Judging Levelling Ramps Alone (1 Viewer)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Something I've not considered until now, at those times where ramps have been needed, one of us drives, while the other guides the driver, making sure the van doesn't drop over the ramp.
I also like to use the serrated wheel chocks that came with my Fiamma ramps and which allows you to leave the handbrake off.

How do you manage by yourselves, is it just trial and error and do you ever drive over your ramps.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hi there. I posted this same question when I set off alone. You just get a feel for it and it doesn't take long before you get the hang of it. I actually prefer it now to someone helping me using those variety of hand signals that people choose to use.

And yes, I've gone over the top twice in 18 months and it did no damage and I it didn't make the massive crash that I thought it might.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I used to use the Milenco 'stepped' ramps so I could judge how far up I was.

Only time I've driven over the top was in temper :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
As a solo traveller I usually have to do this on my own when needed. Basically I take a visual marker through my drivers window and slowly drive on to the blocks, so far never driven too far and run off!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If it's on your side open the door wide and stick yer 'ed out (y)

Otherwise it's a guess :eek::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
As a solo traveller I usually have to do this on my own when needed. Basically I take a visual marker through my drivers window and slowly drive on to the blocks, so far never driven too far and run off!
Good idea Carol - this has been at the back of my mind for a while......along with 101 other things:blush:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
If the fridge is running when we stop I don't bother with the chocks .Falling out of bed is part of the fun lol ,but it's not happened yet lol

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have run off the end ... .. . The most annoying thing for me as a solo at a meet is when I park up, struggle with the levellers, turn my gas, fridge on ... take out all my little bits and pieces for display, fill the kettle, put it on the hob ready for a cuppa, cup out ... and someone says 'can you move over there so we can fit those in who havn't arrived yet' or some other such triviati .....

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I haven't got levelling blocks. In your opinions, are they a must?

Reactions: CWH

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You could carry a couple of bricks \ blocks with you and place these in front of the wheels not going on the ramps at the distance you want to go up the ramps to act as stops. Once you're on the ramps move the bricks tight to the other side of the wheels and they'll act as chocks. If the blocks are wooden you could drill them to take a couple of awning pegs you could hammer into the ground to ensure they don't move.

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
I have Milenco ramps, which my late partner considered essential. Now, although I still carry them, I rarely use them unless on a major slope. Just put the pillow at the highest end and I'm fine. And it certainly doesn't worry the dog.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Milenco produce a spirit level for use on your work top, that will indicate what number rise you need to be level.
Not clear in the pic but it does have corresponding numbers on the level

P1010251.JPG
www.smartoutdoors.biz_quattro_specs.jpg

ie 1/2/3/4

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@Muriel they are always coming up second hand so maybe someone on here may have some for sale at some point.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Geo
That's looks brilliant do you use that level and what if it's higher one side then the other?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Milenco produce a spirit level for use on your work top, that will indicate what number rise you need to be level.
Not clear in the pic but it does have corresponding numbers on the level

View attachment 156035 View attachment 156036
ie 1/2/3/4
More accurate (and free) if you have an Android phone (may work on iphone as well) is to get the Truma app which includes a levelling app which sets out how much you need to chock up each wheel to get it level (you first need to tell it your wheelbase and width).

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
@Muriel they are always coming up second hand so maybe someone on here may have some for sale at some point.
Thanks Joy, I will look out for them. It's another thing to lug around and I don't have much locker room but if they are a must, then I'd better get them.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
More accurate (and free) if you have an Android phone (may work on iphone as well) is to get the Truma app which includes a levelling app which sets out how much you need to chock up each wheel to get it level (you first need to tell it your wheelbase and width).
Not as sophisticated here...

I have a marble which I put on the table. The speed and direction of how it moves gives me enough to know whether to use ramps, if so where and by how much.

Marble doesn't take up much room either!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Personal opinion, no. Used them maybe 3 times in well over 600 nights away. But I can happily sleep on even quite a steep slope. Lots of people can't. The only time I felt they were essential was on site at Culloden when the pitch was a good 10-15 degrees from level, both laterally and longitudinally... Oh, and the fridge NEVER failed to work due to the slope!
So work out what you can manage, and find out what your fridge will tolerate, then decide whether or not you need them.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Joy, I will look out for them. It's another thing to lug around and I don't have much locker room but if they are a must, then I'd better get them.
Hi Muriel .. if you are going somewhere on a site that has hard standing you prob won't need them as they are usually level. Also I manage with one pair .. some people have 2 prs but i have never needed more than one or two levellers in all my years. Will they fit on the floor in front of the passenger seat? Once on site u just leave them tucked under your van.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
.. as Wendy says.. some fridges don't work if not level .. my fridge works but my hob is temperamental. I bought some as I was fed up of sliding off the bed in the night .. or waking up and my covers on the floor. Also if really bad it's like being sea sick. :)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I have a brilliant technique that I feel may be helpful

I look for a moderately level site. Works every time

Another reason for not buying a 9M van when I only need a 6M one for touring

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Number one rule, works every time, 100% accurate. If Mrs Badknees gin and tonic don't slide off the table it's level enough. (y):D2

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sorry, double post.
And it wasn't that funny.