LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
How heavy will it be for buttoning together? You might have to reinforce the holes somehow to avoid them stretching if there is a lot hanging over the edge when buttoned together.

I might put a cloth reinforcement under the edges where it hangs down over the edge of the bed. The buttons and button holes can be made in that if I go that way. It's in acrylic and not much of a "hang down" to try to mitigate the stretch. I may even decide to line the whole lot!!!!!

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
We're parked in an aire under the red arrow tonight and mildly interestingly there's a place called Crochet in the blue circle!
20200130_192726.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I took one of my Paradise Squares to show my Mum - my Dad grabbed it and decided it was his, stroking and poking his fingers under the petals. He even used it as a coaster so I have left that one with him :) I am glad I could do something that had meaning for him but it was so sad to see him like a child with a Linus blanket.

(for those who don't know my Dad is in the later stages of complex dementia and has good and bad days - yesterday was quite good as he'd had a shower, clean clothes neck to toes and he recognised me but couldn't remember my name - but that's okay). I'd bought sandwiches for us all at M&S on Newcastle station as I change trains there. Dad said there was too much for him to eat (I cut all into dainty size bites and placed selections on individual plates to stop him fingering and opening every sandwich) but he ate everything on his plate and took some of my Mum's when he thought she didn't see. His appetite has been awful and he has lost a lot of weight so I was pleased to see him eat and enjoy. Mum has lost some of the joy on cooking as it is not appreciated and so even when tasty it doesn't always look attractive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
no, and people passing and then trying to engage me in a conversation is a bit of a nightmare:rollingeyes:
Just count loudly at whoever tries to interrupt you

I took one of my Paradise Squares to show my Mum - my Dad grabbed it and decided it was his, stroking and poking his fingers under the petals. He even used it as a coaster so I have left that one with him :) I am glad I could do something that had meaning for him but it was so sad to see him like a child with a Linus blanket.
Have you thought about making him a fiddle blanket?
Glad to read Dad managed to eat the sandwiches. Would he enjoy fortified milkshakes when his appetite isn't great?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Have you thought about making him a fiddle blanket?
Glad to read Dad managed to eat the sandwiches. Would he enjoy fortified milkshakes when his appetite isn't great?

I'd just said to Martin that I should make him a lap blanket for his birthday. He does seem to like bright colours. I have a pattern for "every stitch under the hook" or I may try Tunisian Crochet which I've never done. ........ also I will get bright variegated yarn to save a lot of end weaving. It looks like the Paradise Coverlets will be taking a back seat.

He doesn't like milk :( not even in tea. I have made him smoothies and added things like spironella. He really doesn't like anything new which given his condition isn't surprising.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I'd just said to Martin that I should make him a lap blanket for his birthday. He does seem to like bright colours. I have a pattern for "every stitch under the hook" or I may try Tunisian Crochet which I've never done. ........ also I will get bright variegated yarn to save a lot of end weaving. It looks like the Paradise Coverlets will be taking a back seat.

He doesn't like milk :( not even in tea. I have made him smoothies and added things like spironella. He really doesn't like anything new which given his condition isn't surprising.
It's a shame he won't try different things. Although that's true for many elderly people, with or without medical /mental issues!
Can you get him referred to a dietician /will the gp prescribe him fortified drinks? If he will drink fruit juices, Fortsip comes as fruit juice flavours too.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
So my plan is to finish the sweater I am making for myself then I will look for / order / buy the yarn for Dad's blanket. When I am waiting for that to arrive if I buy online I will make Paradise Squares.

I don't know if I should do Dad's blanket in DK or 4ply. I'm thinking DK might be heavy but there is more choice of colour in DK.

The sweater I am making is in Dream Catcher which is nice to work with but expensive so similar colours but cheaper would be good :)

EDIT: I'm going to make the Pondoland Square for Dad, lots of texture and I can use acrylic yarn (easy to wash) and the squares are big so not so many to make. https://stylesidea.com/pondoland-crochet-square/

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
The difference between blocked and unblocked squares:

View attachment 357918
View attachment 357919 unblocked

View attachment 357920 blocking in progress

View attachment 357921 blocking process complete

I may stitch down the petals but I'm not sure yet. I'm just making the squares to try out the pattern and to use up the baby yarn - it will make a small Linus blanket. :)

EDIT: I think my "travelling project" will be enough of these squares to make two single bedcovers for our guest room. The colours will be orange, white, electric blue and possibly dark green or brown for the centre. I'm not sure if the petals should be white or orange (or different shades of red through orange to yellow if I can get variegated yarn in those colours). I usually only have one project on the go at a time but know I will get bored if I have to make so many squares. I have not yet calculated how many I will need - or how much yarn.
I think I have just completed square number one (from a stack of yarn my daughter was keen to be rid of) which will be made into - erm - something like a knee warmer for me in the van. Suddenly blocking looks like a plan... even if I have just smoothed it a lot. The flower bit was alarmingly bibbly bobbly until I did the outside rows.

