Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
Hi,
got the motorhome washed by drive thru handwash thing other day and bloke was crawling along roof cleaning it.
I never realized they would take the weight of a person crawling along it and was canny shocked thought he would fall thru.
Is this safe to do so?
Brings me to my next question: - What do people carry around ladder wise to access the roof or high level for the odd jobs and cleaning. Motorhome is 2.7m to ridge.
Mines parked in storage and I have lots of room to carry a ladder should need be.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
A lot seem to use telescopic ladders to carry around.
I don't bother, just clean roof at home once a year using A ladder
So far I've never needed to access roof whilst traveling, although I do have a fitted ladder on the back if necessary

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
He wasn't washing your roof, he was checking out access opertunities for his buddies still over the channel.

Joking aside
I would never let the handwash boys within 30 foot of my Motor Home let alone the roof
The chemicals they use are industrial strength and most often under diluted for their purpose
You risk serious damage to your van IMHO
I have seen far too many hand prints and finger prints burned into car paintwork from workers over indulgent use of TFR

Not all roofs are suitable for walking on those that are have restriction on where it is safe and wise.
Roof light seals are at risk of cracking and leaking if not given a wide birth
Im confident of looking at cars and vans and picking out most that have used the drive in hand wash's

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I have repurposed a loft ladder. 2 section sliding aluminium. Have added a ply pad on swivels at top. I cover pad when in use to stop marking van wall. When closed fits across van in underfloor locker. Not suited for heavy use but there in case....

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Well our N&B roof is the same double aluminium sandwich as the body walls so is structural, needing no further support. Also we have a fixed ladder which in itself indicates roof is safe to walk on. I have done it many times and there is not the slightest sign of flexing.

Geoff

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The modern trend in construction methods of dense foam sandwiched between a plastic/fiberglass outer and a thin board inner are more than capable of taking a persons weight.. most coachbuilts are constructed that way now..
Chausson had a picture of a car sitting on the toof of their vans :LOL:..
You would be more likely to cause damage climbing around the roof of a panel van conversion.... if you didnt take some precautions to spread the load.
Andy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No problems walking on the roof of mine. If the roof is bonded and the insulation is a PU foam should be OK. A lot of UK vans only have polystyrene insulation which is nowhere near as strong.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Our old Autosleeper had a rear ladder & safe panels marked on the roof to let you know where you could walk, its was all area's except the luton, which was a lot thinner that the rest of the roof.

Next time your sitting in one of those motorway service stations with the food served in the walkway over the road, look carefully at the area about the front screen on motorhomes & caravans.
The ones which are travelling fairly quickly are buckling right in due to wind resistance, I kid you not, I was shocked when I first noticed this phenomenon.
They appear to spring back into shape as they slow back down but, I'd always wondered why my caravan roof showed signed of creasing which I only noticed when polishing the roof annually.

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
I have repurposed a loft ladder. 2 section sliding aluminium. Have added a ply pad on swivels at top. I cover pad when in use to stop marking van wall. When closed fits across van in underfloor locker. Not suited for heavy use but there in case....
Any photos:)?

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
Our old Autosleeper had a rear ladder & safe panels marked on the roof to let you know where you could walk, its was all area's except the luton, which was a lot thinner that the rest of the roof.

Next time your sitting in one of those motorway service stations with the food served in the walkway over the road, look carefully at the area about the front screen on motorhomes & caravans.
The ones which are travelling fairly quickly are buckling right in due to wind resistance, I kid you not, I was shocked when I first noticed this phenomenon.
They appear to spring back into shape as they slow back down but, I'd always wondered why my caravan roof showed signed of creasing which I only noticed when polishing the roof annually.
Wow ,screw clambering on the roof then...
What did you use to get rid of the crap on the roof. Mine badly needs doing, 4 years old soon. Never done.

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
The modern trend in construction methods of dense foam sandwiched between a plastic/fiberglass outer and a thin board inner are more than capable of taking a persons weight.. most coachbuilts are constructed that way now..
Chausson had a picture of a car sitting on the toof of their vans :LOL:..
You would be more likely to cause damage climbing around the roof of a panel van conversion.... if you didnt take some precautions to spread the load.
Andy.
Aye it's a Chausson.
So ok to kneel around the edges?

