La Rochelle aires not there anymore (1 Viewer)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
It says it in the title. Awkward to get into and when you get there (all the aires 2016 version) you will join loads of French people in motorhomes checking their satnavs and scratching their heads.
The ones we tried were by the harbour and the one by a sports centre. There is a dam decent Ostrich farm about 5 miles north which is france passion. Just a field which was very solid and about a mile walk down to the coast with loads of those oyster huts and magnificent sunsets. Boulangerie and small shop in the town. Marsilly

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
2 years ago we used one which is part of the park & Ride.
The Aire parking included park and ride tickets. The harbour Aire was rammed (August).

The park and ride was "close" but La Rochelle is such a beautiful place you'll want to be out all day.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The one I stayed at was next to the park, where the wild party was :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
This is the aire which is listed on the La Rochelle tourist office website:

6 Boulevard Aristide Rondeau, 17000 La Rochelle
Latitude : 46.158056 | Longitude : -1.187168

If this is the one which you refer to as no longer being there, reply back and let me know and I will contact the tourist office to find out why it's closed and will post their reply on here for you.

I'm going to La Rochelle in August and planned to stay on an aire (out of the All the Aires book) so taking a vested interest in this post.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We also stayed at the Park and Ride Aires - the bus ticket in, included in the fee made it really good value. (y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've never used anything other than the Ave Jean Moulin P&R aire for La Rochelle, although I'm aware of the two others. Never had any bother getting a spot there.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008

Latitude : 46.158056 | Longitude : -1.187168.
@GAVLAD Said this is still listed on official TI site ..see this map for location ..reference 5 on map. (y)

Attachments

• la rochelle.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 30

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
I've never used anything other than the Ave Jean Moulin P&R aire for La Rochelle, although I'm aware of the two others. Never had any bother getting a spot there.
In 2013 we stayed at the same aire (N46°09.188, W001°08.399). No electric there but a very good location next to the Park & Ride. We paid 10.50 euros for one night but that includes return bus tickets for up to 4 people into the centre of La Rochelle. (Town parking bans motorhomes). Entry to the aire is closed on a Sunday but you are able to exit. Had a good night's sleep there and La Rochelle was well worth seeing.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
..plus you're parked on grass, usually with a bit of space at the side. The only disadvantage I know of is the late night bing bong platform announcements wafting over from the nearby station.

When you get your ticket at the booth, they ask for your reg number. If your French alphabet isn't up to much, have it already written on a bit of paper.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
The one I stayed at was next to the park, where the wild party was :Eeek:
Us too. A party in the rec ground, a van turned up, offloaded a load of beer, a few minibuses full of youngsters, guitars and stuff followed, one or two driven by men wearing dog collars. They were all well behaved, and in the morning the council turned up in the early hours and there was no sign of rubbish left.
The dog collars could have been appropriate because the aires itself turned out to be a dogging site. We didn't join in! It has since closed, can't think why.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Ah well, thats one of the aires I remember well, it was packed full when I was there.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Us too. A party in the rec ground, a van turned up, offloaded a load of beer, a few minibuses full of youngsters, guitars and stuff followed, one or two driven by men wearing dog collars. They were all well behaved, and in the morning the council turned up in the early hours and there was no sign of rubbish left.
The dog collars could have been appropriate because the aires itself turned out to be a dogging site. We didn't join in! It has since closed, can't think why.
Was it run by the church?
All sorts could have been going on then! :LOL:

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Was it run by the church?
All sorts could have been going on then! :LOL:
No, it was two separate events, one on the rec ground, seemed to be well organised and well behaved, and the other on the aires. When we pulled up there were just two other vans and our friends were already there. We were a little concerned about the event on the rec, and asked the next door van about security. He said it was ok, the police regularly drive by. Later, a very statuesque lady drove up in her van, backed into the trees to the accompaniment of the snapping of overhead branches and trees. It sounded expensive. I went over to sympathise, she was unconcerned about the damage. It was only after we settled down for the night when we realised that something was up. Cars and motorbikes were driving round, shining their lights on our vans. Nobody troubled us, and we spent a peaceful night. Even the music festival was quiet. It was only later that we realised what it was all about.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

Latitude : 46.158056 | Longitude : -1.187168

If this is the one which you refer to as no longer being there, reply back and let me know and I will contact the tourist office to find out why it's closed and will post their reply on here for you.

I'm going to La Rochelle in August and planned to stay on an aire (out of the All the Aires book) so taking a vested interest in this post.
Oooh no. we werent there. Other side of the harbour for one of them near teh aquarium and then next to a sports centre which was teh one where everyone was bemused

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back