Late arrivals and leaving dog in van (1 Viewer)

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
If late arriving we wouldn’t set up fully, I’m not sure we’d even plug in. We have left our dogs in van and as far as we know, they’re always quiet, when we return there isn’t any barking etc so assume they have been good for the duration. However, I would, if they were noisy, expect that a neighbour would let us know. I would let a neighbour know if their dogs were noisy whilst out. We always ask too, we’re the dogs ok and as yet have always had No noise at all. My point is, let them know, doesn’t have to be nasty, if it was us we’d be all apologetic and prob wouldn’t leave on their own again.
We're English. Most of us would moan all day about the dig next door but when asked by the owner would say "Oh no, no bother at all".

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Yup, seen what’s goin

Yup, seen what’s been going on in the world thanks from work over the whole pandemic (please don’t make assumptions ). Can’t move as the site is full. Fair enough if folk think I’m being precious. Don’t think many would have wanted to have walked in my shoes over the last couple of years. Like I say please don’t make assumptions.
Points taken though.

I'm not making assumptions, I'm pointing out that somethings people worry about in the grand scheme of things are not worth worrying about.
If you walked in my shoes or mine in yours or many others, the fact this neighbour has upset you by arriving late and having a baking dog is just not worth the hassle.
As said you asked for opinions, I'm sure some you will like and some you won't.

Just enjoy what you do and don't over think what others do as it will drive you mad .

I'm in a field in Rutland and yesterday whilst sitting in my chair outside a frizby nearly hit me. A kid of about 10 came to get it back. I could have moaned at her, I didn't , I simply played frizby with her for 10 mins moving her further and further from my van. You could have got out your van and asked the late arrival if he wanted a hand setting up as he had arrived late and may have had an awful drive..

It's choices we make.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Why have a dog and then leave it?
Dillon goes most places with us, but taking him shopping is not really practical ( I offer this as an example though I caan think of other times it has been necessary
But then, as those who know him, Dillon has two modes... Excited and asleep !
If we do have to leave him he sleeps at olympic levels !!!

OP
OP
MikeH
Aug 14, 2019
Wilmslow, UK
Funster No
MH
2020 Bessacarr 597
Exp
Just concerned that this dog was howling and seemed distressed left in the dark, all blinds and windows closed with no tv or music on for hours. Points all taken though

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Our dog is so kna..,..d after 3 days of full on walking, swimming, up mountains that she is glad of the 4 hour nap when we want to cycle, roof open and never if hit and sunny. This time it was our Neil it’s on campsite in ther small van (and car) cat and dog, they had a (ceiling fan) fitted in van, I appreciate it was warm and cat in van but it was like being next to a fridge lorry, this went on for 5 hours, I had to as them

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
On a warm day isn't it much much cooler with the blinds closed and hatches open? That's got to be kinder than walking a dog on a hot day on hot surfaces.

As far as setting up: if it's moho then apart from the ehu what else is there to do? If it was a caravan I would understand that they would want to have access to running water in their caravan so filling an aquaroll etc is completely understandable.

Now if you had said they "set up" then sat outside with a fire pit going drinking beer and playing some banging house music, I would sympathise.

Perhaps they genuinely don't know that their dog gets stressed to that level that it howls, but again, 6pm to 9pm is hardly all night? Perhaps you could or should have discreetly hinted that their dog got the hump when they went out? They might even appreciate the heads up?

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Just after opinions as I may be being a bit precious. We’re on Lytton Lawn at present which has no late arrivals bay. T’other night at 10:30 our next door neighbours arrived on their pitch (obviously let in by the warden). Site was silent and pitch dark. I thought they would park up, pop into bed and set up early next morning. Instead they starting setting up on arrival. Plugging in ehu fair enough but did the full set up with torches and falling over cables/hoses in the dark. Finished after 11pm. Yesterday they left the dog in the van, all blinds closed from 6-9pm. Dog barked and howled all night. Poor animal must have been distressed.
So…am I being too precious or is this a lack of consideration for other users?
Anything after 10.00pm is silence in my book. Most continental wil not let you in after that. Why mybe but nothing else is vital for a Moho after that

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am a long term member of the C&CC and we tend to think by those rules. Camp quiet and no vehicle movements on site between 11pm and 7am unless an emergency

I know one of our dogs howls for 20 minutes sometimes when we have to go out, but ALWAYS walk them all and a chance to wee before we leave

As for rolling up really late then out at first light, had to do that before when we had THAT call from hospital that a relative is on their last hours. Not ideal having to do it, but circumstances beyond reasonable control. You never know what is going on in a stranger's life