Attachments

• D7997AEA-0FD7-4647-AF57-FA0E45BCCADE.jpeg
    D7997AEA-0FD7-4647-AF57-FA0E45BCCADE.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 14
Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I think I have just completed square number one (from a stack of yarn my daughter was keen to be rid of) which will be made into - erm - something like a knee warmer for me in the van. Suddenly blocking looks like a plan... even if I have just smoothed it a lot. The flower bit was alarmingly bibbly bobbly until I did the outside rows.
Pretty colours

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Sus3v love the pattern and the colours :)
Thank you. Pattern is African flower, and yarn is a gift from youngest daughter who has given up crochet for making resin key rings and jewellery. Like these ...

Attachments

• 8BF5C659-63A6-4102-B6E9-8F65426649FC.jpeg
    8BF5C659-63A6-4102-B6E9-8F65426649FC.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 13
  • 10073FDB-3A2E-47A5-AB4C-1F1D9BA1C42E.jpeg
    10073FDB-3A2E-47A5-AB4C-1F1D9BA1C42E.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 14

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I know the skull iconography is the in thing at the moment but it still makes me shudder for some reason.

I have a few African Flower blocks in a box somewhere myself in green and white which I thought looked fresh and clean when I made them, then my daughter moved to Glasgow and they got put away. I could unhook the blocks and reuse the yarn I suppose.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
I know the skull iconography is the in thing at the moment but it still makes me shudder for some reason.

I have a few African Flower blocks in a box somewhere myself in green and white which I thought looked fresh and clean when I made them, then my daughter moved to Glasgow and they got put away. I could unhook the blocks and reuse the yarn I suppose.
Hehe. Daughters! Gotta love’ ’em though. Agree about the skulls, Nancy has spent months getting them right (admirable) but I still don’t like them. I much prefer her pendants, which are simple, but preferable (in my old person’s
C344C8FA-2445-4F68-A08C-B903EB62A722.jpeg
opinion)

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019

(for those who don't know my Dad is in the later stages of complex dementia and has good and bad days - yesterday was quite good as he'd had a shower, clean clothes neck to toes and he recognised me but couldn't remember my name - but that's okay). I'd bought sandwiches for us all at M&S on Newcastle station as I change trains there. Dad said there was too much for him to eat (I cut all into dainty size bites and placed selections on individual plates to stop him fingering and opening every sandwich) but he ate everything on his plate and took some of my Mum's when he thought she didn't see. His appetite has been awful and he has lost a lot of weight so I was pleased to see him eat and enjoy. Mum has lost some of the joy on cooking as it is not appreciated and so even when tasty it doesn't always look attractive.
My father had Alzheimers combined with Oesophageal Cancer at the end and when he got to the point of not being able to swallow, my Mother stopped cooking for herself. She said it was cruel to have lovely cooking smells in the house when he couldn't eat any of it, she never cooked again even after he died, and now in a dementia care home herself has lost so much weight that sometimes its hard to see how she can still be alive let alone able to shuffle around.

I gave you a like but would rather it had been a :hugs:

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I've found the pattern of my next project and want to buy the yarn as its on offer, but have no idea what they mean on the needle size (circular) or even why it has to be circular at all! I'm not so keen on circular needles as I don't like the unsupported hanging effect on the stitches.

I was thinking to make it in Rose Garden
and Off White

The yarns are used together, so both strands.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
oh, well it seems I've found the answer to my own question! Its a size 15 circular needle with a length of 80cm, but I'm still unsure why I can't use a regular needle rather than circular

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Maybe something to do with the number of stitches. There will probably be too many for normal needles. Is it knitted across the whole width ie side back side?

Denise
No, its done as normal pieces, back and 2 sides, but the sleeves are picked up from the back and front armholes and then knitted down to the cuff.

Having looked again its done with 1 strand of each (Aran and Chunky weights respectively) and 80 stitches on the needles so at that weight its probably far too many for their size on a normal length needle, so think you got that right.

Although I do love the jacket, its labelled as being for Spring/Summer I think its probably more appropriate for Autumn/Winter as it will be massively thick - back to the drawing board.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

I was thinking to make it in Rose Garden
and Off White

The yarns are used together, so both strands.

All the Drops Designs / Garn Studio patterns are given to be done on circular needles. I prefer knitpro interchangeable needles over standard needles now I am used to them. I found there is no comparison between the cheap circular needles and the knitpro brand.

Also I have bought the yarn for Dad's blanket. Aldi have yarn on sale at the moment and I bought some there but not enough bright colours so called in at Home Bargains on the way home where they had a good selection of very bright colours. All acrylic so it should be easy care and not too heavy. I have also printed off the pattern for the "challenging" block. I'll see how I manage as I can always retreat to something easier. Dad's birthday is the end of May :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
My sweater is complete!

100_9869.JPG

100_9871.JPG

I've started the first block of Dad's "lapghan" and the pattern isn't difficult but is complex. I understand why some people said it was challenging because you have to read the directions several times to get it correct. I do really like what I have done though :) Not sure if I will make 9 or 12 blocks, it will probably depend on how much yarn I have left when I have completed the 9 blocks. If I don't have enough for 12 I can make some cushion covers to go with the lapghan.

I think I should be able to complete a block in 3 or 4 nights but I'm going to do the next 8 blocks by doing the first two rounds on all of them before moving on to rounds 3 on all the blocks and so on. All the blocks will have different colours in different places :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back