TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've just booked a campsite in Spain where friends of ours, also Funsters, are joining a C&CC rally. When I enquired before christmas the rally was full so we left it. But it was only a day or so ago we realised we'd be in the area so checked direct with the site online, got a pitch straightaway at a much better rate.

We are C&CC members - wonder what the reaction of the organisers will be?

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
We've just booked a campsite in Spain where friends of ours, also Funsters, are joining a C&CC rally. When I enquired before christmas the rally was full so we left it. But it was only a day or so ago we realised we'd be in the area so checked direct with the site online, got a pitch straightaway at a much better rate.

Be interesting to see if they include you in there activities etc

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008

The organisers won’t speak to you and you won’t be able to join in
::bigsmile:

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
I didn't know that virgins had a wine club of their own. How do you prove entitlement?
I would imagine that after a busy tasting session there is a possibility that the membership numbers might drop a bit

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
We were on one C&CC Rally for 10 days last winter and one of the stewards found it quite difficult to talk to the members! His partner was a bit better and she led most of the activities. They have moved on to another Rally for this year. At the other rally we went to, both stewards did a grand job throughout and we would have stayed longer if we hadn't been meeting friends elsewhere.

I spent some time looking at recent reviews of Rallies on the C&CC website the other day, as we have some booked. On one of them, Marjal, the stewards are new this year and a couple of comments mention the transparency of book-keeping. We haven't been there but wonder what that might say about the previous stewards!

Like everything else, there is a mixture, I suspect but you would have thought that the stewards would in some way have a responsibility to be 'ambassadors' for the club and be welcoming of potential new blood.

I do find the booking requirement to use the C&CC for the crossing annoying, as is their requirement that you must have an International Camping Card, a requirement not fulfilled by the ACSI ID card. I accept that you could get the tunnel more cheaply elsewhere but it would probably only be a few quid, unless you are a frequent traveller.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I cannot talk about rally's as they are not our cup of tea but I do remember our first lengthy trip into Europe. We booked everything including insurance and Eurotunnel via the Caravan Club as it then was. Over the course of three months we kept a record of what the places we stayed at would have charged had we booked independently. The total we would have saved by doing so would have been not far short of £1000. What a big mistake we made. We though the Cub would het us the best rices and discounts, they probably did get discounts but they were not passed on to us. One example was a very nice site in central France, The club charged us 33 euros a night for three nights but for the same pitch we could have booked independently and paid 25 euros a night for two nights with one further night free. It all left rather bitter taste in the mouth.

I am Still a member as I like using the CL network but I wouldn't dream of booking anything via the club now. I expect nothing has changed.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
It would wrong for C&CC members to come on to a site where a Rally is being held and book a pitch direct with the site outwith the rally area and then take advantage , attend or expect to be included in activity's organised by the stewards .

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It would wrong for C&CC members to come on to a site where a Rally is being held and book a pitch direct with the site outwith the rally area and then take advantage , attend or expect to be included in activity's organised by the stewards .
Why? It's the Friendly club, isn't it? Or is it. Some club rallies can be very clicky, and that sort of attitude highlights it. Not talking with someone who is on the fringe of the club is not a good advert for it. Surely it'd be more of an incentive if the outsiders were welcomed, and shown the benefits of joining in. TBH if they behave like that (not talking to you), I'm not interested.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Why? It's the Friendly club, isn't it? Or is it. Some club rallies can be very clicky, and that sort of attitude highlights it. Not talking with someone who is on the fringe of the club is not a good advert for it. Surely it'd be more of an incentive if the outsiders were welcomed, and shown the benefits of joining in. TBH if they behave like that, I'm not interested.

If a member arrived at a site having pre booked a pitch, they might then see that a rally is taking place and out of curiosity go along to see what's going on. I think it would be better for people attending the rally or especially stewards to welcome them and give an explanation or perhaps invite them to the part, of course they may be asked to contribute to any financial costs for to be shunned would not be pleasant.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I do find the booking requirement to use the C&CC for the crossing annoying, as is their requirement that you must have an International Camping Card, a requirement not fulfilled by the ACSI ID card. I accept that you could get the tunnel more cheaply elsewhere but it would probably only be a few quid, unless you are a frequent traveller.
We used the C&CC to book discounted Euro tunnel tickets last year, there was no mention of an International Camping Card, just a straight forward transaction.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Why? It's the Friendly club, isn't it? Or is it. Some club rallies can be very clicky, and that sort of attitude highlights it. Not talking with someone who is on the fringe of the club is not a good advert for it. Surely it'd be more of an incentive if the outsiders were welcomed, and shown the benefits of joining in. TBH if they behave like that (not talking to you), I'm not interested.

Try visiting your local golf club and seeing if you are welcomed with open arms and given full use of the facilities.

After all, you are a potential member (unless you are already a member, in which case try the swimming club/football club/gym/bowls club/ "private members club" :LOL: )

Gordon

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
We used the C&CC to book discounted Euro tunnel tickets last year, there was no mention of an International Camping Card, just a straight forward transaction.

They only say you need one when booking the Rallies. The wording on their pages is "A valid Camping Card International (CCI), available from the Club, is required for all our overseas rallies."

