Latest info on the Pet Passport. (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Can you have two pet passports if you have a residence in two countries England/Spain ?
Why would you need two passports. The Spanish one should be fine. It stops you needing a health check in UK when you go back to Spain. I am keeping hold of Caspers UK passport and I carry a copy of his blood test. At the moment even if we crash out the checks will be the same as at present when entering the UK.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I don’t understand your dates. Is your blood test like ours, that is, a second one to replace the original?

Charlie’s rabies ran out last year, he had his new rabies last Monday, the blood test is due on the 2.1.10, the vet said we did not need the blood test and it would only be necessary if the UK went for a ‘no deal brexit’!

We have decided to go ahead with the blood test which is a second one. He now has a French passport to replace the UK passport which was full!

We are due on the Santander ferry at the beginning of March, which means if there is a no deal Brexit, we are buggered!

Ginny

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Charlie’s rabies ran out last year, he had his new rabies last Monday, the blood test is due on the 2.1.10, the vet said we did not need the blood test and it would only be necessary if the UK went for a ‘no deal brexit’!

We have decided to go ahead with the blood test which is a second one. He now has a French passport to replace the UK passport which was full!

We are due on the Santander ferry at the beginning of March, which means if there is a no deal Brexit, we are buggered!

Ginny
I will send you my phone number, I don’t pretend to be the font of all knowledge but it’s easier to talk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Best cast your vote for one of the parties who won't change the current system then :giggle:

Mick

Which party would that be? I dont trust Boris to do anything he says/promises, he is Prime minister because of his ‘untruths’ during Brexit campaign. Problem is I don‘t have much faith in Jeremy keeping election promises either.

Hung parliament here we come!!!

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Why would you need two passports. The Spanish one should be fine. It stops you needing a health check in UK when you go back to Spain. I am keeping hold of Caspers UK passport and I carry a copy of his blood test. At the moment even if we crash out the checks will be the same as at present when entering the UK.
At the moment we only have an English pet passport but I presume we could get one whilst over in the Canaries in the new year.
We flew over for a month whilst we wait for the vote to be sorted and also have an operation booked so not really worth driving over pre Brexit.

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
I’m just in the process of doing my Labs (her first one) and have gone for the old style blood test 30 days after her rabies jab to cover all eventualities with the political situation. Her vets are recommending these now as well to stop any uncertainty with customers, it’s more expensive obviously for the laboratory results but it might save messing around in the near future but we shall see.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I’m just in the process of doing my Labs (her first one) and have gone for the old style blood test 30 days after her rabies jab to cover all eventualities with the political situation. Her vets are recommending these now as well to stop any uncertainty with customers, it’s more expensive obviously for the laboratory results but it might save messing around in the near future but we shall see.

Yes thats what we decided, but when are you going to travel??

CjF

Free Member
Sep 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
6yrs
Going out in mid January, doing nothing different as I'm assuming we will be in transition or another extension after Jan 31st 2020 in which case nothing will have changed when we come to return in March... Can't see any other outcome?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes, but, our pet passport was replaced by a French vet as sections of it were full - he gave us a French passport - does this count!!
Yes. Northernraider 2 have spanish passports.
Can you have two pet passports if you have a residence in two countries England/Spain ?
You can have as many as you want. there isn't any requirement at the vets to prove the animal lives in the country you get it done in.

BERT AND ELSIE

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
NUNEATON WARKS
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
VIRGINS GET IT NEXT WEEK
we are staying in the uk as i refuse to put little Elsie through it all getting a passport, Bertie has one, the uncertainty of it all was one of the reasons why we brought Betty van in the first place

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
We had the rabies vaccination done then went for the blood test which was taken from her jugular vein in her neck.
All done in the back of the vets but there was a large squeal when they put the needle in.
To those that have had the blood test done was it taken from the jugular and did you have the dog anethatised for the sample?
I am reluctant to put her through the ordeal again.
oh and by the way, the vaccination and blood test cost £150 and failed the blood test!!!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
No. Ours was not anesthetized to take the blood

We got our Rabies jab done about three months early, so we knew he would then pass the titre test. We had been advised not to risk a blood titre test if the rabies jab had been given more than one year ago, as many dogs will fail.

