January Skiing in Val Thorens (3 Viewers)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
There is gas at Albertville and there is also Gas on the motorway at the junction prior to exit heading from France. However, last year our normal gas stop on the motorway was out of action for LPG as it had all frozen.

Booking parking is not essential but recommended. If you read their web site they definitely like you to book space. However when we have been there, there always appears plenty of space, when we have rang previously and asked, they have said, you can't turn up but then when we have actually been there, we have spoken to others whom have done just that. If you are going to "last years place :winky:" they give you a free night if you book 6 or 7, cant quite remember.

if you get stuck though, you could just nip 10 mins down the mountain to "this years place" at Les Menuires aire, that way you are not committed if its a white out week at VT.

I am still undecided where we are heading with our merry bunch of skiers for part two, "return of the Skiers"
There's 4 or 5 vans so we think we may be heading for Montgeneve from the 13-24th if your out there for the season.
however we won't be as much fun as this party as none of us drink and we are all born again Christians or former Nuns, we will also have teenagers with us. And the only reason we go skiing is to get as high as we can to God.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PMSL

:winky::winky::winky::winky::winky:

Paul is the Albertville the one on the bottom of the mountain that we went to ... as you know I was in shock at the time :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

There is gas at Albertville and there is also Gas on the motorway at the junction prior to exit heading from France. However, last year our normal gas stop on the motorway was out of action for LPG as it had all frozen.

Booking parking is not essential but recommended. If you read their web site they definitely like you to book space. However when we have been there, there always appears plenty of space, when we have rang previously and asked, they have said, you can't turn up but then when we have actually been there, we have spoken to others whom have done just that. If you are going to "last years place :winky:" they give you a free night if you book 6 or 7, cant quite remember.

if you get stuck though, you could just nip 10 mins down the mountain to "this years place" at Les Menuires aire, that way you are not committed if its a white out week at VT.

I am still undecided where we are heading with our merry bunch of skiers for part two, "return of the Skiers"
There's 4 or 5 vans so we think we may be heading for Montgeneve from the 13-24th if your out there for the season.
however we won't be as much fun as this party as none of us drink and we are all born again Christians or former Nuns, we will also have teenagers with us. And the only reason we go skiing is to get as high as we can to God.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PMSL

:winky::winky::winky::winky::winky:

Paul is the Albertville the one on the bottom of the mountain that we went to ... as you know I was in shock at the time :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

yes Kath,

However, best not to use my Sat Nav to get there :winky:

Here is where we look to be heading. Ifyou pan around you can see the Aire, it has electric and is just 10e per night reducing the longer you stay, the lift is right outside your door, literally.
The great advantage of it, is that on one day, you will see my Face book status that will simply say "running to Italy for a Pizza" how cool will that be? my friends in the running club will think ive gone super ultra.
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Great little resort Montgenevre we've skied there quite a few times. Had 3 birthdays in a row there used to go to a little bar most nights get free drinks on my birthday :ROFLMAO: but could'nt ski the next day.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
OK then!

So far we have-

1. Jon and Shell + kids (from the 6th to 18th)

2. Champers, John and Kath (from the 14th)

3. Monsi (from the 14th)

4. CLS (from the 14th)

5. Ash,Steve and Lynne (possibly from the 14th!)

6. Petensal, Pete and Sally (+ kids? At some point)

7. 1948 (for a couple of days, at some point)

8. Mogbl, Richard and Mo (from about the 8th)

Whilst I am here posting anyway, when do you arrivals on 14th plan staying until? We can add the dates in case anyone else fancies coming along during the 3rd week.:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
yes Kath,

Here is where we look to be heading. Ifyou pan around you can see the Aire, it has electric and is just 10e per night reducing the longer you stay, the lift is right outside your door, literally.
The great advantage of it, is that on one day, you will see my Face book status that will simply say "running to Italy for a Pizza" how cool will that be? my friends in the running club will think ive gone super ultra.
Link Removed

Yes, but look at all those trees Paul!

At least at Val Thorens, a less-accomplished skier like myself has only got other skiers to avoid!:ROFLMAO:

Not to mention the fact that it has hookup! How will you justify those batteries, B2B charger, inverter and NASA BM1 to Nikki now?!!

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
iam a newbie
yes Kath,

Link Removed

Thanks for the pm , mate , most helpful, were gonna book the aire for the kid's holidays in feb , has anyone found any good deals ferry wise ???, also am i right in thinking there is electric hook up there, as in constant ??..... this is gonna be our first trip ski ing in the motorhome , so any heads up on any tips would be always welcome , even " don't eat yellow snow lol :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Thanks for the pm , mate , most helpful, were gonna book the aire for the kid's holidays in feb , has anyone found any good deals ferry wise ???, also am i right in thinking there is electric hook up there, as in constant ??..... this is gonna be our first trip ski ing in the motorhome , so any heads up on any tips would be always welcome , even " don't eat yellow snow lol :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No mate not constant leckie just a 20 min Bourne type thing. If your going in feb who knows might see you there, VT is amazing skiing , we may be down the road at the cheaper more beautiful with electric les menuires so maybe we ski up for a coffee

Nov 21, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
iam a newbie
yes Kath,

Link Removed

No mate not constant leckie just a 20 min Bourne type thing. If your going in feb who knows might see you there, VT is amazing skiing , we may be down the road at the cheaper more beautiful with electric les menuires so maybe we ski up for a coffee

les menuires, i would imagine is lower down the mountain , were thinking . may be a safer option with kid's first time out . is there plenty of nursery slopes to learn on ??

