Lead acid batteries & gel, do they require a different charger? (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've just had to replace the battery charger in our Auto-Sleeper Executive year 2000 motorhome. The old charger had been working fine until the water filler snapped & I flooded it. I ordered up a new charger to suit the Zig unit & as you've probably already worked out, has a remote charger. I've tested the charger on mains & its all working tickety-boo, but whilst twiddling about in there I was musing over the idea of changing to a gel battery.

I've used gel batteries for many years in caravans as we have a very very steep drive & our last caravan was a twin axle behemoth with an all wheel drive Powrtouch Evolution mover, these movers have very powerful 4 pole motors. As these draw a huge current I felt the need of a very good battery. The caravan's book stated that gel or lead acid batteries were suitable, but never mentioned the type of charger.

Now comes the question that I need an answer to, do lead acid & gel batteries normally need a different charger? The existing battery is lead acid & to be fair to it, we don't tend to use a great deal of battery power & have never been caught short, even when wild camping, but I like the idea of a bit more juice?

Thanks in advance folks & I'm looking forward to your replies?

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not necessarily a different charger but a different charge regime so the charger needs to have either Gel or Flooded lead acid setting.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes, wet lead acid the first stage charge is normally taken to 14.4 v and held there for an hour for a full charge before dropping to a maintance voltage of 13.6v.
With Gel's the first stage charge is normally taken to 14.4 v and held there fo between 8 to 16 hours for a full charge before dropping to a maintance voltage of 13.8v.
If you charge gels on a wet cell setting they will only achive an 80% charge.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Wow that was quick guys, many many thanks. Sounds like I'd be better sticking with the lead acid for now.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'd expect any good modern charger to be able to cope with Wet or Gel batteries (possibly AGM too). I'd look for one that can address all three if buying a new one, for flexibility. Different battery chemistries require a different charging pattern. You don't need to know the details, just that the charger is set to match what you have.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the old version as fitted to your van as new, would not have an option for Gel. aftermarket chargers can be fitted as an upgrade fairly easily

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I was looking at a different battery recently, and the charger's technical manual was very specific about Lead Acid, deliberately vague about AGM (ie covering their backs), and made no mention of Gel, so I went for Sealed Lead Acid.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It wouldn't surprise me if the next generation of chargers allowed you to define the charging profile yourself. The only problem with that would be the manufacturers being clear about what was required. Opinion seems to vary but it'd be nice to be able to adjust to the latest conclusion or even adopt newer technologies, such as LiFePO et al.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @Lenny HB i believe, (and I am sure you will confirm or put me right) that the law in Germany has not allowed flooded lead acid batteries to be fitted into the habitation side of motorhomes and possibly only Gel were acceptable, the Hymer group used 1000's of G80 EXIDE to the point that they are now described as "Hymer fit". I know that many German brands are now using AGM but not sure about flooded lead acid.

All this is a long way of saying as your van is an import does the charger only have Gel AGM options as that is what is legal and would a UK spec Elektroblock be different.

Martin

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Worth remembering that until recently most motorhomes and caravans had a 12v domestic supply which also did some battery charging. They were not really battery chargers and were not good at it. The following is a quote from the C&C Club.

"The chargers generally fitted in caravans and motorhomes are not really battery chargers but power supplies designed to run the 12V equipment on board. As such they are not ideal for fully charging a leisure battery although the so called ‘intelligent chargers’ introduced in the last few years are much better in this respect."

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi @Lenny HB i believe, (and I am sure you will confirm or put me right) that the law in Germany has not allowed flooded lead acid batteries to be fitted into the habitation side of motorhomes and possibly only Gel were acceptable, the Hymer group used 1000's of G80 EXIDE to the point that they are now described as "Hymer fit". I know that many German brands are now using AGM but not sure about flooded lead acid.

All this is a long way of saying as your van is an import does the charger only have Gel AGM options as that is what is legal and would a UK spec Elektroblock be different.

Martin
As they fit AGM's as standard there would be no reason for them to fit a different charger for export markets, that is only my assumption I will try and confirm.
Strange thing is if you buy a German Tranie conversion it still has a wet cell starter battery under the seat. :(

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As they fit AGM's as standard there would be no reason for them to fit a different charger for export markets, that is only my assumption I will try and confirm.
Strange thing is if you buy a German Tranie conversion it still has a wet cell starter battery under the seat. :(
Agreed Lenny,

On the German transit point strange but I guess it come down to TUV approval and the transit based will have passed but th have other rules for the habitation side as there is a charger on the batteries all the time you are plugged in so more chance of gassing than the vehicle battery which is not being charged when the vehicle being used for habitation, OK it is when the charger links to the starter battery but this does not apply to all vehicles.

Martin

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It is disappointing not to be able to find out much about the wiring in modern motorhomes. Mine is supposed to look after both sets of batteries from either the mains charger when on EHU or from the alternator when driving, but there is no explanation as to how that is achieved. I fear that the charging methods are crude and not particularly effective, especially as the starter is Wet and the habitation is Gel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back