes.
I asked for a replacement - they sent one.
That worked for about two minutes.
If you're going to try them - get them from somewhere it's easy to get replacements / refunds.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Go for a higher wattage in cool (daylight) white. Warm white is noticeably dimmer & not needed for an awning light. I'd go for these:

I've had occasional failures of Chinese-bought LEDs - they're cheap enough to buy some as spares when you order.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've got some similar ones. They are very bright and use next to no power. Good broad spread of light too.

The issue I had with them was that they only like 12v. They don't seem to mind too much when I'm hooked up and the transformer is trickling 13v into the battery. However, when we're off-grid and the solar panel is blatting 14v through the system, the bulbs start flickering then die after about an hour. Only an issue in the bathroom as it's the only place I'll use lights while it's bright sunshine outside.

Next time I'll get automotive grade ones that can cope with a wider range of input voltage.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
When I converted my last motorhome to g4 led lights I found I needed to add small circuit boards to each fitting to regulate the voltage to exactly 12v. They were very voltage sensitive.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I bought one from China to test.
It worked for about two minutes.
I asked for a replacement - they sent one.
That worked for about two minutes.
If you're going to try them - get them from somewhere it's easy to get replacements / refunds.

On the other hand I have yet to replace one of the eBay LEDs I have bought despite having bought spares. Yes some are polarity sensitive but I have the wit to turn them round.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
When I converted my last motorhome to g4 led lights I found I needed to add small circuit boards to each fitting to regulate the voltage to exactly 12v. They were very voltage sensitive.

I have not had to do anything even after six months living in the van on ehu. Only time I had to change a power supply for LEDs was a fitting in the house that used G4S. The current draw was so small the old PSU would not work and I had to fit an led one.

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
I have not had to do anything even after six months living in the van on ehu. Only time I had to change a power supply for LEDs was a fitting in the house that used G4S. The current draw was so small the old PSU would not work and I had to fit an led one.

It was the same when I replaced mine. Old bulbs out, new led's in...no problems until the 'van was sold.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Yes some are polarity sensitive but I have the wit to turn them round.
For the avoidance of doubt, I have LEDs throughout the van, car and home - it's just that that particular type, from one particular Chinese vendor, caused me problems (y)

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I think the ones I linked to only throw light out of one side. The light fitting has got a reflector at 45° above and below to the bulb so I'm thinking of removing the reflector and putting 2 of the LED ones in new holders facing straight forwards. I'm sure I've got some regulators too so I'll limit them to 12v.

I've tested the little COB panels before and they get very hot on 13v :eek:

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
Be a little wary where you get your LED from. Some on Ebay give off so much RF radiation when operating they can whipe out your TV or Phone signals. Also get those which are advertised 12/24 volt as these include the required regulator. If you get with one click (Amazon) their return and refund system is second to none. Its worth paying that little bit more for LEDs that will outlive you.
C.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Be a little wary where you get your LED from. Some on Ebay give off so much RF radiation when operating they can whipe out your TV or Phone signals. Also get those which are advertised 12/24 volt as these include the required regulator. If you get with one click (Amazon) their return and refund system is second to none. Its worth paying that little bit more for LEDs that will outlive you.
C.
Yes I noticed some buck converter regulators work at 1MHZ. Is there any need for that? The ones I've got are 900hz so will be ok, there's no regulators on the leds I ordered.
Good point though (y)

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Well they've arrived :love: been bench testing them tonight, I'm impressed, they look and feel well made and the COB panel emits light from both sides. I first tested them at 12.6v and the current was 128ma so they're 1.5w not 2w and were at 70°c.
I next upped the voltage to 14v and expected the temperature and current to soar.. but no the temperature and brightness remained the same and the current dropped, doing the maths again the wattage was still 1.5 so they have voltage regulators on board. Tested again at 10v and the wattage remained at 1.5

After all that I looked at the packaging they came in and it says AC/DC 10-20V :ROFLMAO: if all else fails, read the instructions.
They're plenty bright enough for the awning light as we don't want to light the site up and we prefer warm white.
Anyway recommended (y)

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I got two sets of LEDs for the van 5 years ago direct from China, they were a long while coming .They were 80p each ,not lost one yet .lol

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
20171117_110105.jpg

They put more light out compared to the 10w filament.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back