evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The growth in generator use is really disturbing and completely anti-social in my view. Using a generator on an Aire or Ralley is completely inconsiderate.

In general, being parked next to a motorhome with a generator is my idea of hell. While the occupants of a generator powered motorhome enjoy their TV, the rest of us have to live with the continuous drone.

For the cost of these things would not an investment in solar power be a better alternative?

I appreciate this will go down like a lead balloon but that is my opinion.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
The growth in generator use is really disturbing and completely anti-social in my view. Using a generator on an Aire or Ralley is completely inconsiderate.

In general, being parked next to a motorhome with a generator is my idea of hell. While the occupants of a generator powered motorhome enjoy their TV, the rest of us have to live with the continuous drone.

For the cost of these things would not an investment in solar power be a better alternative?

Bin the solar and buy a genny, join in with the rest of us antisocial, b's.

Why is it everybody is always wanting to ban something :Nowink:

Jim
:Wacko:

Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
The day I can use a Solar Panel to boil a Kettle I will take them seriously!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
In my stay in France met a guy with a new MH and "X" kW of solar panels which was going to run everything. Day 2 after no sun he was going back to buy a generator.

Its about sensible use of the geni and I have no time for those that run them constantly

Edit I would add that generators were not a problem on the aires we visitted

Last edited:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp

Can't you use gas to boil a kettle?

Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp

Can't you use gas to boil a kettle?
Good point! lol.
I suppose I am biased. I am on the Gennie side at Planet, we did steal a Planet Solar panel for the Gennie van to keep the beer fridge cool at the shows. Problem was after less than a day the battery was dead, in sunshine at Southampton boat show. Fridge only ran on 12v so not a big amount of consumption. :Doh:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Lets be reasonable here.

How is SWMBO supposed to have a hot shower,blow dry her hair, use her curling tongs whilst cooking our dinner in the micro wave, while we keep warm with the blown air and our feet up watching the telly or reading by the light of our mega watt lights. :roflmto:

And then after all that we have to put up with the sliding door on a panel van banging closed. Theres no worse sound. :Doh:

Jim
:roflmto:

leeks

Free Member
Sep 23, 2009
northumberland
Funster No
Exp
3 years
I bought one 6 months ago, works great. Anything less than £400 and you have a good price.
Leeks.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
And then after all that we have to put up with the sliding door on a panel van banging closed. Theres no worse sound. :Doh:

Jim
:roflmto:

Now aint that a fact .. when I see one park close I cringe, I know I'm in for a sleepless night..

why don't they use the cab door and why do they need to go to the site loo at midnight instead of using the porta poti .. ?

slam ..slam .. slam .. :Doh:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years

A lot of people would think that is their idea of hell,:RollEyes:gennies can be used responsibly just as vans can be.:thumb:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Good point! lol.
I suppose I am biased. I am on the Gennie side at Planet, we did steal a Planet Solar panel for the Gennie van to keep the beer fridge cool at the shows. Problem was after less than a day the battery was dead, in sunshine at Southampton boat show. Fridge only ran on 12v so not a big amount of consumption. :Doh:

you really need to open your eyes to the advantages of gas

Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I know gas is usefull, however I dont want to carry it on the works vans. I still think going back on thread, do you not think its down to Etiquette for Generators?
Going to back to Kipor, not a bad buy it makes me laugh though, 2 months ago they were being sold for £570. I would make sure you can get spares before you commit.
The price is almost down to wholesale cost price on Kipor now.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Mine only lasted 5 hours before it packed up.

Then I put some more petrol in, seemple!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we have the 1000 kipor and it gets a lot of use.::bigsmile: In the van and at home running the hedge trimmer, Had it 2 and a 1/2 years and cant fault them.........::bigsmile: .........Money well spent. Had a solar panel since May.:cry: And for the last 2 months and maybe next 3 months it will be a waste of space........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky: Bob.

Last edited:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Now I know what to do when parked next to someone with a generator. I'll either sabotage it when the ocuupants are watching the TV:ROFLMAO: or continuously open and close my panel van door in the knowledge that it is annoying everyone else.:roflmto:

I still think generators are an abomination but I've enjoyed some of the replies.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now I know what to do when parked next to someone with a generator. I'll either sabotage it when the ocuupants are watching the TV:ROFLMAO: or continuously open and close my panel van door in the knowledge that it is annoying everyone else.:roflmto:

I still think generators are an abomination but I've enjoyed some of the replies.

yep.....everyone, including the anti-genny brigade.
i would just turn the tv volume up to cover the tin can-slam noise::bigsmile:

ps...take it you wont be going to the new year meet then.....no hookup, no sun for solar and 99% will run gennies. :thumb:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Why doesn't someone invent an electrically powered generator- it would be near silent in operation??

