Learn to crochet? (2 Viewers)

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Sus3v I had never heard of virus shawls so a search on t'internet and I've found a whole new world of crochet. (y)(y)(y) Lots of videos on virus shawls and shell patterns so I guess I don't need to buy a pattern.

I was thinking of making a bedjacket but it appears that is soooo old-fashioned. Even on Ravelry the patterns seem to date from the 1940s. I was just doing tension samples for a couple of 4ply patterns I have but maybe a virus shawl with my cone of pale pink, lemon and mauve would fit the bill.

I don't have enough bright colours to make a mandala coverlet but I do find them fascinating.

I'm in quarantine for making octopus so to keep my hands busy I am making garden cushions from old curtains to go in our gazebo - roll on summer.
if I virus again it will be with a different colour way. I do like the one I’m using, but it is dark separate colours (separate balls) might suit 5he pattern. I can get a bit ocd about where and how colours change.
it grows quickly too ?
instead of bed jacket, (my mother made herself a lacy one in apricot with ribbon ties at the neck mid 50’s) perhaps a shallower shawl rather than a triangle - so you don’t sit on the end bit.
next project will be more little things and a cushion cover (or bag) with a simple landscape - the thinking-about-it stage for this will be fairly long ?

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Wouldn't a loose cardigan but without the buttons do a similar job? I wear an old cardi when reading in bed on cold nights!!
I have an elderly redundant but warm baby shawl - but I find it annoying when I sit on the pointy end ?

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
if I virus again it will be with a different colour way. I do like the one I’m using, but it is dark separate colours (separate balls) might suit 5he pattern. I can get a bit ocd about where and how colours change.
it grows quickly too ?
instead of bed jacket, (my mother made herself a lacy one in apricot with ribbon ties at the neck mid 50’s) perhaps a shallower shawl rather than a triangle - so you don’t sit on the end bit.
next project will be more little things and a cushion cover (or bag) with a simple landscape - the thinking-about-it stage for this will be fairly long ?
I looked at the virus pattern as well and really like the idea of a shawl, but as my next project is just sitting there and ready to go I'm not buying any more yarn until that one is nearly done, I'm in a sewing up frenzy to get my jacket done - mine is a sort of bed jacket as that's what I was looking for too so that I could sit up in bed in the van and knit, crochet, read etc without getting chilly on my shoulders and its short enough that I won't sit on it - its never going to be seen outside the van so I don't really care what it looks like!

The worst thing was the 208 needed squares, but I'm glad that I've pushed on as I have 1 sleeve left to sew up, 1.5 sleeve gussets and then the final sewing up and border for the garment.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

The worst thing was the 208 needed squares, but I'm glad that I've pushed on as I have 1 sleeve left to sew up, 1.5 sleeve gussets and then the final sewing up and border for the garment.

That is a lovely pattern but I am not sure I would be able to do so many squares alike ......

I have made shrugs to put round myself when it is a bit chilly and they work well.

Lots of different ones here:

<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
I have an addiction - just like Alcoholics Anonymous.

Since making the baby clothes for my granddaughter's baby, I have been collecting Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino and regularly seek out offers on ebay. I lost one bid yesterday but gained another so made up the order with Sirdar yarn to gain an advantage on postage. I then lose a night's sleep feeling guilty about buying more yarn - which I don't have a hope of knitting up in my lifetime - and facing the inquisition by husband.

There is a substitute yarn by Patons with bamboo which is cheaper than the £3 - £4 a ball I am paying. Can anyone help me sort out my addition?

I start my browsing my looking at the Morning Funsters thread, Learn to Crochet, progress to Octopus for a preemie website and check e-mails. How can I cure myself from 'just looking' at ebay?

Seriously, Auntie Pam

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

Since making the baby clothes for my granddaughter's baby, I have been collecting Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino and regularly seek out offers on ebay. I lost one bid yesterday but gained another so made up the order with Sirdar yarn to gain an advantage on postage. I then lose a night's sleep feeling guilty about buying more yarn - which I don't have a hope of knitting up in my lifetime - and facing the inquisition by husband.

There is a substitute yarn by Patons with bamboo which is cheaper than the £3 - £4 a ball I am paying. Can anyone help me sort out my addition?

I start my browsing my looking at the Morning Funsters thread, Learn to Crochet, progress to Octopus for a preemie website and check e-mails. How can I cure myself from 'just looking' at ebay?

Seriously, Auntie Pam
Hope you are feeling better Auntie Pam!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Made Malcolm the Dog to keep Knitted Kitty company-
1501B688-D41F-47D7-A25F-5BAA6FCA8158.jpeg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Can anyone help me sort out my addition?

I am very sorry Auntie Pam but it is a lifelong condition that all around you have to make allowances for. There is no cure.

I also have boxes of yarn that I may never get round to using. Going to Harrogate and being a volunteer was a bad thing in that the volunteers were given yarn and I just couldn't leave it behind - that would have been so rude after all.

Puddleduck
Sweater looks fantastic, is it knit or crochet & in the round-no seams?

It's knit and in the round - my last few sweaters have been in the round and knitted neck down. I do the neck, the yoke and a couple of inches down the body then put "stoppers" on the end of the circular needle. Then I do both sleeves to and including the cuffs, then back to the body. That way I can finish when I run out of yarn - or know I need to buy more yarn. lol.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750

Seriously, Auntie Pam
Sorry I can’t help you as I am a fellow sufferer

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019

Seriously, Auntie Pam
I have a feeling that most of us could join you in your addiction in one way or another!

