Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The Autocirrus/Autostratus/Calypso/Castaway family of vans were not marketed for very long.
It was Explorer Groups first move away from their more traditional construction method and it was failure.
We know, we had an Autocirrus! It was a seive on wheels! I lost count of the leaks I had to fix. The fibreglass mouldings were of poor quality too. They were very pourous and I even put my finger through one accidentally whilst washing it with a sponge.
I would use every excuse for a refund I am afraid.
I could be wrong, there might be good ones about with no problems, but your leak might have been there a long time.......

Oh dear...dont waste time, just take it back and demand a refund and don't move till you get it!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just thought, this isn't the same van that was in another thread yesterday, where someone's neighbours had had a new to them van, and was pressure washing the roof when they walked by?

OP
OP
S

seatrout

Free Member
May 25, 2015
neath porttalbot wales
Funster No
MH
compass castaway
Exp
had a engineers report on motorhome 70% above door 40% above fixed bed lockers 70% around hieki sunroof 70%under one of the bench seats habitation test was done on this motorhome by dealer on 23 05 2015 wants to have back for repairs I have rejected the motorhome by email where do you think I can go from here thanks john

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Wait for dealers reply, if not positive go to trading standards or whatever they are called nowadays.
Cheers, Dave(y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Its not for purpose. Why didnt any of this damp show up ony 11 days ago. The habitation done by the dealer clearly is false IMO I wouldnt trust them any further. Demand a refund and take your business elsewhere.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
You need to name the dealer and then if the result is good its good dealer feedback but on the other hand!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
irnbru has a valid point, either the damp report from the dealer is false (most likely IMO) or, he is incapable of doing one correctly. (and if this is the case do you trust him with a repair!).
Check your damp report from him is directly related to his business. Give him a copy and tell him you have the original and it is proof that he has mis-sold you the motorhome. He has nowhere to turn, if he refuses to reimburse you take your complaint to trading standards as a starters.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
if you have the rain we are getting in Swansea do not open the door of your m/h it will be full of water but re thread you have the law behind you with the damp report you had done today tell him full refund plus report cost ,if no joy from him go down to small claims court get a claim against him if he gives you bull shit after that pay the cost of a high court writ call in the bailiff hope this help lol ray

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
had a engineers report on motorhome 70% above door 40% above fixed bed lockers 70% around hieki sunroof 70%under one of the bench seats habitation test was done on this motorhome by dealer on 23 05 2015 wants to have back for repairs I have rejected the motorhome by email where do you think I can go from here thanks john
Straight back to the dealers, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TAKE IT BACK IMMEDIATELY

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Does anyone else think a decent quality damp meter is a must in a motorhomer / caravaners tool kit ? I have a cheap one which i check my logs with but am thinking maybe getting a better one . What should i be looking for?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Does anyone else think a decent quality damp meter is a must in a motorhomer / caravaners tool kit ? I have a cheap one which i check my logs with but am thinking maybe getting a better one . What should i be looking for?
I have owned one for years, ever since a caravan dealer tried to rip us off, by saying that they had found damp in our caravan we were part exchanging. A common trick to knock down the value. We pulled out of the deal. ;)
I've since replaced it with a more modern version which is carried in the MH.

Cheers,

Jock.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Thats the thing..having the experience to know where to look!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
No you are not, as I posted on here a while ago, I have one of the Aldi things and it will tell you anything but the truth, if you put the prongs in the rubber around your windows it shows 100% damp , you just can't spend tens of thousands on the whim of a ten pound piece of Chinese crap.
Damp meters measure resistance (which decreases dramatically when measuring a porous item that is damp). Rubber (unless formulated as an insulator) usually contains carbon. Another excellent conductor.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Beats me how they could have concealed that much damp , how is it the bed wasn't already wet or showing signs if it was that bad it was dripping, and didn't it smell, or mould anywhere or soggy patches, as I said strange

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

Broken Link Removed

This one was recommended when the subject last came up. (y)

OP
OP
S

seatrout

Free Member
May 25, 2015
neath porttalbot wales
Funster No
MH
compass castaway
Exp
Beats me how they could have concealed that much damp , how is it the bed wasn't already wet or showing signs if it was that bad it was dripping, and didn't it smell, or mould anywhere or soggy patches, as I said strange
I checked out the motorhome did not find any damp or smell anything unusual bought off a dealer has I was afraid something like this would happen and he done a habititaion test phoned up a couple of motorhome repairers that much damp doesn't come in a couple of days yes I made a big ----- up matter afact a£22250 one now im stuck with a motorhome he wants to repair don,t trust him be a waste of time have rejected the motorhome by email on the grounds not for purpose next step is trading standards and if that's get me no where court action but he as told me that could take years the original advert excellent overall condition what a joke and to top it all off was off to Scotland for 3 weeks in july as I do every year looks like have to cancel that wish I kept my caravan they suffer from damp as well but don't cost has much john

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I checked out the motorhome did not find any damp or smell anything unusual bought off a dealer has I was afraid something like this would happen and he done a habititaion test phoned up a couple of motorhome repairers that much damp doesn't come in a couple of days yes I made a big ----- up matter afact a£22250 one now im stuck with a motorhome he wants to repair don,t trust him be a waste of time have rejected the motorhome by email on the grounds not for purpose next step is trading standards and if that's get me no where court action but he as told me that could take years the original advert excellent overall condition what a joke and to top it all off was off to Scotland for 3 weeks in july as I do every year looks like have to cancel that wish I kept my caravan they suffer from damp as well but don't cost has much john
Go straight to your solicitor and get a 'notice before action' latter sent, giving the dealer notice that you intend to begin immediate legal action.
You'll be investing s couple of hundred pounds but,believe me, he will know you mean business.
Trading standards is an option, but with all the local authority cut backs they are not the force they used to be
You've a lot of money at stake here so my advice would be to move quickly and decisively
Best of luck!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Wasn't doughting you mate, just thought they must have spent almost as much disguising it, as putting it right in the first place.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I would agree about the effectiveness of chanting these four magic spells:

Not as described
Not fit for purpose
Trading Standards
Sale of Goods Act

Another handy one (that doesn't apply in this case) is

Data Protection Registrar's Office

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
what is the latest on your m/h have the dealer taken it back come back on this would like to know ray

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back