Kicking myself!! - Deep scratch in side (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
Morning all,

So moved house recently, lots of bushed etc on drive, had to move the MoHo this morning for the builders, thought I had enough room and was concentrating on the bushes, thought I have caught a branch but it was the corner of the carport :mad: Gutted, deep long scratch in the side of the MoHo!!

Hindsight is a get thing, should have got the builders to move there van:swear:

Now this is not one to buff out, luckily no major dent but at start it has chip the coating, what do I do, can it be filled then buffed. Think gel coat filling, but it might stand out more as would be a bright white area or do I just leave :crying1:
IMG_20210319_081150.jpgIMG_20210319_081156.jpgIMG_20210319_081205.jpgIMG_20210319_081214.jpg

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Treat the chip then see what it looks like.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Ouch, fill it and then get a local sign company to create a decal that matches the current design to cover all of the filler. Put the same decal on the other undamaged side, sit back, open a beer and admire.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just leave it, your annoyance has already peaked today when you did it 🤔👍

no point getting crosser about the cost of repair or worse not liking the repair when done

I call my similar ‘wounds’ on ours ‘character’ 😁👍

you will barely notice it next year 🌈

OP
OP
Rjcamper
Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
Thanks all, I was think about a decal for the side once filled, going to be a lot of beer tonight.

So would gel coat be best? I have some spare from the old MoHo, thinking taping up along the scratch and fill in, but just do the front and rear where it has chipped the coating, leave the scratch as this will be covered?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It certainly wants some gelcoat in it as the first part of the scratch is right through to the glass fibre, if you were lucky with a colour match you could get away just filling the scratch and a quick polish.

Sorry Rjcamper you posted while I was thinking, not sure about taping it up as you want the gelcoat just in the scratch and level so you can do the very minimum of polishing back, I would try to scrape some gel in with an old credit card.

Last edited:

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Thanks all, I was think about a decal for the side once filled, going to be a lot of beer tonight.

So would gel coat be best? I have some spare from the old MoHo, thinking taping up along the scratch and fill in, but just do the front and rear where it has chipped the coating, leave the scratch as this will be covered?

The scratch will probably show through if not filled.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
In my early days of driving I was well known by my mates for having a massive head on collision in my first car. A year later, new car and ran into the back of a friends car. I had a huge bright green decal made with an arrow to the bump and the words ‘OUCH, I DID IT AGAIN!’

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
well known by my mates for having a massive head on collision in my first car. A year later, new car and ran into the back of a friends car. I had a huge bright green decal made with an arrow to the bump and the words ‘OUCH, I DID IT AGAIN!’
It'd be better to do everyone a favour with:

'Accident prone. Keep away'.

:giggle:

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Gutted for you. I would try my best to fill it. Then plan B decal and matching one the other side. Good luck.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Gutted for you. I would try my best to fill it. Then plan B decal and matching one the other side. Good luck.
One side's enough.
I couldn't get just one lost wheel trim so instead of forking out for an expensive OEM whole set I bought a much cheaper pair that I saw in a Halfords 'Special offers' bin which I fitted on the same side. No-one ever noticed the difference.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We all do it at some time you are not alone.
Another idea get one of the mobile car repair guy to do it. They will fill it and spray it in most of them do a really good job these days.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Morning all,

So moved house recently, lots of bushed etc on drive, had to move the MoHo this morning for the builders, thought I had enough room and was concentrating on the bushes, thought I have caught a branch but it was the corner of the carport :mad: Gutted, deep long scratch in the side of the MoHo!!

Hindsight is a get thing, should have got the builders to move there van:swear:

Now this is not one to buff out, luckily no major dent but at start it has chip the coating, what do I do, can it be filled then buffed. Think gel coat filling, but it might stand out more as would be a bright white area or do I just leave :crying1:
View attachment 474800View attachment 474801View attachment 474802View attachment 474803
have another look today, as now you have calmed down it's not as bad as you first thought, things always look better in the morning
Hope you are feeling better and it will no stop you having fun just another conversation piece which could start like this....

I was on a very narrow road when this huge truck crane came around the corner on my side of the road I swerved but to safe the lives of my family and stop the MH falling down a 1000meter drop had to clip the tree branch ..........and so forth add or take away depending upon how much beer has been drunk

How is the car port ?

seriously though really do hop it looks better today :(

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I feel your pain - almost brand new company car and did this reversing to let a lorry exit a goods yard in January ..... reversed into an invisible tow hitch on a trailer for a large boat (couldn't see tow hitch against black fence beind it in pouting rain)...... AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH !
IMG_0039.jpg

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I had crazing cracks/scratches from an overhead branch, it worked for me but it's on the roof and the white I used was a good match. It's expensive for a tube about the size of araldite. What ever product you decide on It would be best to do just a small section just in case it sticks out.

The other option if someone hasn't said so already mentioned it is one of the mobile scratch repairers, but it will be way more expensive.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Or you could use it as an excuse to upgrade to a new shinier model. Some would

:eek: :eek: