Larger Wheels For Toilet Cassettes? (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Has anyone found larger wheels that fit on toilet cassettes to swop out for the originals so travel better & higher over rough ground?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Unfortunately it won’t work, the size of wheel determines the cassette is tight to the flap valve, any increase is size will stop the cassette from going fully home, conversely when the plastic wheels wear down then you have problems with leaks,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 24, 2007
Funster No
Would it still fit in the compartment with larger wheels? We use a suitcase carrier.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Looking at storing the cassette tank either without wheels or with existing wheels on & adding or swopping to larger wheels when taking to empty it. The current wheels pop off easily.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just get a cheap folding luggage trolley, something like this, the width of the wheels makes a lot of difference, not just the diameter:

Obviously it has the advantage that it can be used for other things too (handy when we buy stuff from a car boot sale!).

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you for the alternative transport suggestions but the existing wheels work ok so only looking for wheels to "pimp" the cassette to make it work better. Mr Wombles thought it may be a good idea so just wondered if anyone else has already done this before we spend ages looking at wheels!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you can DIY how about getting some larger wheels and then making a bracket which you can attach as/when required and leave the existing wheels as they are, something like stabilisers for a bike - the wheels are too small for what you want but it shows the type of thing I'm talking about:

<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
If you can DIY how about getting some larger wheels and then making a bracket which you can attach as/when required and leave the existing wheels as they are, something like stabilisers for a bike - the wheels are too small for what you want but it shows the type of thing I'm talking about:

<Broken link removed>
Thank you - something like that is what Mr Wombles (he's very handy, techy one not me) also suggested but I prefer a less bulky option if it's viable.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I don't understand the addition of wheels.
Previously the cassette would hold ??litres
Now it holds ??-wheel location litres.
So it weighs less and it has wheels.
Please give me back the capacity and do away with the wheels which I never use.
OK, so I am a super fit 75 year old!! but would rather carry the cassette rather than attempt to pull the unstable cart across an undulating camping site.

Geoff

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Being tight fisted I would rather empty the cassette earlier whilst I can still carry it. We probly have room for a trolley but it’s just something else to add to our belongings.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I just carry it. It’s not very heavy (20kg tops) and saves all the noise of pulling it along. Also the wheels don’t get covered in mud.
We do too usually but on occasion at events & festivals it has been a very long walk!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We do too usually but on occasion at events & festivals it has been a very long walk!
In which case a shopping trolley might be a better bet, that way when you're not using it for the cassette (many have removable bags) you can use it for all the 'goodies' you buy! 😄

<Broken link removed>

<Broken link removed>

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I just carry it. It’s not very heavy (20kg tops) and saves all the noise of pulling it along. Also the wheels don’t get covered in mud.
Depending on the emptying point I can see less "mud" could be a good thing!
I'd go with the foldings trolley idea.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I don't understand the addition of wheels.
Previously the cassette would hold ??litres
Now it holds ??-wheel location litres.
So it weighs less and it has wheels.
Please give me back the capacity and do away with the wheels which I never use.
OK, so I am a super fit 75 year old!! but would rather carry the cassette rather than attempt to pull the unstable cart across an undulating camping site.

Geoff
I would hardly class carrying 20kg as super fit but that is funny😂 😂 .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I would suggest putting 2 go faster stripes on. Helping in more ways than 1.
On the cassette or Mr Wombles? 😄

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm sorry, I've just gotta say it ... when there are already things out there purpose made to carry things why try ....

inventing the wheel! 😄

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I would hardly class carrying 20kg as super fit but that is funny😂 😂 .
Trouble is by the time you get to the disposal point you'd have one arm a hell of a lot longer than the other and a lop-sided walk too! 😄

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Unfortunately it won’t work, the size of wheel determines the cassette is tight to the flap valve, any increase is size will stop the cassette from going fully home, conversely when the plastic wheels wear down then you have problems with leaks,
I always thought the cassette itself sits on the base of the toilet frame, the wheels do not support it when in the van 🤔

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Wish I had the strength for that but I do carry it back. Have to get John to carry it at the moment as waiting for a new blade mechanism, should have arrived last Monday, we are away tomorrow.😡

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Didnt the later versions go to bigger wheels ? How about modding a golf trolley shouldn't be much of a problem ? even folds up :)
trolley.jpg

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Trouble is by the time you get to the disposal point you'd have one arm a hell of a lot longer than the other and a lop-sided walk too! 😄

I am toying with the idea of "A" framing one of these...

Funny-Toilet-Bike-Picture.jpg

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
I’ve designed a rucksack which holds the cassette and it fits neatly onto my wife’s back.
She has absolutely no problem with 20+ kg.also leaves her hands free to carry the BBQ down to the washing up area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back