As you say, ordinary tunnel and ferry bookings are fine, as is booking a site outside the Rally periods.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Tell you what, I'll book independently, and report back what the reception is like. I'll talk to them, but have no desire to join in the activities unless invited.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Why? It's the Friendly club, isn't it? Or is it. Some club rallies can be very clicky, and that sort of attitude highlights it. Not talking with someone who is on the fringe of the club is not a good advert for it. Surely it'd be more of an incentive if the outsiders were welcomed, and shown the benefits of joining in. TBH if they behave like that (not talking to you), I'm not interested.[

I don't see a problem with non club rally members being interested in whats is going on and enquiring about the organised activities there is absolutely nothing wrong with that , but when non member campers are accessing the functions and taking advantage of other services provided by the rally and the stewards its a tad unfair on the Rally members who have paid the for full package .

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

Have to agree. It was literally a last minute decision to book that particular site, and only because our friends are going to be there. As it happens, due to other commitments, we'll only be there for 3 nights and have no real intention/desire to join in the Rally programme. However it will be interesting to see what the reaction is.

We have "run into" C&CC Overseas Rallys before and generaly been welcomed, though again it was only for a short stay and we didn't want to join in any of their current activities.

May 18, 2014
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation3
Exp
Since 2011
We’ve been members of the CCC for years, trailer tents, caravans and Motorhomes and it only took a year or three before we realised that they, and the other ‘club’ are not true clubs - they are businesses and out to make a profit.

Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, I am a steward on a rally in Spain and I would like to answer a few of your comments.
1.The rally in Marjal is fully booked with 195 pitches taken that could mean that there is nearly 400 people taking part in the rally, we are very fortunate and have a large rally club house which will seat 170 people comfortably and leave a dance floor, why should we allow non rally members to take valuable seats when we are fully subscribed by ralliers.
2. Members of the club can come into the office and we will help them all we can even if they aren’t on the rally.
3. Non ralliers can use the book exchange and dvd exchange with no charge.
4. I have personally assisted in a Finnish couple and a Dutch couple in joining the club whilst here, and a number of German, French, Dutch and Italian in joining whilst in Portugal.
5. Anyone can come to the club house and we will welcome them but also explain the limits we have.
6. On a Wednesday we have a Dinner Dance and non ralliers can book places within the club house to attend this and also the Friday lunch.
7. People join a rally to partake in what is available at their choice, if you don’t want to join a rally you can’t expect to partake in the activities that are organised for ralliers.
8. Cliques do exist, but you tell me that where there are 400 like minded people together that this won’t happen. We do try, and are very successful in getting people together and trying our hardest to enable people to enjoy the rally.

So you see we are not the ogres that we are being classed as.

Regards

Bob

Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
Its not a club, everone get over it

Like the Royal Automobile Club (of which many on here are ‘members’) is not a club

Im a ‘member’ of Virgin Wine ‘Club’
I used to be a member, enjoyed it very much,but once after a particularly fine wine I got talking to a very pretty woman. One thing led to another so to speak and had a great night. Next morning had to ring them up and cancel my membership as I no longer qualified Hey ho that's how it goes somtimes.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It’s the term of their contract. It’s up to you whether you accept their contract.

I could organise an event that is limited to only blue coloured Motorhomes. My event, my rules.

Nothing illegal there.

Ian
So don't take the contract!

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Does this one off £75 payment go to the club, or to the organisers of the rally to pay for the rally's events? Or is it just so rally goers may (or may not) speak to me? Either way, I still don't like it. £75 is extortionate, there are plenty of alternative venues.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Does this one off £75 payment go to the club, or to the organisers of the rally to pay for the rally's events? Or is it just so rally goers may (or may not) speak to me? Either way, I still don't like it. £75 is extortionate, there are plenty of alternative venues.

It’s really got to you hasn’t it!

Ian

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Hi, I am a steward on a rally in Spain and I would like to answer a few of your comments.
1.The rally in Marjal is fully booked with 195 pitches taken that could mean that there is nearly 400 people taking part in the rally, we are very fortunate and have a large rally club house which will seat 170 people comfortably and leave a dance floor, why should we allow non rally members to take valuable seats when we are fully subscribed by ralliers.
2. Members of the club can come into the office and we will help them all we can even if they aren’t on the rally.
3. Non ralliers can use the book exchange and dvd exchange with no charge.
4. I have personally assisted in a Finnish couple and a Dutch couple in joining the club whilst here, and a number of German, French, Dutch and Italian in joining whilst in Portugal.
5. Anyone can come to the club house and we will welcome them but also explain the limits we have.
6. On a Wednesday we have a Dinner Dance and non ralliers can book places within the club house to attend this and also the Friday lunch.
7. People join a rally to partake in what is available at their choice, if you don’t want to join a rally you can’t expect to partake in the activities that are organised for ralliers.
8. Cliques do exist, but you tell me that where there are 400 like minded people together that this won’t happen. We do try, and are very successful in getting people together and trying our hardest to enable people to enjoy the rally.

So you see we are not the ogres that we are being classed as.

Regards

Bob
OK. Not aimed at any particular rally organiser, I've been to a few MH ones and been very happy, and a few C&CC THS sites, likewise. I am aware of all the effort it takes to organise even a small rally, which is why I've never held one. I've been tempted, but with people like me it must be a thankless task. As someone commented, I have perhaps gone overboard on this £75 surcharge, I don't have to pay it and I won't. Though I have experienced pronounced snobism and cliques on other rallies.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp

Yes there are other alternative venues , however you can easily avoid the £75 surcharge/ booking fee by using the club to make your ferry or eurotunnel reservations as well as the rally site

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back