Leaky window - causes and cure? (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Anybody else had issues with leaky windows?

Our van is 10 years old and the spongy seal that the windows sit in is a bit leaky. Basically water that pools in the central corner (if you can follow that) seems to soak through to the spongy seal that is on the inside until it is soaking.

It doesn't seem to go anywhere else - apart from perhaps down inside the door. Is that a problem?!

Anybody got any ideas about why this is happening and how to solve?

Many thanks,

Andy

p.s. It's a 2007 Arto 69

Attachments

• IMG_5188.JPG
    IMG_5188.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5187.JPG
    IMG_5187.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 63
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We have similar sliding windows as many A class vans do. The spongy material is not a complete seal though, it is merely the surface upon which the glass slides I think. I would suggest that you ensure the little drainage slots underneath the plastic covers on the outside of the window are not blocked as if they are water will not be able to escape and will run over the spongy parts and over the window channel causing a leak. You can pull up the spongy stuff and you will see the channel it sits in and the drainage slots so you check them from the channel side as well as from outside. You could also check with a squeeze bottle full of water whether they are draining correctly although from your picture it looks like some water is coming out of the one I can see.

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have similar sliding windows as many A class vans do. The spongy material is not a complete seal though, it is merely the surface upon which the glass slides I think. I would suggest that you ensure the little drainage slots underneath the plastic covers on the outside of the window are not blocked as if they are water will not be able to escape and will run over the spongy parts and over the window channel causing a leak. You can pull up the spongy stuff and you will see the channel it sits in and the drainage slots so you check them from the channel side as well as from outside. You could also check with a squeeze bottle full of water whether they are draining correctly although from your picture it looks like some water is coming out of the one I can see.

So water that drains down through the spongy seal doesn't go right inside the door - it just drains into that channel and out of the little drain in the picture?

I will definitely check to see if that channel is clear.

Presumably you need the window open to pull up the spongy seal?

Thanks again.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You only need to start worrying if the tracks fill up inside (blocked drain holes) as posted above the window is not designed to be 100% watertight it just manages the water by draining it away.

You can see the water coming out of the drain in picture 2.

Martin

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
You only need to start worrying if the tracks fill up inside (blocked drain holes) as posted above the window is not designed to be 100% watertight it just manages the water by draining it away.

You can see the water coming out of the drain in picture 2.

Martin
Thanks Martin. It would be good to check the tracks and see if the drain holes are clear.

Do the spongy seals come out and go back in pretty easily?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
So water that drains down through the spongy seal doesn't go right inside the door - it just drains into that channel and out of the little drain in the picture?

I will definitely check to see if that channel is clear.

Presumably you need the window open to pull up the spongy seal?

Thanks again.
Yes that's how it drains and you need the window open. Also the spongy bits are easy to remove and just push back into place

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back