JUST BOUGHT A STAND ALONE 100W PANEL (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I have just bought one ! ! My van has a 100w up top, but the sergeant won't take any more than that.
I just need to get a couple of take off's from both leasure batts run to a plug in the skirt, so I can plug the panel into it as required.
SO, my question is:- A simple "cigarette type" male and female would do, but a bit "naff".... I would rather have a waterproof one with a closure flap/plug on the female side fitted in the skirt. The male plug end will be stored inside the folding panels, so is not so important.
I noticed that my 100w up top only does about 3amps max, in Winter sun.. Whereas one angled to the sun, does twice that. Hence my purchase. And it only cost ÂŁ140.
The legs are a bit flimsy and give an angle to the floor of 30 deg, when I will need an angle of 60 to the floor, but I can fix that with better legs. (not me ) For the panel ! !
Help appreciated.
Mitch.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I spliced a fused cigarette type plug with a LED power indicator to our folding solar panel and then fitted a waterproof socket into the side of our van near the hab battery and it works a treat plus the SP lead is long enough that I can position the panel around the van to follow the sun. One of our cab cigarette sockets is a permanent feed so I can top up the cab battery if needed.

socket.jpg

This is the waterproof socket I used.

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks TonyIdle. But discontinued now.
No probs, Paul (CCC) has sent me a link to the one I want.
Thanks Paul.
Mitch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The Sargent Solar Panel regulator is rated to 10 Amps. (I too have the Sargent System with the factory fitted S.P. regulator). I am of the view you can safety have 200 W of Solar Panel feeding into this regulator and you will never hit the 10 Amp limit. I spoke directly with Sargent to see if they had a bigger regulator and was advised this was the largest for my system.

I have done something similar to you. I have a 125 W on the roof and have purchased one of these, which comes with a connector that connects to one set of battery terminals and a snap connector to the S.P. cable. I have also purchased an extension lead so I can position the S.P. on either side of the motorhome to ensure it's always in the sun.
As a matter of interest, the maximum I have ever received from the roof is just under 5.0 A (on average in good sunlight 4.0A) and more or less the same for the suitcase S.P.

The way your tackling your connections make sense although you only need to connect to one battery and not both. (assuming they are correctly wired together).

https://www.photonicuniverse.com/in...ny-other-12V-system---German-solar-cells.html

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for info Phil. If I had known about the 10amp reg in the Sergant 500 PSU, I may have put another 100w up top, but that, with hindsight, may have put me too close to the max 10amp on a good day ! !
So happy with the 100w fold-up I've bought.
Reference connecting to the 2 batteries, it must be connected to the Neg of one battery and the Pos of the other battery. ! ! ! It does work the other way, but is not the most efficient way. (apparently)
This I only discovered by looking up " 2 batteries 1 charger " on Tinternet. Simple to change if you have it the other way round.
I've just got to "fettle" some new longer legs now, as the ones it came with, hold the panel at 30 deg to the floor and I want the panel at 60 deg to the floor to get it at 90 deg to the sun, as we want it mostly for Winter use.
Thanks for your reply.
Mitch.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I too have seen technical web pages that recommend using +&- from different batteries and other technical papers that say it makes no difference providing the batteries are correctly connected together in order to act to act as one battery. If batteries are close together with good access your approach would not be incorrect. I have both an inverter and my suitcase S.P connected to just one battery in my bank and everything performs well.
I find it amazing your getting 6 Amps out of your 100 W stand alone SP. I paid top dollar for my 120 W and doubt if I exceed 5 Amps on the brightest of days.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
If you want a proper waterproof plug and socket I would recommend Bulging Buccaneer readily available from many sources just Google. They come in all types from 2pin to coax. Both plug and socket can be protected by a screw on cap

Broken Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I too have seen technical web pages that recommend using +&- from different batteries and other technical papers that say it makes no difference providing the batteries are correctly connected together in order to act to act as one battery. If batteries are close together with good access your approach would not be incorrect. I have both an inverter and my suitcase S.P connected to just one battery in my bank and everything performs well.
I find it amazing your getting 6 Amps out of your 100 W stand alone SP. I paid top dollar for my 120 W and doubt if I exceed 5 Amps on the brightest of days.
As an aside, we have 3xpanels and often see 18+ amps on all the meters ( regulator has amp read out, a victron unit, and the Sargent control panel )

