Laying Up Insurance (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Was looking into the possibility of this earlier today and also SORNing the van.
Am presently with Adrian Flux and noticed on the website that they do laying up insurance so asked for a quote...
A charming lady called me back and eventually I got a quote
Hmm...... My present premium for 6kmiles pa was £285 fully comp inc euro breakdown.
Laid up they quoted me £500 TPF&T
??
Me thinks the underwriters were scared of an avalanche of policy changes

Mike S

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Me thinks you didnt explain your requirements correctly or they mis understood most insurers are saying sorn does not effect ins

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Wasnt talking to them about SORN just interested in possibility of converting policy to "laid up" which was a service they advertise
Mike S

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What benefits does laying up offer over your assumed fully comp puzzles?

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Well the laid up policy means that there are no road risks to the ins co. Probably even a lower risk that TPF&T as there is prsumably no road mileage involved. As they said on the advert, things can happen even inside a locked garage or someone could vandalise
Designed mostly for classic vehicles in storage, not unlike a motorhome that is not in use and off road
M

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Comfort insurance.......

As the spread of the Coronavirus reaches pandemic proportions, some customers may be considering applying for a Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN) particularly if they have no immediate plans to use their vehicle on the road.

Once the registered keeper of the vehicle has made a SORN, whilst there is no longer a legal requirement to insure the vehicle, you can maintain your Comfort Insurance motor policy. In fact, because motorhomes and campervans are highly expensive, with the typical price being in region of £60K-£70K, it is highly recommended that fully comprehensive motorhome insurance cover is maintained at all times, even if the you have no immediate intention of taking your vehicle out on the road. There are several key reasons for this recommendation:

Vehicle Damage – Should your motorhome or campervan be damaged whilst it’s off the road, you’ll still need insurance cover to get it repaired.

Theft – Vehicles left unused for extended periods of time are sadly targets for thieves. Without insurance cover in place, should your vehicle be stolen or damaged whilst someone attempts to steal it, then you’ll be out of pocket. If your vehicle is being purchased on credit, the credit company will insist that the vehicle is comprehensively insured. If your vehicle has been purchased on credit and it’s not insured and it is damaged or stolen, not only will you have to pay for the loss yourself, you’ll continue to be liable to pay any outstanding finance on the vehicle.

Storage Site Requirements – Many off-site storage facilities stipulate in their terms and conditions that you must maintain insurance whilst your vehicle is being stored. This is to protect you should your vehicle cause damage to somebody else’s property whilst on site.

Additional Benefits – In addition to providing cover for your motorhome or campervan, your Comfort Insurance policy includes cover for accessories e.g. awnings and generators and also legal expenses cover. These additional covers are of benefit to you even whilst your vehicle is being kept off road.

Keeping your vehicle secure whilst it’s off road

Whilst your vehicle is off road, we highly recommend that you review your vehicle security arrangements to help prevent it being stolen.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Comfort insurance.......
As the spread of the Coronavirus reaches pandemic proportions, some customers may be considering applying for a Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN) particularly if they have no immediate plans to use their vehicle on the road.

Theft – Vehicles left unused for extended periods of time are sadly targets for thieves. Without insurance cover in place, should your vehicle be stolen or damaged whilst someone attempts to steal it, then you’ll be out of pocket. ............

Whilst your vehicle is off road, we highly recommend that you review your vehicle security arrangements to help prevent it being stolen.
I would imagine the risk of a motorhome being stolen at the moment is pretty low. They are going to stick out like a sore thumb with the roads being quiet and people not going away in them.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Still monitoring the tracker and non starter though......

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Still monitoring the tracker and non starter though......
We've got three CCTV cameras set up in Moho, they initiate on movement and heat sensors (I think) even a ? mouse scurrying along the floor will set them off.
We can look down the lens via our mobile,,, bloody clever stuff,,,
Most of'ut well over my head,,,
Mrs Biggus is up'tu'ut thou Borr ????

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Oh look a motor home on the road
It must be the owner driving it, No one would be daft enough to steal one these days, shall we report it Nah!!!
It could be the best time to steal one, the owner might not miss it for months if its taken from a storage facility
whenever you think its perfectly safe it most definitely is NOT

OP
OP
Mike800966
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
We seem to have missed my original point completely.
I was simply drawing attention to the ludicrous increase in premium compared to the reduced risk to the insurance co.
A further thought,,
If you SORN a vehicle and it is stolen surely we could be certain that it will ping any ANPR cameras as it goes along! Thereby making tracing easier!

Mike

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Perhaps the insurance company do not see it as a reduced risk. In normal times laid up might mean closed up and left looking abandoned for months on end, which is an invitation to Messrs Scrote and Sons to pay a visit. A stolen motorhome is a total loss to them but most accident repairs are not. The fact that post codes are so important to insurance costs suggest that they see theft as a big risk, the miles driven makes a smaller difference suggesting that they see use as a lesser one.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Maybe they see the risk as higher if it's not in use?
I laid-up 4WD and caravan and both were ransacked by gypsies. Caught one. He was fined £50! I suffered many £1000's total loss (not insured).

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I would think that changing to a laid up policy would be not worth it, first they would want to cancel your current policy, so you are ending it before completion, costs involved.

Surely best to just leave things as they are, sorn vehicle and wait for normal service to resume.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Maybe they see the risk as higher if it's not in use?
I do. When I thought we would be going into lockdown I bought a wheel clamp to add to my existing precautions, which already include an alarm and a tracker. I know nothing is entirely scrote proof but a visible big orange clamp might make them look for an easier target on the storage site.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
It’s insurance so they will shaft you what ever you do. Obviously being used and driven is more risk, thats why higher milage equals higher premiums.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
It’s insurance so they will shaft you what ever you do. Obviously being used and driven is more risk, thats why higher milage equals higher premiums.
Yes but no mileage at all is probably an even bigger risk. Theft seems to be a bigger factor in premiums than driving.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We've got three CCTV cameras set up in Moho, they initiate on movement and heat sensors (I think) even a ? mouse scurrying along the floor will set them off.
We can look down the lens via our mobile,,, bloody clever stuff,,,
Most of'ut well over my head,,,
Mrs Biggus is up'tu'ut thou Borr ????
Can it put a fire out,,BUSBY.

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I do. When I thought we would be going into lockdown I bought a wheel clamp to add to my existing precautions, which already include an alarm and a tracker. I know nothing is entirely scrote proof but a visible big orange clamp might make them look for an easier target on the storage site.
We bought a "Pedal Lock Box".
Its a bit of a pain geddin it on and off but a great visual deterrent when scumbag scrote comes calling?!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back