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
S'right P.J., I've always been a fan of perpetual motion, a moving target is far harder to hit. Wake up, laddie!

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

We have only ever ran our genny once on a campsite. Simply because we havent had to.

The one time that we did run it we had no EHU. We were camped next to the family from hell who thought it was a great idea to stay up until the early hours of the morning havin a party, kids and all.

When we woke in the morning it was absolutley freezing but out of due regard for the family from hell we waited until 10-45 am before turning the genny on.

It was on for about 10mins while we got warm and cooked some breakfast.

The family from hell still werent up when we went out for a walk.

That was a bank holiday weekend and its the first and only time I ever got the flu. Now I'd turn it on like a shot, anytime.

Jim
:moon:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
So in order to avoid getting the flu we must all go out and buy a generator. That's the best yet! :ROFLMAO:

Clearly you guys don't get it! It must be me. :cry:

Why I'm always considerate to my neighbours at home and on campsites is clearly a character flaw. Perhaps I too should make as much noise as possible and say to hell with everyone else. As long as I've got the TV and the wife has got enough power for her curling tongs and hair dryer we're All Right Jack. :thumb:

All this is said partly tongue in cheek but there is an element of truth in it.:winky:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
So in order to avoid getting the flu we must all go out and buy a generator. That's the best yet! :ROFLMAO:

Clearly you guys don't get it! It must be me. :cry:

Why I'm always considerate to my neighbours at home and on campsites is clearly a character flaw. Perhaps I too should make as much noise as possible and say to hell with everyone else. As long as I've got the TV and the wife has got enough power for her curling tongs and hair dryer we're All Right Jack. :thumb:

All this is said partly tongue in cheek but there is an element of truth in it.:winky:

READ THE POST :Doh:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
READ THE POST

I did.

To summarise. When on a campsite without EHU you used to use your generator sparingly. Once you parked next to the family from hell. You were very considerate by not turning on you generator until 10.45 am and then only for 10 minutes. Because you didn't use your generator you caught the flu. Now you use it all the time.

Isn't that what you said or am I missing something? That seems to me that you are suggesting there is a correlation between your flu and the generator which I found hilarious.

If you are parked next to a family from hell they deserve the noise from your generator. But what about campers who like to get away from it all and are looking for peace and quiet.?To me that turns you into the family from hell because you are imposing your noise on me.

Perhaps we should leave it there because I'm clearly fighting a lost cause where consideration for others does not even enter the mindsight. I seem to be in a minority of one on here and clearly have lost the argument.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
READ THE POST

I did.

To summarise. When on a campsite without EHU you used to use your generator sparingly. Once you parked next to the family from hell. You were very considerate by not turning on you generator until 10.45 am and then only for 10 minutes. Because you didn't use your generator you caught the flu. Now you use it all the time.

Isn't that what you said or am I missing something? That seems to me that you are suggesting there is a correlation between your flu and the generator which I found hilarious.

If you are parked next to a family from hell they deserve the noise from your generator. But what about campers who like to get away from it all and are looking for peace and quiet.?To me that turns you into the family from hell because you are imposing your noise on me.

Perhaps we should leave it there because I'm clearly fighting a lost cause where consideration for others does not even enter the mindsight. I seem to be in a minority of one on here and clearly have lost the argument.

Hi evans88, no you are probably not in the minority :thumb: it is more than likely people without genny's are not feeling the need to defend them or there use :ROFLMAO:
I think it a little sad that they cannot survive a weekend without using one :cry:
We regularly go 3 nights without a problem before using a site for hook up or should I say toilet emptying and water filing which is more in line with our needs :ROFLMAO: rather than battery charging :RollEyes:
terry

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
READ THE POST

I did.

Yes you did misread the post and are still misinterprating it.

There never was an argument to win or lose.

Jim
:Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi evans88, no you are probably not in the minority :thumb: it is more than likely people without genny's are not feeling the need to defend them or there use :ROFLMAO:
I think it a little sad that they cannot survive a weekend without using one :cry:
We regularly go 3 nights without a problem before using a site for hook up or should I say toilet emptying and water filing which is more in line with our needs :ROFLMAO: rather than battery charging :RollEyes:
terry

Terry, I didnt have a battery to charge. This was our very first time out in the uk and the battery was dead. My rv was still running on 110 Volt and I didnt have any other scource of power.

What would you have done under the same circumstances.?

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back