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
The jacket is finally finished!
jacket front.jpg

jacket back.jpg

and just to prove how men "never listen", when shown it Mark said "isn't it a bit short?" and I had to point out (yet again) that its for when sitting on the bed in Hymie in the evening, when I have my nightie on and duvet pulled up to my waist, to keep my shoulders warm and short enough so I don't sit on it!

As you'll see I didn't put the "proper" 3 rounds in for the squares but rather 1 round and 2 rounds plus the edge colour or 2 rounds and 1 round plus edge, or even just 3 rounds and the edge - I decided that I liked a slightly more random look and the squares are truly random in colour placement. I had a big bag of squares and was making them in strips of the right number of squares for the piece worked on, so I just put my hand in the bag and took one out, didn't look in advance, a bit like taking raffle tickets from the tin for a prize draw.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
View attachment 363612
View attachment 363613

and just to prove how men "never listen", when shown it Mark said "isn't it a bit short?" and I had to point out (yet again) that its for when sitting on the bed in Hymie in the evening, when I have my nightie on and duvet pulled up to my waist, to keep my shoulders warm and short enough so I don't sit on it!

As you'll see I didn't put the "proper" 3 rounds in for the squares but rather 1 round and 2 rounds plus the edge colour or 2 rounds and 1 round plus edge, or even just 3 rounds and the edge - I decided that I liked a slightly more random look and the squares are truly random in colour placement. I had a big bag of squares and was making them in strips of the right number of squares for the piece worked on, so I just put my hand in the bag and took one out, didn't look in advance, a bit like taking raffle tickets from the tin for a prize draw.
Its beautiful well done

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
knee warmer Blanket done!
Ran out of wool three stitches away from the end. Aaaargh!
so I compensated with a bit of wool doubled up.
might have to find something that fits better in terms of colour
and there are two errors (I noticed). More aaaargh!
other than that, I am pleased.
now... fingerless mitts?
i feel a Pinterest moment coming on...
ravelry - love crafts - others - suggestions welcome
??‍♀️

Attachments

• 179E2FA0-6017-49EF-8676-403C4A6A7792.jpeg
    179E2FA0-6017-49EF-8676-403C4A6A7792.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 20

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
knee warmer Blanket done!
Ran out of wool three stitches away from the end. Aaaargh!
so I compensated with a bit of wool doubled up.
might have to find something that fits better in terms of colour
and there are two errors (I noticed). More aaaargh!
other than that, I am pleased.
now... fingerless mitts?
i feel a Pinterest moment coming on...
ravelry - love crafts - others - suggestions welcome
??‍♀️
Love the colours myself, I'd like to make a knee warmer but would rather make something more rectangular, luckily I have everything for the next project so I can have a think about what to do after that for a while.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Love the colours myself, I'd like to make a knee warmer but would rather make something more rectangular, luckily I have everything for the next project so I can have a think about what to do after that for a while.
I shall think about the next project but probably spend much effort trying not to start something pointless in the meanwhile. ??‍♀️ Now - let Ken cook while I inspect the internet for ideas

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Mark and Mindy Sus3v love both of those .... very well done!!!!

I am doing row after the last bobble row on my squares but have decided to unhook the completed square to that point as well so I can make some adjustments to the colour of the long stitches.

I like the pattern so much (even though it is a challenge) I think I will make my guest room bed covers in similar blocks, maybe make them into octagons and use the crocodile flower squares as fillers between the octagons.

I need to get Dad's lapghan finished first though.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
View attachment 363612
View attachment 363613

It looks great! Definitely worthy of inside and outside the Motorhome.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I did unhook the last few rounds of the completed block and it already looks better :) I think I have 9 rounds to do on 9 blocks and 11 rounds on 3 blocks. Making them as a batch is certainly faster and easier than one at a time :) but I wouldn't do batches of more than 12 or 15 as that would get sooooooooo boring! As the rounds get longer I am doing two rounds at a time on each block to mean I get chance to vary the stitches a bit.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hello all!
Sorry to divert here, it's still about crochet but only the word! :blush:
Can you use it as a verb as in "she knits or crochets a lot of beautiful things? Or would you say say she knits and does crochet to create/make beautiful things?

Thank you for your help

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hello all!
Sorry to divert here, it's still about crochet but only the word! :blush:
Can you use it as a verb as in "she knits or crochets a lot of beautiful things? Or would you say say she knits and does crochet to create/make beautiful things?

Thank you for your help

Yes, crochet‘s been used as verb for as long as I can remember. I can knit but I can’t crochet ( no matter how much I try)
Friend sent me some card making bits and I had tickets for Craft4Crafters at Westpoint, where I bought lots of different card blanks.
EADA6458-515C-4F9F-8284-5A99B19582AC.jpeg
1F350DA5-DECD-4840-8531-0F4F4E5A52EA.jpeg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
All the blocks are crochet complete for my Dad's lapghan and 3 of them are blocked and stretched. :)

We are off to our son's tomorrow so Dad's lapghan will now have to wait for further blocking and assembly but I am taking the makings for my twin bed coverlets. I've decided to do the same pattern as Dad's (with my own variations of course) but with less colours, I was going to say more subtle but there is nothing subtle about white and orange!!!! I am not sure if I will square off the octagons or make a feature of them and add squares to the corners.

The finished coverlets need to be 60 x 90 inches and the blocks are 16 inches square (or I'd do a 15 inch across octagon) so not many blocks to do even for two covers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back