Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Mario197575

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hello, I have crossed the itchen bridge, in the payment zone i haven't 50p to pay the crossing, I press the button to call support but nobody answer me. I went back. What can I do now? What is going to happen?
Thanks

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Mario,
Welcome to Fun. Hopefully you have sorted this out by the time you read this post. I would not let the lack of 50 pence stop me from continuing my journey:D2

OP
OP
Mario197575

Mario197575

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hello! Im very worried about what happened, i haven't coins with me, I' afraid of pay a huge bill or points in my licence driver, if I want fun or comedy definitely I chose other forum.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
There is a manned toll booth at the woolston end of the bridge, go there and explain the situation.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I would not worry if I was you. At worst a small fine and if you explain you tried to call and received no reply perhaps they will understañd. It's only 50 pence and I don't th9nk they will spend too much effort recovering that. However, if your really worried and it's going to spoil your holiday why not send them an email and explain what has happened and you are willing to pay through your credit/ Debit card.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Ring the bridge office on the number in the link below, explain what happened and offer to make immediate payment by whatever method they suggest:

Good luck!

OP
OP
Mario197575

Mario197575

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Thank you very much for your reply, you calm me down. I'm driving in UK about 2 months and I need car for work. I use Google maps and in this days you always have the credit car payment as option. This looks a trap for people like me(noobs who just have credit card)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Aw Mario glad you spoke to a nice lady. Worries over.:)

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
I think the signs at each end of bridge make it clear !!!

itchen bridge.png

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I only normally use that bridge a couple of times a year. It charges according to the height of your bonnet. My Discovery is £1.20 with suspension at normal road height but if I put it in access height it goes for 50p.

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
Many the rests we had when cycling to the New Forest from Portsmouth as we waited for the chain ferry( two were in use then), as it was free for cyclists.
Happy days

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
£1.50 to use the Humber Bridge. When it was built, we where told that "By the millennium it will be FREE". Yeah, Right!. With the current level of motoring taxation. There should be NO tolls anywhere!.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Do i read it correct a Fiat Ducato would be 1.20

Well they wanted £25 for my Rapido9 series! :mad:

The "2.39"m is the height of the vehicle in line with the centre of the front wheel.

I refused to pay and eventually they allowed me across for £1.20. :whistle:

The Manager of the bridge replied to my very shirty email saying that they had given the operatives discretion to charge different rates in difficult circumstances and so he hoped I was pleased with their enlightened attitude. :rolleyes:

I will not be crossing there again.

Gordon

PS IF they'd insisted on £25, I'd have had to give them £30, as I didn't have a £5 note.:mad:

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
£1.50 to use the Humber Bridge. When it was built, we where told that "By the millennium it will be FREE". Yeah, Right!. With the current level of motoring taxation. There should be NO tolls anywhere!.
Humber bridge. Good value for money , after all it’s not going to break the bank

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Humber bridge. Good value for money , after all it’s not going to break the bank

A colleague took her daughter from Norwich to Hull for a University interview.
She was appalled at the cost of crossing the Humber, so came back entirely on "land".;)

Unfortunately, she missed the turning for the A1 from the M18 and ended up on the outskirts of Sheffield.
That added approx 80miles and 2 hours to the journey.:LOL:

Ever since then she used the bridge! :whistle:

Gordon

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Not exactly disagreeing with that. However When it was Promised By a Labour Government. we where told it would be FREE once the initial bridge cost was paid for!.

Just proves ALL government LIES.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Sod that for £25 if it measures the height of the front of my roof I am a Lorry and It wouldn't be worth that much to drive the long way round. A class with no bonnet.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Sod that for £25 if it measures the height of the front of my roof I am a Lorry and It wouldn't be worth that much to drive the long way round. A class with no bonnet.

My feeling exactly, BUT you don't get any warning until just before the toll barrier. (n)
I sat there for about 10minutes, blocking the traffic - that may have helped with the decision to let me have the lower fee! :D

Gordon

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Reminds me of the time when we went to Tunisia and you could only get currency once in the Country. Jumped in the hire car and headed for the resort thinking I would get the money there. There was a toll road which I didn't realise and the cost was the equivalent of 20p which I didn't have. I had to leave my drivers licence with the toll office and go and get the money changed and return. Ended up having to pay 3 times as I had to go north to get the money then south to pay and collect my licence and then north again to go to the resort.
Learning from that mistake when we were leaving and having spent all of our dinar apart from the coin for the return toll I was feeling smug. Unfortunately I didn't realise that I was expected to pay the equivalent of 5p to park the hire car back at the airport. The Guy was quite insistent that I had to pay but in the end I just drove in with him chasing me round the car park. I could only apologise and refer him to the hire company for payment.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Reminds me of the time when we went to Tunisia and you could only get currency once in the Country. Jumped in the hire car and headed for the resort thinking I would get the money there. There was a toll road which I didn't realise and the cost was the equivalent of 20p which I didn't have. I had to leave my drivers licence with the toll office and go and get the money changed and return. Ended up having to pay 3 times as I had to go north to get the money then south to pay and collect my licence and then north again to go to the resort.
Learning from that mistake when we were leaving and having spent all of our dinar apart from the coin for the return toll I was feeling smug. Unfortunately I didn't realise that I was expected to pay the equivalent of 5p to park the hire car back at the airport. The Guy was quite insistent that I had to pay but in the end I just drove in with him chasing me round the car park. I could only apologise and refer him to the hire company for payment.

Did same sort of thing in Florida one year, came in a late flight so it was dark got on the toll road to Orlando then came up to an unmanned toll booth
You normally just throw change in but we had none so thought about it for a fee minutes then just drove through, alarm went off but just carries on going never had anything come back about it!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Until they withdrew the Humber ferry. Some people actually continued to cross by boat!. I still know people who on principle, Use the M62-M18-M180.!.:)

And you have to be careful, if you are in a TAG axle truck, if you cross "light" with the tag down it`s a extra £3!. Sat in the Toll booth once arguing with an attendant. HE said the tag was down, I had a light in the cab showing it UP:rolleyes:. In the end he gave in.! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back