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
It makes me sad to read this sort of tale. Not for the dog but because it reinforces the one thing I hate about caravanning and motorhoming. The feeling that you’re always being watched and talked about.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
I can think of worse kennels to have than a luxury motorhome,
i do sometimes rein myself in when judging folk,because as has been said ,you just dont know whats going on in someones life,they might have had an horrendous day,with a breakdown,or crappy traffic,or have to go hospital visiting,and have to leave the dog behind,
if you give them the benefit of the doubt its a betterfeeling, rather than thinking “selfish uncaring tossers” which is bound to make you feel worse lol
honestly it works 😬

tc1000ok

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Funster No
We were 'accosted' in Ardrossan by a chap who were walking their 2 border collies, we'd been shopping for less than an hour in the main street and when we returned the chap was 'hovering' near our MH, at first we thought he was just letting us get out of the way before he went past with his dogs but he was actually gong in the same direction as us, he asked us if it was our MH to which we said yes then had a lot off about us laving our dogs in it on a warm day. We told him they were fine as we'd got the roof vents open but he was a 'know it all' and wouldn't accept they were okay, we even invited him to step inside and see for himself but we just got a load of abuse, being accused of being cruel and he said he was going to call the Police, we told him to do so as we weren't going anywhere as it was lunchtime so we were going to have some nosh before moving on.

The one who was actually cruel was the chap for walking his long haired dogs in hot weather as they were panting.

When we went in the MH it was cooler than outside (just as we knew it would be) and the dogs just looked at us as if to say who was the nutter outside who had disturbed their snoozing!!!
Here, here. With all blinds down 12v fan (transcool with ice if I am being over cautious) roof vents open it is always cool for my dogs if I need to do a quick food shop. Food and water always available in the van. On a visit to beach a few years back, so, so hot. Beach dwellers were crawling off the beach it was so hot. My dogs, nice cool swim, back to van, cool as a cucumber, dogs dried out under the wind out canopy with the 12v fan, every passer by laughed and said can we join the dogs and one said "that's royalty for you" I wish "do gooders" would stop and think sometimes and not try to ruin your day. I am widowed, would he rather I put them in kennels and be miserable or a happy trio having a lovely trip somewhere nice.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Here, here. With all blinds down 12v fan (transcool with ice if I am being over cautious) roof vents open it is always cool for my dogs if I need to do a quick food shop. Food and water always available in the van. On a visit to beach a few years back, so, so hot. Beach dwellers were crawling off the beach it was so hot. My dogs, nice cool swim, back to van, cool as a cucumber, dogs dried out under the wind out canopy with the 12v fan, every passer by laughed and said can we join the dogs and one said "that's royalty for you" I wish "do gooders" would stop and think sometimes and not try to ruin your day. I am widowed, would he rather I put them in kennels and be miserable or a happy trio having a lovely trip somewhere nice.
We have three with us. My simple judgement on internal temperature is that if it's OK for us then it's OK for them. And we too have a remotely accessible camera. I disregard external security (windows open) if the dogs are left inside.

Sticky21

Free Member
Sep 30, 2021
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo
Exp
If you choose to take a dog away with you then you should be aware of your responsibilities ie not allowing them to disturb or spoil other peoples holidays.
We have six dogs which come away with us and have never had a complaint about them, because we respect other people and wouldn't dream about letting them be a nuisance to others on the site or leaving them alone in the van, old fashioned perhaps but its your dog, you look after it, that's what you took on, sorry if that interferes with your evening at the restaurant.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It makes me sad to read this sort of tale. Not for the dog but because it reinforces the one thing I hate about caravanning and motorhoming. The feeling that you’re always being watched and talked about.
Don’t worry about it. Just look at the type of people that have nothing more in their lives than to judge how you live your life. Do you really care what this type of person thinks? Thought not. 😂😂🍺🍺.

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
Don’t worry about it. Just look at the type of people that have nothing more in their lives than to judge how you live your life. Do you really care what this type of person thinks? Thought not. 😂😂🍺🍺.
It’s not that I particularly care about what someone thinks, I just value my privacy perhaps a bit more than average. Nowadays, my wife and I spend more of our touring time in CLs or smaller commercial sites. I’m afraid many CMC sites make me feel I’m in a goldfish bowl.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We had neighbour many years ago who said our washing line blocked her view.

You will always get people who don’t like something regardless of your hobby/lifestyle, with motorhoming whether it’s kids, generators, dogs, whoosh bang brigade, walking across your pitch, using the shower block when you have facilities, that’s just a few off the top of my head.

Instead of arguing/debating and moaning I always think of my mother, father and sister on the cancer ward, sat there with their stands and bags, no hair, gaunt and thin. The tears and heartache. None of them made it.

I now laugh when thinking about the neighbours complaints with the washing line.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Thought that was one of the joys of MHing. If you don't like your neighbour pack up and move on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back