Leaking van roof (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Transit Jumbo
Hey forum, just a quick question really. It had hacked it down with rain recently and we went to do some work on our van conversion but noticed some little puddles inside. It definitely came in through the roof.

This concerns me massively.

Can anyone advise on what is the best way to fully waterproof a van roof? I would be surprised that this happened but I have seen this problem before on a few youtube videos (forgot which ones now) so just interested to hear what the solution usually is...

Many thanks

OP
OP
poindexter
Oct 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Transit Jumbo
Not serious amounts, but enough to be a problem. Maybe a couple of tablespoons in 3 or 4 spots. After I have spent many hours and £££'s I don't want water coming in I don't want water ingress to make my environment minging with moss etc....

Upvote 1
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Base vehicle and where were the water droplets?
Ford Transit perhaps?

1667986628602.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
poindexter
Oct 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Transit Jumbo
Yep a transit. No skylights in it yet. Water was in varying locations throughout the van. I will spray water over it with a hose and pack the insides with newspaper to identify the leaking spots I reckon. Only question is what to do with it once I found them?

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
That’s sounds really poor construction no skylights or holes cut in and the roof leaks on various places?

How old is the van?

I would consider not converting it, selling and buying a better van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
poindexter
Oct 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Transit Jumbo
That’s sounds really poor construction no skylights or holes cut in and the roof leaks on various places?

How old is the van?

So sell the van, buy another and risk having exactly the same problem? I dont think so.

Leaks can be identified and fixed. Not that I have done it before but will figure it out.

There is a reversing cam fitted and a spinning air vent. It could be the air vent. Still it needs to be water tightness tested anyway so that will be the next job...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
poindexter
Oct 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Transit Jumbo
Are you sure it’s not condensation?

I have a metal garage roof. It doesn’t leak but it really did drip, until I insulated it.
Yea pretty sure its not condensation. There is nothing moist in the van. It was also a couple of perfect puddles right in the middle of the van. I'll get the hose out this weekend, stuff the insides with newsdaper and see how that goes

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Any threaded holes in roof where roof rack could be mounted as a van extra ?

Possibly under plastic trim.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
So sell the van, buy another and risk having exactly the same problem? I dont think so.

Leaks can be identified and fixed. Not that I have done it before but will figure it out.

There is a reversing cam fitted and a spinning air vent. It could be the air vent. Still it needs to be water tightness tested anyway so that will be the next job...
Well it must be a rare occurrence surely, roof leaking on an unconverted van with no holes in the roof?

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Gutter roof rack fixings can rust! My first van Mitsubishi l300 and second van Chevy G20 van both leaked because of this!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
Photo of the van roof from above and a photo of the rooflight from inside the van to give a definitive answer.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
We have had a problem with leaking roof. After putting my weight in various places on the roof I found hairline cracks appeared. No weight: no cracks visible. The eventual solution was to paint the roof with rubber paint. Excellent result. Hardest part was cleaning the roof before painting. Plus waiting for 2 or 3 days of fine weather!

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
Yea pretty sure its not condensation. There is nothing moist in the van. It was also a couple of perfect puddles right in the middle of the van. I'll get the hose out this weekend, stuff the insides with newsdaper and see how that goes
Check the gutters on the roof, whent I was a kid, we had an estate car that had presumeably not been sealed at the gutter seam on one side. Took my young eyes to see the difference tho. Dad couldn't see it, but sealing it with regular silicone stuff stopped the leak.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
poindexter
Oct 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Transit Jumbo

How old is the van?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Sell the van because of a leak. Buy another that has no guarantee of having the same problem or worse. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I found the source of the leak. There was an old camera mounted on the roof. Its silicone had come away. Removed it. Resealed it. Got on top of the van with a jet wash. Not a drop came through.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Pleased to hear you found the source of the leak, it did sound like condensation from what you described.
What did you use to re-seal ?

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
No fixed address, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
Just shows you every vehicle is unique! When the roof lining came out of my old morris, it used to rain inside on cold mornings!

I resealed the front and sides of a roof light on top of my van in the summer using a proprietary brand and it seems to have stalled a small ingress that had soaked into the interior surface = it isn't any worse!

We should do a whole section on water ingress.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
poindexter
Oct 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Transit Jumbo
Pleased to hear you found the source of the leak, it did sound like condensation from what you described.
What did you use to re-seal ?
Tigerseal... after a day it is totally solid. Stands up to the jetwash no trouble. That roof won't be leaking again anytime soon. I put the heater inside the van overnight and she totally bone dry inside. I am now a happy camper.

The project is about 20% complete now. I'll be release part1 of the video soon so watch this space!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back