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
deleted bad idea se next post

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK

Astro

Free Member
Jul 17, 2016
North Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago I143
Exp
I'm keeping that. It'll be handy even if I never use it.
I wouldn't recommend using a standard 240v EHU or 110V yellow plug and socket. That's just an accident waiting to happen and those connectors are simply far too big for the job required.
I'd go with what @maxi77 said. Use a small water proof connector rated for the job.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
why not just use a trailer board connector socket in a ehu box and plug you only nead two wires centre one earth and it water proof
and will fit in a EHU BOX
12v.jpg

12V2.jpg

bill

Last edited:

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
why not just use a trailer board connector socket in a ehu box and plug you only nead two wires centre one earth and it water proof
and will fit in a EHU BOX
View attachment 176383
View attachment 176385
bill

Because proper plugs and sockets are better and also smaller, easier to fit and will do the job just fine. As a bonus you can use it as anexternal 12v point.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Because proper plugs and sockets are better and also smaller, easier to fit and will do the job just fine. As a bonus you can use it as anexternal 12v point.
thanks just ordered one of those be grate for the awning when we have the tv on when siting out learn something ne every day(y)
cheers bill

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I've already ordered one like CCC (Phil) has used.
But thanks all for your input.
I have also just ordered 10mtr of 4mm sq twin core cable (worked out by amperage, length and an acceptable EMF drop of 3%. ) for ÂŁ10 delivered.
Mitch.
PS. Other plugs are a bit too bulky to store safely inside the folded panel.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Just a thought. I don't want to rain on any one's parade but my solar regulator "turns off" when it senses another charging source eg. The engine or the mains charger.

So would the second suitcase SP make the first stop charging? That is to say, will they work together at the same time?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Just a thought. I don't want to rain on any one's parade but my solar regulator "turns off" when it senses another charging source eg. The engine or the mains charger.

So would the second suitcase SP make the first stop charging? That is to say, will they work together at the same time?
Your not the first person to ask this question or assume they will not work in tandem. However, in my case they do and I suspect this would be the case in most if not all situations. I established this was the case through my Bluetooth battery monitor.

(http://www.nasamarine.com/product/bm-1-bluetooth/).

I switched off the 240 V system and then measured the Amp's being fed into the battery from the roof S.P. then simply plugged in the suitcase SP with the snap connectors and the amount of Amps feeding the battery bank almost doubled. I took this with me on my recent 4 moth trip in Spain and Portugal and continued to monitor its performance and it worked great with no conflicts with my Sargent system or the other controller. In essence, I found it very helpful during the short days in Feb & March (Not on hook up). Once the days got longer the Roof SP managed on its own, with the odd day near the coast in Portugal where the sun was obscured. The suitcase SP sits perfectly in front of the front passenger seat (if not in use) when were parked up or behind it when we are on the move.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Ahh.. that's great if they work together then...
Nothing worse than kit not working as well you hoped. Puts you off trying some times...

Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
Had a long chat with the chaps from SARGENT at Auto-Trail factory rally about a second panel even if using a second SARGENT solar reg back to back with the original one the wiring then passes through the SARGENT power box which has a self resetting plastic fuse as they called it which is not strong enough to take any extra load if this blows or fails it will take out the pcb board plus probably some other wiring thus causing maybe a ÂŁ200 to ÂŁ300 repair or replacement needed so I decided to fit mppt to my second 150watt panel already have a 120 watt going through SARGENT which gives me smart charge to both engine and hab batts automatically
Cliff

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I'm not going through the Sargent, just straight into the 2 hab batteries.
The panel has its own regulator.
I KEEP reading that the solar panel (or any other charger) should be connected to the 2 batteries using the positive of one battery and the negative of the other, as this keeps a balanced charge to each. And NOT
(like when connected with both leads to ONE battery ) give more to one battery before giving it to the second.
So I THINK that is what I will do.
Anyone know any different.? ? ? For sure ? ? ? ?
All advice gratefully received..