Nov 21, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
iam a newbie
les menuires, i would imagine is lower down the mountain , were thinking . may be a safer option with kid's first time out . is there plenty of nursery slopes to learn on ??

Sorry for the million-1 questions, can you book the aire @ les menuires, or is it by ticket on arrival ??
Had a squint on motorhome ski site looks good , great pitch , loads of space ,looks like the answer ............:Smile::Smile:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
OK then!

So far we have-

3. Monsi (from the 14th)

4. CLS (from the 14th)

Whilst I am here posting anyway, when do you arrivals on 14th plan staying until? We can add the dates in case anyone else fancies coming along during the 3rd week.:thumb:
Still trying to persude Mrs Jaygee to go:winky:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Lm is about 400 m lower but still very easy to ski VT from there without having to worry to much about the negative things that VT can bring namely the cold and added expense.
The good thing about VT is guaranteed snow all over, the first time we went there was a lack of snow across the alps but VT held up well.
However LM has an equal snow record, is prettier, and worse case scenario I could get on a lift and be at VT in 5 mins anyway.

As we are going on the feb mission with some non skiers Bungy and funster driving with his two teenagers and another set of skiers I have checked it out thoroughly including skiing down there from VT last year for a good look. It has a free ski lift in to the town from the Aire, loads more entertainment lots of magic carpet ski lifts for beginners plus the added bonus of ski in ski out of the van.
The only negative is that you can not book on too the aire so we will take a chance. Again the last few years we have looked there has been plenty of space, worse case scenario would be we drove the next 20 mins up to VT anyway.

The only other thing is that I have a hankering for Montgeneve and need to get that out me head although I like the idea of something new, a ski in ski out aire with electric, in an area I have never skied.

The one thing for anyone to remember reading this thread is that you have a motorhome. You can change your mind and head for wherever you want depending on snow conditions. Often we have had no ideas until a week before we have gone that's the beauty of taking a van skiing.

Wherever you end up, enjoy :thumb:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Lm is about 400 m lower but still very easy to ski VT from there without having to worry to much about the negative things that VT can bring namely the cold and added expense.
The good thing about VT is guaranteed snow all over, the first time we went there was a lack of snow across the alps but VT held up well.
However LM has an equal snow record, is prettier, and worse case scenario I could get on a lift and be at VT in 5 mins anyway.

As we are going on the feb mission with some [HI]non skiers Bungy[/HI] and funster driving with his two teenagers and another set of skiers I have checked it out thoroughly including skiing down there from VT last year for a good look. It has a free ski lift in to the town from the Aire, loads more entertainment lots of magic carpet ski lifts for beginners plus the added bonus of ski in ski out of the van.
The only negative is that you can not book on too the aire so we will take a chance. Again the last few years we have looked there has been plenty of space, worse case scenario would be we drove the next 20 mins up to VT anyway.

The only other thing is that I have a hankering for Montgeneve and need to get that out me head although I like the idea of something new, a ski in ski out aire with electric, in an area I have never skied.

The one thing for anyone to remember reading this thread is that you have a motorhome. You can change your mind and head for wherever you want depending on snow conditions. Often we have had no ideas until a week before we have gone that's the beauty of taking a van skiing.

Wherever you end up, enjoy :thumb:

OI i can 'ski'

i can do a brewski, pintski, shortski and i can do a mean falloverski::bigsmile:

and i bet you didnt know i spoke Russian - impressive or what:roflmto:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
good news

"Recent snowfall in the Alps has led to dozens of ski resorts opening early. According to our ski expert Peter Hardy, whether you're planning to spend Christmas or New Year in either the Alps or the Pyrenees - adequate snow cover is now virtually guaranteed"

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
good news

"Recent snowfall in the Alps has led to dozens of ski resorts opening early. According to our ski expert Peter Hardy, whether you're planning to spend Christmas or New Year in either the Alps or the Pyrenees - adequate snow cover is now virtually guaranteed"

Yes good news maybe, but my experience tells me ta things can change very quickly, Nikki and I once arrived in snow drifts and left in slush just 7 days later over new year, skiing was next to impossible he day we left :Smile:

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
OK then!

So far we have-

3. Monsi (from the 14th)

4. CLS (from the 14th)

We are crossing on the Tunnel on the 13th along with Monsi and Ash , we will spend Sunday night at Cite Europe and then head to Annecy aires for Monday. We will then head up the mountain and if all goes to plan we should be at VT around lunchtime on the 15th. We are booked on VT for 10 days of FUN ::bigsmile:::bigsmile: AND :drink::drink: oh and may be try some skiing as well ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
So that'll be 'Skiing at Val Thorens, 6th to 25th January'!!!!!!!!

