Just camp in my garden: new websites offer private pitches (1 Viewer)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Another option is always worth having 👍🏻.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Thoughts
Our thoughts must be more aligned than I thought Mr ShiftZZ, While out driving this morning I spotted an RV parked in a garden which looked very lived in. It has been there for some time, years rather than days. I thought...when I get home I will ask the forum if this is legal to live in a motorhome which is parked on your private land and what do I find but ShiftZZ asking a similar related question.:unsure::giggle:
So is it legal to stay in your motorhome which is parked on your own drive or not. If yes then your motorhome could become an income source could it not. (y)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

£100 a night - no electricty

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
So is it legal to stay in your motorhome which is parked on your own drive or not. If yes then your motorhome could become an income source could it not. (y)
Of course it's legal to stay in your motorhome on your own drive, it's when it's lived in that becomes an issue. I did read somewhere that if you did live in a caravan on your own property that had your house on it and you had at least one meal per day in your house, then you weren't living in the caravan, you were just 'staying' in it, though I don't know how legally accurate that is ....

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Rule of thumb for many councils, if a caravan is used as a spare bedroom, then it's ignored. But if it's lived in, ie the toilet and kitchen in the van are used, then expect it to get it's own council tax bill.

Last edited:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I think its a good idea. Id generally imagine its mor secure too than complete "wilding"

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
From the debates in Parliament / HoL recorded in Hansard, one of the problems the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 was aimed at (although not specifically referred to in the Act itself) was the renting out of caravans in private gardens after WW2, as long term housing. Some householders were coining it with several old caravans rented out in a private garden, often a local eyesore and bad for public health too.

It seems to me that some homeowners are looking to use the loophole in paragraph 2 of the First Schedule of the 1960 Act, that allows one caravan to stay for up to 2 nights, subject to a limit of 28 nights in a 12 month period, without a site licence. Edit - the definition of "caravan" for the purposes of this Act includes Motorhomes and Campervans, as we know.

"Of course, unlike wild camping this means there is a cost: between £25 and £100 a night." Bargain! Or not. Lots of mugs out there ...

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Funny thing is when I offered exactly that with EHU and outside toilet for free in return for watering the tubs each day I had no takers even in Cornwall during August!
Wouldn't having up to five vans be allowed as you don't need planning for a CL or am I wrong?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Funny thing is when I offered exactly that with EHU and outside toilet for free in return for watering the tubs each day I had no takers even in Cornwall during August!
Wouldn't having up to five vans be allowed as you don't need planning for a CL or am I wrong?
Didn't spot that driveway sitting offer & I'm on here more than I should be! That should have been popular so please don't let it put you off posting similar again - posts are often not seen as forum is so fast moving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back