Mitch.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'm not going through the Sargent, just straight into the 2 hab batteries.
The panel has its own regulator.
I KEEP reading that the solar panel (or any other charger) should be connected to the 2 batteries using the positive of one battery and the negative of the other, as this keeps a balanced charge to each. And NOT
(like when connected with both leads to ONE battery ) give more to one battery before giving it to the second.
So I THINK that is what I will do.
Anyone know any different.? ? ? For sure ? ? ? ?
All advice gratefully received..

Mitch.
As I said previously, I have connected my Suitcase Solar Panel to one of my two leisure batteries using this connector.

Both my leisure batteries are correctly wired together and in close proximity to each other. and are effectively act as one 12V 200AH battery. I fail to understand how one battery can behave independently from the other when they are correctly wired together and of the same type and rating.
I have also connected my 300W to the same battery and as best as I can tell, both attachments work as efficiently as possible and both batteries give same reading when measured with digital volt meter. I too was told by Sargent that damage could occur if more than 10 Amps are fed into the Solar Panel regulator and I honestly cant see that happening with 200W of Solar Panel. Incidentally, the regulator on my suitcase Solar Panel is a dam sight more sophisticated than my Sargent.
Details here
(10A waterproof solar charge controller included with the kit will protect your battery from over-charging (it measures state of charge of your battery several times per second). The controller has many other protection functions, such as stopping reverse current at night (from the battery back to the solar panel), incorrect polarity and short circuit protection. Controller uses PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) technology which increases charge acceptance and prolongs the life of your battery. PWM technology can also recover some lost battery capacity.

The kit is suitable for sealed, gel and flooded 12V batteries (solar charge controller allows battery type selection for maximum efficiency of charging). A user manual is included with the kit (advanced users will also benefit from a separate detailed manual for the solar charge controller).
Finally, IMO, If you have doubts about connecting to one battery only, you should connect to both.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I spliced a fused cigarette type plug with a LED power indicator to our folding solar panel and then fitted a waterproof socket into the side of our van near the hab battery and it works a treat plus the SP lead is long enough that I can position the panel around the van to follow the sun. One of our cab cigarette sockets is a permanent feed so I can top up the cab battery if needed.

View attachment 176023

This is the waterproof socket I used.
I have seen electricians warning against using cig connections for stuff like a 100W solar panel and the advice I have also seen is if you must, use the ones with gold plated connectors!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have seen electricians warning against using cig connections for stuff like a 100W solar panel and the advice I have also seen is if you must, use the ones with gold plated connectors!
Sounds a bit of over kill.
I use a CTEK MXS 7.0 and they are happy to supply a non gold plated cigar lighter plug harness to charge my cab battery through my non gold plated dash cigar lighter socket which is rated at 15 amps with no mention in the CTEK manual that that's a no no and if it was I would of hoped that CTEK and Fiat would have

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Although the cigar lighter socket I use externally is classed as waterproof, I see it as only waterproof when not in use and the rubber cap is plugging the hole.
I personally do not use my folding solar panel in the rain. If it's raining and I'm desperate to get some charge into the hab battery then I'll run the engine.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Although the cigar lighter socket I use externally is classed as waterproof, I see it as only waterproof when not in use and the rubber cap is plugging the hole.
I personally do not use my folding solar panel in the rain. If it's raining and I'm desperate to get some charge into the hab battery then I'll run the engine.

There are cigar lighter sockets that are supposedly waterproof with the correct plug in the socket. I have used them on boats with no problems. I use my portable panel in all weathers though with the present van the socket is in the garage.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I think a lot of the true waterproof fittings are a little bulky certainly for my folding panels but would likely suit other setups. I just went for the easy cheap option plus I can give the cab battery a boost via the cab cigar socket if necessary with my panel as I do not have a B2B setup.

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi again "PhilandMena".
Firstly thanks for the "Caravan chronicles" link....
If you read it, it explains why the charger (of any type) SHOULD be connected with one of the leads to the Positive of one battery and the other lead connected to the Negative of the other battery.
It appears to that if done wrongly, then one of the batteries becomes the "primary" battery and works harder, gets less charge and ages before the other.
So thanks again mate.
If anyone have it the wrong way round, then a simply switch one cable from one of the batteries to the other.
Sorry to "do this topic to death", but I may as well do it right from the start.
Just got to get a decent male plug from Maplins tomorrow and Bobs your Aunty...
(After I've wired up the batteries.)
Mitch.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back