Jo,s first time driving motorhome (1 Viewer)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Jo had her first taste of driving a Motorhome today at the NEC show.The Caravan & Motorhome Club were doing 30min taster sessions free.she did really well and is well chuffed with herself.(y)

Attachments

• IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 166

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Excellent, now get her out on the road as soon as possible, to keep her confidence high and to enhance those new skills (y)

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Well done Jo, time to drive your motorhome now, you know you can do it. If you're still nervous do what I did - I got Allan to drive our RV to a local industrial estate one night then I took over. It was great to be able to drive round the roads and junctions with no other traffic. I could practise reversing too. It gave me the confidence in our vehicle and I quite often drive now.

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
I did that at Event City, Manchester but I only got 15 minutes, harumph . Was really informative though. Had the same instructor as well! Will be driving our own a week on Friday when we pick it up

Well done Jo, hope it's given you confidence to get on the road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Having driven a wide variety of vehicles, it is my opinion that the bigger they are, the easier they can be to drive. It is the size that many people have trouble adapting to. Last year, after a bang on the head, I could not drive for six months. My wife had never expressed any interest in driving the van but when needs must, she did. I think she was surprised how easy it was to drive and only feared reversing. This she had to do in a dead end road, where once more her fears were not realised. Later last year I became unwell crossing the Pyrenees and she brought the van back home with not a hint of problems.
I am wondering now whether her reluctance to drive was due to it being nicer to just sit there and be driven, while she admired the scenery.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Great stuff(y)

It's important for your wife to be able to drive the van.

It enables you to have the option of drinking much more beer, more often.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Well done wish I was confident to have a go.

You should give it a go you know.

It's got a big rear view mirror for putting your make up on:D2

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
My wife can and will drive our van. But she will not drive abroad. Where it is easier. She will not believe me. But well done that young lady. Keep it up.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Well for some reason I CANNOT get my wife to drive the ML I or the transit before that. She just will not.
This is a bit bad for somebody that has driven a double decker bus, has had a long wheelbase Transit as a day to day transport, Has AMI certificates for Cars and bikes. and drove for 46 years without any accidents or points.
How can I get her to go ahead, It is a full automatic and being a Sprinter is narrower than all the others???????????????? WTFN. I always drive and it get knackering I would like a spell of rest now and again, especially if we go to Naples later this year, If I feel ill what happens then.?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Well done Jo but why has it taken you so long? Mind over matter Jo. Just tell yourself if a man can do it so can you. :D2

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Well for some reason I CANNOT get my wife to drive the ML I or the transit before that. She just will not.
This is a bit bad for somebody that has driven a double decker bus, has had a long wheelbase Transit as a day to day transport, Has AMI certificates for Cars and bikes. and drove for 46 years without any accidents or points.
How can I get her to go ahead, It is a full automatic and being a Sprinter is narrower than all the others???????????????? WTFN. I always drive and it get knackering I would like a spell of rest now and again, especially if we go to Naples later this year, If I feel ill what happens then.?
Sorry to hear that. I've been a keen driver all of my life, passed test within a few weeks of 17 th birthday; thought nothing of driving across France to the Med in one go when I was in my early 20s.

But, it all changes as age creeps up. These days I really appreciate the fact that Mrs mikebeaches is more than happy to share the driving. And I also enjoy travelling as a passenger. We are fortunate to be able to take it in turns. Generally only drive for 90 mins max before swapping over.

We also try not to spend too much of the day travelling, but still manage to go all over Europe.

Hope your wife will give it a go sometime.

Oh, and to the OP - Well done Jo!!

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Well done. I had no choice but to drive mine when John was taken ill in Germany a few years ago. It was a baptism of fire and I so wished I'd done it before. I was amazed though as after a few minutes I realised it was just like driving a car - your brain quickly adapts to the size of it and does its own calculations for the size of the road, getting past parked cars etc.
I don't know now why I was so frightened of it.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Well done Steph! It really is getting over that first time behind the wheel, after which it is just like driving a car but with better visibility.
Gwaygway's partner may have other issues, as she is familiar with different vehicles; perhaps she just likes to be driven or does not want to take on the responsibility of driving the families expensive mobile home.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Fear is all in the mind...I drove our MH back from Somerset on Monday and enjoyed it enormously...despite feeling very nervous, particularly about the rear overhang, at the beginning. We're taking the MH manoeuvering course on March 5th at Corby I wanted to be familiar with the gearbox and the feel of the MH before then so that I can take advantage of all the new stuff we are likely to learn there. Glad I did....so ladies....go on have a go....driving on an Industrial estate at the weekend sounds like a great idea..no hassle or worries re other traffic. I'm now looking forward to the course and am holping that I shall feel increased confidence when we set off for the Continent in 3 weeks time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back