Leaking Van (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
It’s been a long time since I posted as it’s been a long time since I was here. Some of the golden oldies may remember me buying a MH which turned out to be damp. We began to renovate it & basically that was 4 years ago & I’ve now spent more money on it than it cost me to buy. And my sons are still telling me to take it to the skip 😔. BUT it’s almost finished - at least the putting back together of it is. Then I get to add my creative touch to it. 🥰. Will add a few photos of the before & will hopefully soon be able to add the after ones. It’s currently with a guy who is doing some welding & he’s going to spray wax underneath & take it to MOT for me. Then a friend is sorting the electrics & we’ll drive it while doing the curtains & upholstery. Am planning to take it to Santander via Cork on Sept for 4 weeks God willing.

OP
OP
D
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
CB42F922-DCE7-48AD-9137-0FE33FD5DE52.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
When getting a habitation check done (mainly for the gas), the guy brought & damp tester & said it’s 98% damp. Stripping it revealed the extent.
C0A0FEA4-D05D-41E8-ADA4-8C8B0EEC0786.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
I’ve threatened to put flower stickers all over it & that would definitely stop them going in it. Though several friends have said they won’t go in it either if I do that 🤷‍♀️ I love the hippy style campers but should probably stop thinking I’m still a teenager 🙈

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I’ve threatened to put flower stickers all over it & that would definitely stop them going in it. Though several friends have said they won’t go in it either if I do that 🤷‍♀️ I love the hippy style campers but should probably stop thinking I’m still a teenager 🙈
Nar, go for it.

Insider

Free Member
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
Congrats and enjoy!!! Not want to scupper your travel plans but what Cork to Santander ferry is there?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We had a Swift Royale (610?) from new, and really liked it.

Swift contacted us when it was two years old to say that there may be a problem with some of them allowing damp ingress via the roof/wall joint.

They collected it on a low loader, had it for five weeks while they removed and replaced the roof and checked thoroughly for damp.

On its return they had also added any improvements that had been made to our model during its two year life at no charge.

Having exchanged it later, we saw it on a Campsite, sadly neglected!😕

We are on our ninth motorhome over a period of 40+ years. Seven, including our present one have been Swift.
Our experience of the other two manufacturers is not to be repeated.

We will be really interested see how your project goes.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Living the dream 😁 , as I said to the wife when we were thinking of getting a MoHo
Doesn’t matter what we have as long as we do it , Our finances were very questionable at the time , go for it , will be worth the effort

OP
OP
D
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
Congrats and enjoy!!! Not want to scupper your travel plans but what Cork to Santander ferry is there?
Oh - it’s maybe Rosslare to Santander?? Did they take the Cork one off?

OP
OP
D
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
We had a Swift Royale (610?) from new, and really liked it.

Swift contacted us when it was two years old to say that there may be a problem with some of them allowing damp ingress via the roof/wall joint.

They collected it on a low loader, had it for five weeks while they removed and replaced the roof and checked thoroughly for damp.

On its return they had also added any improvements that had been made to our model during its two year life at no charge.

Having exchanged it later, we saw it on a Campsite, sadly neglected!😕

We are on our ninth motorhome over a period of 40+ years. Seven, including our present one have been Swift.
Our experience of the other two manufacturers is not to be repeated.

We will be really interested see how your project goes.
Thanks for sharing that info. What year was the Royale? This one is 29yo. Approx 57k miles.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks for sharing that info. What year was the Royale? This one is 29yo. Approx 57k miles.
Sorry, I don’t remember the year but it was the same generation/model as yours. We bought it new and it must have been about thirty+ years ago.

It was our first foray into motorhoming after being supplied with one, by Red Pennant Insurance, to allow us to continue our holiday following a bad accident as we set off on holiday in our caravan. We decided that we preferred motorhomes.

I would estimate that it was around 1990 to 1992 but can’t be sure of the exact year.

OP
OP
D
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
Sorry, I don’t remember the year but it was the same generation/model as yours. We bought it new and it must have been about thirty+ years ago.

It was our first foray into motorhoming after being supplied with one, by Red Pennant Insurance, to allow us to continue our holiday following a bad accident as we set off on holiday in our caravan. We decided that we preferred motorhomes.

I would estimate that it was around 1990 to 1992 but can’t be sure of the exact year.
Ours is 1994 - that’s interesting -wonder was it part of the same batch 🤔. When we bought it, there was thick sticky tape on an approx 6” gash in the middle of the roof & there was also the same tape the whole way along the edge of the roof on both sides. The gap on the edges was about 1/2” 😳. My hubby had checked the roof in the dark & never noticed or we wouldn’t have touched it with a barge pole 🙄. But it’s been an interesting project & can’t wait to get the outside painted & get it on the road. We seem to have done the opposite of what everyone else does - our 1st was a Hymer 6mths old & 2nd a Bailey that was 2 years old & now this old banger 🙈. But I’ve sorta gotten attached to it & will run it into the ground (which might not take too long 😂).

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Seems like you are nearing the end of your reconstruction saga. Have a great time in Spain, we will be there around the same time will keep a look out for you.
Re the flowers, I work nights and got up one afternoon to discover my son and his friends, while slightly inebriated, had hippified my old bedford pop top a real flower power look. was so glad I was not at work that night and they had done it in paint which washed off. Wish now i had a photograph to remind me.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Ours is 1994 - that’s interesting -wonder was it part of the same batch 🤔. When we bought it, there was thick sticky tape on an approx 6” gash in the middle of the roof & there was also the same tape the whole way along the edge of the roof on both sides. The gap on the edges was about 1/2” 😳. My hubby had checked the roof in the dark & never noticed or we wouldn’t have touched it with a barge pole 🙄. But it’s been an interesting project & can’t wait to get the outside painted & get it on the road. We seem to have done the opposite of what everyone else does - our 1st was a Hymer 6mths old & 2nd a Bailey that was 2 years old & now this old banger 🙈. But I’ve sorta gotten attached to it & will run it into the ground (which might not take too long 😂).
As I remember it the potential leak, although our m/h was OK, was in the “Swan Neck” area where the overcab sweeps down to the main body. We had no problems at all through our three years of ownership except when I lost all the pipe work for emptying the grey waste when I went over a speed bump rather enthusiastically in France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back