key problems (1 Viewer)

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
I’ve got a fiat ducato with a 2-button fob key (lock / unlock). I got a spare key cut by an auto locksmith (for a hefty price) but now one of the original keys doesn’t work. It won’t unlock the door or start the engine – it just turns over.

Its quite a coincidence. Do you think the new key has ‘taken the code’ of the old key? Do I really have to go back to an auto locksmith again? If I give them the ‘secret number’ could they do something without the van being present?

Thanks

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Does the key need a new battery? I've never had to change mine yet but the locks are electronic so the key needs power to transmit etc so there must be a battery to power it.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I had a spare key cut and programmed recently to hide away on our MH, and when the guy was programming the new key, he wanted all the other ignition keys which were programmed back into the system.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The chip in the key fob for the immobiliser is RFID (passive) and does not require power from the battery in the key fob. If there was no battery in the key fob and the immobiliser chip was programmed correctly, it would start the engine.

OP
OP
russ the rambler
Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
thanks - in that case it does seem like quite a coincidence that the original key immobiliser chip has suddenly become 'unprogrammed' at the same time the new key was done?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Did the locksmith have all of the keys, when he programmed the new one? The engine starting system is separate to the door unlocking. Unless every key that you want to use is introduced to the vehicle during programming of the new key, existing keys will be wiped from the system. I'm pretty sure that once a key previously known to the system has been deleted, it can't be programmed back again though.

OP
OP
russ the rambler
Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
yes there is...the key just died for reasons unknown, according to my auto locksmith, so I got another new one

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
yes there is...the key just died for reasons unknown, according to my auto locksmith, so I got another new one
The ability to start the vehicle and the remote locking are two separate systems. Never say never, but almost impossible for both to fail together, and the engine starting element is an inert transponder which is only likely to fail if damaged.

My money is still on your locksmith forgetting to introduce all existing keys when programming the new key to the van. Unfortunately, once that's been done, you can't reuse any that have been omitted.

OP
OP
russ the rambler
Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
i completely agree with you. I left 2 sets of keys when he did the new one but he was adamant there was only one. Then he tried the key and his gadget said it didn’t work - he didn’t go into any reasons why. So then i had a choice between a call out charge and no key at all, or another hefty bill and a key that actually works, so I went for the latter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back