Leaking roof light window - Adria Coral (1 Viewer)

Pengwern

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 690
Exp
Since 2017
My Adria Coral motorhome is just over two years old. It recently developed a leak with water dropping down from the roof light above the island bed. Adria were disappointingly a little reluctant at first to cover it under warranty, but eventually agreed to cover it. The engineer could find nothing wrong with the window, seals or mechanism, so it appeared to be a problem with the initial installation back at the Adria factory. The rooflight was taken out and replaced with a new one. Everything seemed okay for two weeks and then after last weeks storms I discovered it was leaking from the same place. The engineer now believes that there is a fundamental design fault in the roof light whereby water is pushed by the wind under the outside plastic and over the forced ventilation gap, where it gathers on the inside ledge and drips down on to the bed. It seems the only answer is to block the forced ventilation gap, but this may obviously cause the build up of condensation inside the van. Does anyone have similar experience of this? If so I would be interested to hear how you solved it. It seems bizarre that Adria would produce a rooflight with a basic design fault.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Is the water coming in whilst you are standing still, or on the move? If at a standstill I'm surprised as it would need a hell of a breeze to do that; I was going to say unless it was faulty but you've had it replaced.

On the other hand if it's whilst in motion, I've noted a lot of vans (including our Swift) have a wind break just in front of the roof vent which protects it from this sort of thing. Don't know if there should be one on your Adria but if this matches the circumstances there are after-market windbreaks which are simple to fit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
remove the skylight and install spacers cut to fit the opening (each sealed with tape mastic), then refit the skylight with longer screws and new tape mastic

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Our last coral had the same issue. We found that if parked nose up the amount of roof space in front of window allowing a large amount of water to force its way in. This happens when driving also. When nose down it was never an issue no matter how much rain. We got rid before fix. But would suggest silicone a plastic angle in front of window to deflect the running water. Could be an easy and cheap fix

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Pengwern
When you put the roof light does it have a complete seal all the way round or is part of it removed?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Our last coral had the same issue. We found that if parked nose up the amount of roof space in front of window allowing a large amount of water to force its way in. This happens when driving also. When nose down it was never an issue no matter how much rain. We got rid before fix. But would suggest silicone a plastic angle in front of window to deflect the running water. Could be an easy and cheap fix

I always park our Coral nose up(on ramps) so the water runs off the back of the roof.
Never had any water leak in, even when using a hose to wash the roof.
DP

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I always park our Coral nose up(on ramps) so the water runs off the back of the roof.
Never had any water leak in, even when using a hose to wash the roof.
DP
This was just how it happened on our van all we could think of was the large area in front as it only happened on the rear of the two roof windows.
Now we have just picked up our new Adria Coral and so far so good same make window in similar position. Fingers crossed I suppose

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Water may be entering the roof from somewhere else and travelling along the roof between the insulation and only dripping down into the living space where there is a hole ie the roof light.

OP
OP
Pengwern

Pengwern

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 690
Exp
Since 2017
I’m not really sure, but when I inspected the new roof light it looked as if the seal was all the way round.

OP
OP
Pengwern

Pengwern

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 690
Exp
Since 2017
Is the water coming in whilst you are standing still, or on the move? If at a standstill I'm surprised as it would need a hell of a breeze to do that; I was going to say unless it was faulty but you've had it replaced.

On the other hand if it's whilst in motion, I've noted a lot of vans (including our Swift) have a wind break just in front of the roof vent which protects it from this sort of thing. Don't know if there should be one on your Adria but if this matches the circumstances there are after-market windbreaks which are simple to fit.

OP
OP
Pengwern

Pengwern

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 690
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for the advice. The leak occurs when the van is stationary. The wind on the South Wales coast has been pretty strong recently. I’ll look in to you suggested solution.

OP
OP
Pengwern

Pengwern

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 690
Exp
Since 2017
Like all manufacturers they were reluctant to honour the water ingress warranty. It took several e-mails and persistent arguing to persuade them. I’m battling with them now to replace the mattress which was damaged and now has a huge watermark on it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Like all manufacturers they were reluctant to honour the water ingress warranty. It took several e-mails and persistent arguing to persuade them. I’m battling with them now to replace the mattress which was damaged and now has a huge watermark on it.
awwww, did you piss the bed? :ROFLMAO: ;)

Dec 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria 600 Twin SP
Did you solve it? It happens with my Adria twin but only during torrential rain not whilst driving thankfully. It’s the gulley on the real roof light that the window sits in. There are only 4 drain holes in the gulley allowing water to get away onto the roof. There’s on on each corner so if your not perfectly flat it only drains out of 1 or. 2 holes And they are not very big either. I’ve drilled more holes in it 2mm bit and it now allows the water to get away. Rubbish design the front one has foam seal and no problems but apparently Adria won’t do the same on the rear for health and safety reasons associated with carbon monoxide! What about hypothermia sleeping on a wet bed!!

Alesupper

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
Did you solve it? It happens with my Adria twin but only during torrential rain not whilst driving thankfully. It’s the gulley on the real roof light that the window sits in. There are only 4 drain holes in the gulley allowing water to get away onto the roof. There’s on on each corner so if your not perfectly flat it only drains out of 1 or. 2 holes And they are not very big either. I’ve drilled more holes in it 2mm bit and it now allows the water to get away. Rubbish design the front one has foam seal and no problems but apparently Adria won’t do the same on the rear for health and safety reasons associated with carbon monoxide! What about hypothermia sleeping on a wet bed!!
PaulAdri My Adria Twin has the same issue. Any chance of a photo of the additional hole you drilled. I just want to make sure I drill them in the right place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back