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
He wasn't washing your roof, he was checking out access opertunities for his buddies still over the channel.

Joking aside
I would never let the handwash boys within 30 foot of my Motor Home let alone the roof
The chemicals they use are industrial strength and most often under diluted for their purpose
You risk serious damage to your van IMHO
I have seen far too many hand prints and finger prints burned into car paintwork from workers over indulgent use of TFR

Not all roofs are suitable for walking on those that are have restriction on where it is safe and wise.
Roof light seals are at risk of cracking and leaking if not given a wide birth
Im confident of looking at cars and vans and picking out most that have used the drive in hand wash's
I know I know, it was a one off and I was desperate. I can't get the Motorhome near my house so need some ideas for washing it on a site.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Wow ,screw clambering on the roof then...
What did you use to get rid of the crap on the roof. Mine badly needs doing, 4 years old soon. Never done.

i use.............

The missus..........................:Eeek::imoutahere:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What do people carry around ladder wise to access the roof or high level for the odd jobs and cleaning.

I'm sorry, but it's a very sad man who washes his van roof while out in the van...or even washes the van come to that, maybe a wipe over on the rear end but any more..... Oh dear me.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I use the BP station,s jet wash on Jarrow Rd big bays, wash our 8.5m long moho there no bother could be a option for you (y)

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm sorry, but it's a very sad man who washes his van roof while out in the van...or even washes the van come to that, maybe a wipe over on the rear end but any more..... Oh dear me.

ooh er missus.............:whistle:

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
Thanks for your help and input.

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
I use the BP station,s jet wash on Jarrow Rd big bays, wash our 8.5m long moho there no bother could be a option for you (y)
Cheers I'll have a look. I've got literally no where to park at home and they don't allow you to do anything in the storage to the moho. And worth my work/time restraints I have to clean it when I collect for a trip or en-route.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Cheers I'll have a look. I've got literally no where to park at home and they don't allow you to do anything in the storage to the moho. And worth my work/time restraints I have to clean it when I collect for a trip or en-route.

Yeah thats my problem to I wash it on the way back then put it in to storage.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
The dethleffs had a roof ladder and roof rack fitted. Interesting to view the roof in strong sunlight and see the dimples left by footprints. Luckily sold now.
Jim

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My mate carries everything & cleans & polishes even when just stopping for a break. Even the alloys get wiped .
I woke one morning wondering what I could hear & he was cleaning the alloys on the car before going out.(y)
I must admit there is nothing like a clean , sparkling vehicle. In the Uk most really need doing on a daily basis.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Mine has a fixed roof ladder which I use to access roof for cleaning. In my view it’s a bit of an OTT accessory,but maybe it was the fashion in mid naughties.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
i wash the roof every month mainly because the solar panel is there and it is parked near a main road so gets quite mucky, usually with a telescopic brush but once a year i will get up there and give it a good sponge clean
i would suggest caution with a garage jetwash as it is industrial, non adjustable and will do a good job of ruining all your seals if you are not very careful

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Mine has a fixed roof ladder which I use to access roof for cleaning. In my view it’s a bit of an OTT accessory,but maybe it was the fashion in mid naughties.

So has mine, and it's a pain in the backside - I ended up making my own ladder cover, to help put off any thieving scrotes from climbing up there. I wish it didn't have the ladder, but I can't remove it without leaving big holes. It's not even any use!

I've never risked climbing on the roof of my van - not sure how strong it is (it is plastic outer layer + polystyrene + very thin board inner layer) and I'm neither small nor svelte, 19 stone of me clambering about doesn't seem like a good idea! To clean the roof I use a stepladder at home, plus a brush on a pole - or I have even used my scaffold tower to get really good access before now. If the scaffold tower platform is at roof height I can lean across from it to do skylight repairs even in the middle of the van.

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
I bought a really good quality telescopic ladder in the end. Lightweight and fits the moho perfectly. Ideal for cleaning and maintenance.

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
Bought that waterless wash stuff, total garbage! need a full bottle and a thousand rags...
Back to finding an external water outlet/tap for one of those fancy water saving wash brushes at the motorhome show.
Anyone sourced anything like that before?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back