Bringing enough drink to last the full duration might result in your van being a touch overweight!:roflmto:

It'll be nice to have people come and go freely, we'll be there first to bag the best view, so you can fight over our pitch when we leave!!!!:ROFLMAO:

The kids are getting quite exited now. Does anyone fancy doing the night time toboggan run?

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
skiing

I may have this wrong, it would not be the first time. But to get from Montgenevre to Val Thorens and vice versa you have to drive around the mountain. At least that's what Google maps are showing me. One other question any problems with a tag axel on these roads. I find mine does not like it if it is the lease bit slippy. Yes I have winter tyres and snow chains but at nearly 5 tons and front wheel drive it is a pain. Spent the whole season last year in Soll which was nice and saved a lot on ski pass but this year we want to venture about a bit.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I may have this wrong, it would not be the first time. But to get from Montgenevre to Val Thorens and vice versa you have to drive around the mountain. At least that's what Google maps are showing me. One other question any problems with a tag axel on these roads. I find mine does not like it if it is the lease bit slippy. Yes I have winter tyres and snow chains but at nearly 5 tons and front wheel drive it is a pain. Spent the whole season last year in Soll which was nice and saved a lot on ski pass but this year we want to venture about a bit.

Hi

The French are very good at keeping the VT access road clear. The road up to VT is very winding to avoid the gradient being too steep.
I couldn't vouch for your van's traction on packed snow with chains, but it might be worth PMing Jaygee or Monsi for their opinions. They both run tags and have been to the area before.
My hunch is you'll be Ok, but seeking more experienced opinions would be my best advice.:thumb:

Champers have just got a tag-axle Frankia, so please post away if you get any advice, it will help others.::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Most access roads to ski resorts are kept clear with regular ploughing. However you may have cause to use your chains but I would not worry to much about front wheel slippage. We have had occasions where the roads are slippery in the day with ice especially last year.
We have also had to use chains before now- however experience has taught me over the years to get to moutiers and assess the situation. Try and climb the mountain when the sun is at its highest so any ice is reduced. If it's snowing wait...don't try climbing the mountain at night or when darkness is coming. All common sense really but be prepared but don't worry too much.
All of the advice I've given we have ignored before and had some difficulties especially ddoing some proper col s (mountain passes) with my little lads hanging on for grim life and me and Nikkei whiter the the snow

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I may have this wrong, it would not be the first time. But to get from Montgenevre to Val Thorens and vice versa you have to drive around the mountain. At least that's what Google maps are showing me. One other question any problems with a tag axel on these roads. I find mine does not like it if it is the lease bit slippy. Yes I have winter tyres and snow chains but at nearly 5 tons and front wheel drive it is a pain. Spent the whole season last year in Soll which was nice and saved a lot on ski pass but this year we want to venture about a bit.[/QUOTE
Our tag goes about the same weight and we never had any problems,we have michelin XC camper tyres fitted which are not the best for grip in normal conditions! but a good amount of tread which helps.
Even comming out of the camp/car park at VT after a heavy snowfall we had plenty of grip and being a tag the rear end always feels stable.
We never used the snow chains but have traction control which helps
As said the roads are kept clear so you should be ok
:thumb:Tony

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Mines a 25ft tag axle which we have driven in very deep snow with and without chains and never had any grip problems. We skied VT last year and came down in deep snow as soon as it had been ploughed, we used our chains and had no problems at all. We do have quite a short overhang but still make sure we don't put too much weight in the garage when going skiing. No problems with a tag axle don't worry just use a bit of common sense and go for it :thumb:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
soll to val thoren

We shall be in Soll until 6th Jan then we could head down there and join you probably about the 8th. Couple of questions

Is there a place to fill our gaslow tanks?
Will probably have to come down through Switzerland we are over 3.5t what do we need for Swiss tolls?
Can you pay for carpark on arrival or is it advisable to prebook

Thanks Richard & Mo

hi mogbl
the alternative route to vt from soll is via italy innsbruck/verona/torino/chambery(france)/val thoren saving all the hassel in getting vingrette from swisserland motorway all the way ltill last bit going up to vt.

Snow came in abundant this season lots of lots of it,
With regards to booking for anything, general not necessary or problem in Jan. I will be really, really surprise if you cannot get in anywhere, In fact local bobby never borders you wild camping (within reason) in Jan But very stright in Feb and you cannot get away parking in non official spots.
Seasonal greetings to all

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Us, being a pair of old buddies, won't be doing this, but I so enjoy your plans, the route you'll take and, imagined, the fun you'll have. I so wish we were younger, legs pain-free, money(?) copious (Hmmmm). To be fair, I just want to curl up till spring comes but what views you'll have, sights, company, fun. Have a great time. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
When I saw you had posted on this thread Ivy (loujes) for a moment I thought you were booking on to go :ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I Do keep looking at the skiing post and keep thinking about this lol

well its about time, youv'e been looking at it for years :Eeek:

The family trip for February has 5 attendees, :thumb: