Islay Scotland July. Best Route? (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I didn't rate the island as highly as the western isles, but what a friendly place it is

literally everybody will wave to you on the road

best gin I have ever had Botanist from Bruichladdich

best whisky Bev has had from Bunnahabhain

the ferry was a much longer crossing that we had expected

we took a ferry across from Glasgow to Kintyre peninsular then acrosss to Islay and came back via Arran, or it is a longer drive round

apart from that it is pretty flat with arable farms, no mountains no eagles the main reason I prefer Harris (y)

Top tip Islay is pronounced eye - la, not is - lay (y)

have a great time :)(y)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We went Kennacraig to Islay, it was 2 & 1/4 hours on ferry. You can do the trip via arran and still go from Kennacraig. Camp site is at port mor near port charlotte. What vans seem to do was a couple nights wild then 1 night on the site, wardens name is James. We saw an eagle up on the west coast , just the once. As said very friendly everyone waves as they pass in their cars. You can get across to Jura on the ferry/ landing craft, we went for the day. The rspb does walks and talks if that is of interest. All in all a very nice place to visit, we will definitely go back.
Ps there is a cl site near Kennacraig ferry terminal corran farm £6 a night if needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Can't tell from your post if you are in your MH or going by car, but one thing we couldn't do was get over to Jura which I would have liked to do as it is only accessible via Islay, we could get on with our 8m MH due to tide levels, they did say it will about 50/50 at that length and then a risk of not getting back!!

If in a car I would suggest crossing for the day (y)(y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
IMG_20170705_204436.jpg

The bottom Les pit with his grandad
Oooops wrong thread
Bill

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
A few years back I did Ardrossan to Campbeltown, Kennacraig to Islay and back, then Claonaig to Lochcranza on Arran and back to Ardrossan from Brodick. Calmac did Hopscotch tickets that covered popular touring routes, if they still do it should make it easier and cheaper.

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, a few years ago we did a hop scotch with a 9 meter RV via Arran, to islay. The ferry ramp a Lochranza is very steep and care taken while loading. Islay is quite small although there are great beaches. In particular Kiloman. There are restruants at Kiloman, Bowmore, Ardbeg and others with cafes. One called the Outback cafe you have to watch for the signpost to it. Fuel expensive as you would expect, lgp bottles at the fuel pumps.
We saw Eagles on the Or peninsular when we visited the American monument. It is a RSPB reserve, it is a very narrow road to it but has a good size car park, possible wild camping.
Good luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back