HarryML

Free Member
Apr 15, 2018
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Miller Indiana
Exp
No. Ours was not anesthetized to take the blood

We got our Rabies jab done about three months early, so we knew he would then pass the titre test. We had been advised not to risk a blood titre test if the rabies jab had been given more than one year ago, as many dogs will fail.

If there is a no deal and the UK has 3rd country status, I understand a blood test will be required.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
We had the rabies vaccination done then went for the blood test which was taken from her jugular vein in her neck.
All done in the back of the vets but there was a large squeal when they put the needle in.
To those that have had the blood test done was it taken from the jugular and did you have the dog anethatised for the sample?
oh and by the way, the vaccination and blood test cost £150 and failed the blood test!!!
Think ours was also done in the jugular as his throat was shaved but it hasn’t put our dog off going to the vets, he still pulls us in the door. As for the price, I don’t think that is too unreasonable for two vet visits plus the cost of the vaccination and the blood test. I have heard of people paying £200 just for the blood test! One of the only two labs that can do the test charge £55 + VAT so it might pay to shop around. Still a lot cheaper than kennel fees if dogs are left behind.

Quite a lot of dogs seem to fail the test. I would definitely get it done again. I would prefer to know my dog was protected even if it wasn’t required.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We had ours done so we were in the best possible position for previous “definite leave dates” that didn’t happen. We have needed to get the titre test done as Monty’s not old enough to have needed one when we got his passport. I think if I had to stay in the uk I would get rid of the motorhome as I don’t believe this country is set up for them.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
The test showed she had 0.35lU/ml antibodies and not the required 0.5.
Apparently some dogs don't produce enough antibodies so if we have a hard Brexit then she will need a booster and another test depending on what is agreed between us and the EU but considering that there will be cross channel political pandamonium for quite a while agreements on what category we will be placed in will not be a priority.
Just waiting for the outcome of the vote to see who has a majority and hope we leave with an agreement.

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
our 2 schnauzers all done on same day.
10 months later we went for titre test
one dog passed the other failed!!!!!! we had to get her re anti rabbies vac !!30 days later another titre test ....this time she passed ££££££
Picture 002.jpg

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We have a French passport, along with a French blood test. The blood test was necessary as Casper original test had a 30 day wait between injection and test instead of the present 21days which DeFRA said that would no longer be acceptable in case of a hard Brexit. We should not need the health check when entering France if the worst scenario happens.
Sorry I got the 21 and 30 days the wrong way around. It’s called old age catching up.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
In the end it is our pockets and the pets that suffer.
I bet there would be a big outcry if we had to have rabies jabs and a needle in our jugular before we could travel to the EU not withstandibg a worming tablet 24 hours before our return! Bet the Euro MP's would have something to say about that. After all they are full of S**t and eat S**t!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
quite stressful for the dog i am sure and as you say not something you want to put the dog through again.

although i would agree there is a lot we can and should blame these useless politicians for, Sadly, it was the vets choice to take blood from a Jugular vein.

our dog had a mild sedative and the blood taken from his lower front leg.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Thanks for your reply.
It was DEFRA who decided where to take bood from with advice from vets. Wish they had trialled it on themselves first.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for your reply.
It was DEFRA who decided where to take bood from with advice from vets. Wish they had trialled it on themselves first.
We go to a large practise which seems switched on. They shaved a patch on our dog's leg and took the sample from there. But it's possible, like with people, some dogs are harder to take a sample from because finding a vein is difficult. In this case they may have to go for a larger blood vessel.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
quite stressful for the dog i am sure and as you say not something you want to put the dog through again.

although i would agree there is a lot we can and should blame these useless politicians for, Sadly, it was the vets choice to take blood from a Jugular vein.

our dog had a mild sedative and the blood taken from his lower front leg.

Casper had four of us holding him still whilst the vet put a tourniquet on his leg. I think his pride was hurt more than his leg. At 35 kilos and a lot of fur it was exhausting (for us).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back